UK UK - Sarah Everard, 33, London - Clapham Common area, 3 March 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Strava you can set a privacy circle which records running within it but doesn’t put it on the map until you leave the circle. My runs all start and end in the same place but that place is about 500m from where I live due to my privacy circle.
If SE has this set up, she would live in that area but not at the exact pinpoint of the start of the run.
It’s not compulsory to set it up when registering for Strava (god knows why, as it seems like a paradise for the unscrupulous if you haven’t set it up) - if you are a Strava user please consider setting it up!

I’ve used Strava for a couple of years and had no idea about this feature. Thanks for sharing. I’m going to change mine now although it’s a bit late really!

I’ve used Strava for a couple of years and had no idea about this feature. Thanks for sharing. I’m going to change mine now although it’s a bit late really!
I also didn’t know about it. But my account is set to private and I’m pretty confident that the people who follow me are approved friends and known fellow runners or cyclists. So the risk seems mitigated in that way.

On Strava you can set a privacy circle which records running within it but doesn’t put it on the map until you leave the circle. My runs all start and end in the same place but that place is about 500m from where I live due to my privacy circle.
If SE has this set up, she would live in that area but not at the exact pinpoint of the start of the run.
It’s not compulsory to set it up when registering for Strava (god knows why, as it seems like a paradise for the unscrupulous if you haven’t set it up) - if you are a Strava user please consider setting it up!

I agree, I use Strava too and before I knew about the privacy circle I would often do a warm up run to a central location before I began recording the run. It's also a concern that a) the jacket she was wearing is distinct and she's highly likely to have worn that during some of her runs b) I haven't seen the strava maps but it sounds like she was a creature of habit, running the same route c) If people on this forum has accessed her strava account it must be public, so that leads me to question is there a connection to her disappearance and strava?

I'm also still very troubled by the fact they think Sarah walked across the common, I'm sorry but that would have been a longer journey, at that time of night and a cold winter's night too, I would have taken the quickest way home, and thats along the main road, which would have been fairly busy with traffic.

ps in regards to Strava I should add I have friends who are cyclists & they have stopped using the app due to the horror stories of bikes being stolen by thieves who have managed to track them via the app

I'm also still very troubled by the fact they think Sarah walked across the common, I'm sorry but that would have been a longer journey, at that time of night and a cold winter's night too, I would have taken the quickest way home, and thats along the main road, which would have been fairly busy with traffic.

Would likely have kept close to/on the A205 across Common, I would have thought? How would that be longer? Looks like the quickest route to me and what I would have taken.

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting so I hope I am taking the right approach.

Like many of us this case has shaken me deeply.I live very near Leathwaite Road in SW11, the point Sarah set off from, and often walk and cycle to Clapham South/Brixton/Brockwell. I have lived around this area ever since moving to London over a decade ago. My hope is that I can provide some very local context from the perspective of a woman of Sarah's age and height, with a similar job. Like her I am an active person, who took part in team sports locally before covid, and who has been trying to 'get her steps up' during this most recent lockdown by walking for several hours a day. And also I can hopefully clear up one or two misconceptions about the route that I have seen online (not so much here thankfully).

The first thing I wanted to confirm is that the route 'across the common' the seems to have people raising eyebrows on Twitter etc is actually a busy main road, the A205. At 9pm there is a fair bit of foot traffic (walker/joggers) and cyclists as well as cars. There is also a burger van open almost (or actually) all hours just off it near the ponds which tends to be busy, and often has off duty police eating there. I am one of life's worriers but I take this route in the dark several times a week and have no hesitation in doing so. People are imagining her walking across the grass in the dark and this is just not the case with that route, nothing like it.

