UK UK - Renee, 36, & Andrew MacRae, 3, Inverness Scotland, 12 Nov 1976 *arrest in 2019, killer died*

Some interesting photos of evidence there, including the burnt-out BMW car and a replica of the Volvo boot.

Company secretary Bill MacDowell very quickly came under suspicion when his secret lover Renee MacRae and her son vanished 47 years ago.

She had told a close friend about the relationship and allegedly confided to her that she was meeting him that weekend to go off together.

And this relationship led to MacDowell attending at Perth Road police station in Inverness for questioning at one stage in the early investigation.

William MacDowell.

MacDowell also became the centre of intense media interest and there was a regular procession of reporters and photographers to the door of his family home at Nairnside near Culloden, only for them to be repeatedly shown the way out.

Andrew and Renee MacRae.
Andrew and Renee MacRae.

Police say they have not given up hope of finding the bodies of a mother and son who were murdered almost 50 years ago.
William MacDowell, 81, was convicted last year of killing his lover Renee MacRae and their three-year-old son Andrew in the Highlands in 1976.
MacDowell died in prison in February without revealing where he disposed of their bodies.
Police hope a BBC Scotland documentary might lead to new information.
Murder Trial: The Disappearance of Renee and Andrew MacRae will feature footage of MacDowell's trial in Inverness and interviews with key figures in the case.
Made by Firecrest Films, the two-part Murder Trial: The Disappearance of Renee and Andrew MacRae will be shown on BBC Scotland on 22 and 29 August and BBC Two on 28 August and 4 September. Both episodes will be available on BBC iPlayer from 22 August.

Chances of finding them have to be pretty slim now but maybe this might jog memories in people who knew the kind of places he'd have had knowledge of. It should be an interesting programme anyway, solving such old cases always fascinates me.

The tragic case is the focus of Murder Trial: The Disappearance of Renee and Andrew MacRae, a two-part documentary into how police finally solved the case and brought the cold-blooded killer to justice.

It wasn't until last year that the case reached court, with William MacDowell finally facing justice.
0_BBC.png

Detectives had found that Renee had been having an affair with married man William MacDowell for many years. He was Andrew's real father, and not her estranged husband Gordon.

Renee had told just one person about the affair, her best friend Valerie Steventon who was described as a key witness in the trial.

The tragic case is the focus of Murder Trial: The Disappearance of Renee and Andrew MacRae, a two-part documentary into how police finally solved the case and brought the cold-blooded killer to justice.

It wasn't until last year that the case reached court, with William MacDowell finally facing justice.
0_BBC.png

Detectives had found that Renee had been having an affair with married man William MacDowell for many years. He was Andrew's real father, and not her estranged husband Gordon.

Renee had told just one person about the affair, her best friend Valerie Steventon who was described as a key witness in the trial.
Compelling documentary

Renee Andrew MacRae

The court was told MacDowell had been having an affair with Ms MacRae and also offered a man named Dennis Tyronney £500 to kill her and her son. Having been convicted after trial, MacDowell never admitted his guilt.

Detective Chief Inspector Brian Geddes said: “Renee and Andrew’s family and friends waited decades for justice, which was served last year.

“However, their bodies have not been found and our investigation continues to explore all possible opportunities open to us to help answer that final, most important question in order to provide Renee and Andrew with the dignity they deserve.”

He added: “This review includes considering any properties which may be linked to William MacDowell which he could have used, possibly a derelict building, an empty one or even an occupied one he had use of.

“The time scale would be the early to mid-1970s and we are hoping someone may remember seeing Renee MacRae’s BMW car in an area perhaps with MacDowell's company Volvo or the family white Range Rover.

"We are also considering possible sites where they may have met during their relationship, possibly including the Blackfold area above Loch Ness, Inverfarigaig, and between Nairnside and Daviot.”

Mr Geddes concluded: “This case will never be considered resolved until we find Renee and Andrew.

Having watched this fascinating documentary of the trial it still beggars belief that he wasn’t brought to justice a lot earlier as the Volvo repair was so damning. He was able to carry on with much of his life knowing full well what he had done.

His wife mentioning stabbing in an apparently throw away comment probably has more than a ring of truth to it. The blood curdling scream was probably due to that.

Not to mention how she stormed off in the car at the end of the trial. Wonder is she was aware all along and if she gave her husband an ultimatum back in 1976.
Yeah - glad they filmed her leaving wearing her angry face. Shame they couldn’t show it whilst giving evidence. I always think when people are that defensive it’s because they’ve got something to hide.

Yeah - glad they filmed her leaving wearing her angry face. Shame they couldn’t show it whilst giving evidence. I always think when people are that defensive it’s because they’ve got something to hide.
It was strange not showing her face in the trial, I guess she thought she'd remain anonymous, not realising the press would be outside after the verdict.

Just watched both episodes now; I hadn't realised Scotland allows filming of the actual trial now, how fascinating to see the evidence being given. Like others I felt Mrs MacDowell had a right attitude on her, most definitely made me wonder how much she knew at the time... if I were her I'd have been a bit less rude, as it may not be too late for perverting the course of justice (or the Scottish equivalent) charges to be laid.

Glad he eventually got justice, a shame he didn't live long afterwards, but at least he finished his life knowing he didn't fully get away with it. Sadly I doubt they'll be found now, the Highlands is a huge and sparsely populated area, and unless he was silly enough to hide them in a place other people knew was very familiar to him, it'll be needle in a haystack and pure blind luck required to find them. Even if it's near the Dalmagarry layby, there's still a LOT of empty land around.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back