UK UK - Sarah Everard, 33, London - Clapham Common area, 3 March 2021 #4 *Arrests*

Status
Not open for further replies.
No offence to the poster who told the story about Twitter and the police phone call but I’m sceptical that it happened exactly the way described. I saw an exchange on Twitter that looked very much like the one mentioned but it was all quite normal. Plus the only thing I’ve ever heard about police getting info from Twitter is that it’s a massive pain in the neck and takes time. I can’t see them handing over a number like that, not in that situation, and not in the space of a few hours or whatever it was. Perhaps just an awkwardly described tale.

the caller could've easily gotten the WSer's phone # by other means
maybe they searched the handle and discovered other identifiable info which led him to the phone #

ok, how? Other means how? As someone with a fairly high level of technical/IT knowledge I am trying here to prevent misinformation from spreading as truth, particularly where it scares the bejeezus out of other people, from spreading.

So how?

Right. And they’d just ask you for it, via DM or whatever. No way they’d get permission straight off the bat to demand release of personal info from Twitter that quickly when the person isn’t even thought to be involved in the crime.

normally a court order, missing persons case a little different but still possibly some sort of court order would probably be needed

random user would just be contacted and asked, they probably wouldn't go through twitter no need to

Hi,

Just signed up; I lived on Poynders Gardens (the estate) as a student for a few years. I normally don’t check the news or read forums but I am worried to my stomach about Sarah. It hits so close to home.

Poynders Road is deafeningly busy. I could hear the noise from my living room. Even during lockdown, I’d skip home at all hours, safe in the knowledge that I could see other young people, buses, vans and Deliveroo guys.

So busy that it’s one of the few streets in London that I take out my headphones to cross the street safely.

As for locals, most of the people in my estate were regular families. Mums, kids, dads, elderly ladies. It was one of the safest places I ever lived, and that’s why I am up at almost 3am terrified.

Violent crime is rare, even more so crimes like this. However, such cases disproportionately make news headlines and that can provoke unwarranted fear.

Do the sensible things to stay safe in all the situations you face. Be streetwise, be alert to your environment, risk assess what you intend to do and act accordingly to reduce any actual risk.

Males and particularly young males (16-24) are by a long way the predominant victims of violent crime.

Women and the Criminal Justice System, 2019

Last edited:
Not convinced SE did either - could be coincidental battery loss. Or perp obtaining it by force and knowing to turn it off (possibly more likely if PO). Outside option: SE was mugged for her phone (perp discarded sim to prevent blocking) and SE flagged PO to report it and PO attacked opportunistically. Phone perp never reported what they know for fear of being a suspect or charged with theft crime.

IMO it’s more likely the phone was damaged somehow, and hence went off?

True (although not sure if ‘easily’!). If some one called me out of the blue though, I’d ask how they got my number, not assume layer it must have been on my Twitter account somewhere. That said, the user may have been convinced the caller was LE and not challenged it, and the later Twitter assumption is logician given it was to do with something they tweeted. Still iffy.

Yep. Perhaps the person in question had also emailed the tip and included their number but forgot about that when a call came in shortly after tweeting. Or they had DM’d them before and a number was still sitting there in DM inbox.

If police could (and do) get numbers from Twitter in that type of situation we’d hear about it way more often. People would be kicking off.

ok, how? Other means how? As someone with a fairly high level of technical/IT knowledge I am trying here to prevent misinformation from spreading as truth, particularly where it scares the bejeezus out of other people, from spreading.

So how?

you're posting on a website for sleuthers - read what I added to my post
it's nothing technical or complicated

Not convinced SE did either - could be coincidental battery loss. Or perp obtaining it by force and knowing to turn it off (possibly more likely if PO). Outside option: SE was mugged for her phone (perp discarded sim to prevent blocking) and SE flagged PO to report it and PO attacked opportunistically. Phone perp never reported what they know for fear of being a suspect or charged with theft crime.

I believe it’s a private block with a mixture of public and private housing around it.

And SE just quietly stood there whilst someone fiddles to turn her phone off? It’s not easy to turn an iPhone off, especially if it’s locked!

No, could feasibly have been done after any ‘deed’. As long as the phone didn’t move from the location, or was used in anyway (both not likely during an attack if we presume one took place in the spot she was last known to be) then the phone would not have pinged another mast nor Clarence Ave mast again. Even if SE was abducted and her phone was dropped in the scuffle, it could have sat idle for up to 8 hrs without pinging again.

smashing the phone would probably get it to disconnect from the network pretty quickly especially if you damage the ariel in the phone

I guess it could be smashed in a struggle, but you’d a thought someone would have seen/heard... I kick off if one of my friends tries to take my phone away from me, let alone a random! And if the PO smashed the phone, I think SE would have guessed something not wasn’t right too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phnix