I used to live at the top of Cavendish Road, and the section of the proposed route beyond that raises some questions for me. (again, this is just my personal view). Clarence Avenue itself and the streets around it I would avoid at night. It feels very 'empty' and dark – it is residential but the houses all have big gardens so are set well back from the road, and there is not much through traffic even during the day. My usual route during the day is to take Abbeville Road and then Crescent Lane, before skirting the Blenheim Estate and ending up near Water Lane that way. The houses are much closer to the road around there, which makes me feel more secure, and I think it would be my preference at night, although I haven't tried it recently in lockdown. My personal view is I would be surprised if SE took Clarence Avenue itself on foot, but of course it is not impossible.

If I can be useful giving my view as someone in quite a similar position on 'sense checking' aspects of the various proposed routes please do ask me.

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting so I hope I am taking the right approach.

If I can be useful giving my view as someone in quite a similar position on 'sense checking' aspects of the various proposed routes please do ask me.

I know when I lived there I would have avoided walking through clapham at night, my memories of the area are of groups of young men knocking around, being offered drugs, I was even handed a business card once with the promise that this guy could get me whatever I wanted. Therefore to get through in to Tulse Hill, I would have and have done previously gone off the beaten track, turned in to Cavendish Road, and then up along Weir Road in to Clarence avenue, but that seems logical to me due to where I use to live and the fact I had friends on Weir Road Estate and further up too.

Do you think that is a viable route, I'm leaning towards it because it takes you away from the main road which at least in my memory isn't overly safe, the longer walk maybe could have helped her clear her head after drinking wine and maybe she hadn't got out for a run that day so compensated with a long walk.

But this is simply my opinion being of a similar age and having a similar lifestyle

Does anyone have links to media reporting of a sexual attack on hydethorpe Road 14/01 @ 7.30pm. I can only find info on sources which we can't post on here?

The police seem to be concentrating on certain areas. I feel Sarah has met with foul play , I hope I'm wrong and she turns up safe .

One more point which may be helpful in terms of likelihood of SE having taken a particular route – my general perception as someone who has lived around the Clapham Park/Clarence Avenue area is that its bad reputation is somewhat justified. Several of my previous flatmates were mugged and someone who lived in the same building was assaulted by a stranger very early in the morning as she walked to work. This is not me suggesting that this makes it more likely something happened to SE in that area, I just mean its reputation would make me avoid walking around it in the dark in lockdown and seek another on foot route. SE's perception may or may not have been the same.

I know when I lived there I would have avoided walking through clapham at night, my memories of the area are of groups of young men knocking around, being offered drugs, I was even handed a business card once with the promise that this guy could get me whatever I wanted. Therefore to get through in to Tulse Hill, I would have and have done previously gone off the beaten track, turned in to Cavendish Road, and then up along Weir Road in to Clarence avenue, but that seems logical to me due to where I use to live and the fact I had friends on Weir Road Estate and further up too.

Do you think that is a viable route, I'm leaning towards it because it takes you away from the main road which at least in my memory isn't overly safe, the longer walk maybe could have helped her clear her head after drinking wine and maybe she hadn't got out for a run that day so compensated with a long walk.

But this is simply my opinion being of a similar age and having a similar lifestyle

Hi S, thank you for your reply. My instincts are exactly the opposite tbh. This route seems very far out of the way to me, quiet and extremely dark, which would make me cautious of it especially in lockdown. It also seems like a serious detour for SE if she did indeed live on Craster Road near Brockwell. But as you say, everyone's own personal map is shaped by where they have lived previously, have friends etc, and we do not have much of that information for SE.

First time posting - probably already conclusions that you have already come to so I apologise if so.

Going back to why the alarm may not have been raised sooner - if her phone battery had died whilst on the call to her boyfriend (which she had probably warned him was about to happen), this may be why 1.he didn’t feel overly alarmed at no ‘got home safe’ text. 2. Why the police are saying they don’t know if she made it home. I.e After speaking with the boyfriend, he may have told them her phone battery died - meaning police know there is a chance that she could have been a lot further along than Clapham Common (hence searching other locations nearby).
Her friends may have been concerned that she didn’t text to say she was home safe - maybe they contacted the boyfriend—and he shared that her battery had died. We all would mostly assume (or like to assume) this as being the most logical reason for her not texting and therefore not be overly alarmed - assuming she’s got home, plugged her phone in and fallen asleep by the time it turns on again for example.
Could it be that the last call with her boyfriend was an argument - another reason he may not have expected a goodnight text. Another reason why, had they intended to meet the next day, he didn’t raise alarm straight away when she didn’t turn up. Obviously none of this is helpful to her disappearance but may be why the alarm wasn’t raised until 8pm.

It is a worry about the incidents that have been raised recently - particularly the man acting suspiciously near there.

Does anyone have links to media reporting of a sexual attack on hydethorpe Road 14/01 @ 7.30pm. I can only find info on sources which we can't post on here?

The police seem to be concentrating on certain areas. I feel Sarah has met with foul play , I hope I'm wrong and she turns up safe .

I'm not sure that was picked up in the media, all I can find is what you have seen, I think it was also posted earlier on in this thread. The area around Hydethorpe Road is extremely residential, it leads you in to an area where there are back alleys, its entirely possible to enter the back alley on one side street and end up on the next street - To the other side of Hydethorpe you have Weir Road, there's a large housing estate, again it's a bit of maze if you do not know the estate.

I guess what I am trying to say is what ever happened to that young girl on Hydethorpe is likely to have been by someone who has a good knowledge of the area.

Hi, I’m also new to ws. I am also mid thirties, petite, live in London. Currently in Fulham but lived for many years in Clapham area.

As mentioned above, the main road through the common and the roads around are very well lit, busy with traffic and other walkers and I would say at 9pm safe.

I wanted to put a few other things into context if useful given topics mentioned here:

- I do live alone at my age and afford a one bed flat rental (and where I live is more central and so more pricier than I imagine the area Sarah lives). So it’s not impossible she lived alone - I’m by no means well off and have a moderately paid job.

-I don’t think it’s a long distance to walk. I often walk 2 hours to and from work or for leisure in London. It’s all flat, I can listen to podcasts, catch up with friends on the phone etc and get my daily exercise and steps where I can’t currently go to the gym.

- Most likely at that time she was using her headphones to talk on the phone I would think rather than listen to music. I often do that especially when dark as allows me to put my phone in pocket so it isn’t visible.

I wonder of boyfriend lives somewhere else not so local as the only thing I find odd is if I was on the phone to my boyfriend at that time he would come out and meet me and walk with me. But as someone else has said he would at least ask for a text when home.

The first thing I wanted to confirm is that the route 'across the common' the seems to have people raising eyebrows on Twitter etc is actually a busy main road, the A205. At 9pm there is a fair bit of foot traffic (walker/joggers) and cyclists as well as cars. There is also a burger van open almost (or actually) all hours just off it near the ponds which tends to be busy, and often has off duty police eating there. I am one of life's worriers but I take this route in the dark several times a week and have no hesitation in doing so. People are imagining her walking across the grass in the dark and this is just not the case with that route, nothing like it.

Thanks for this. My hunch has always been that she used the A205 and not through the ‘middle’ of the Common from a top down view (ie like past the bandstand) but your post made re-look more closely at the Common and I concur that the A205 I think she took from the rear of Leathwaite is technically through the Common - it looks to be adjacent from far away but there is a slither of Common, including outdoor fitness areas, to the right of the A205 (as you walk away from Leathwaite).

So I concede that the theories of SE walking “across” the Common could hold water in this regard. It still puzzles me though that the ping on Clarence Ave is both a little further on than the section of the A205 that’s in the Common and also I would imagine that SE would have been further on than that part of the Common by 30 mins into her journey (the time from leaving her friend’s to the last ping/time of the partner’s call starting/ending). Unless of course she stopped to sit and talk or something - another poster put forward this theory a while back, but I think it’s countered by the ping being Clarence Ave rather than closer to the Common and also the time of night and temp meaning SE would likely be walking and talking, maybe via the headphones (do those headphones have a mic?).

But, in summary, I can understand the initial details that threw me (using the Common, living in Brixton) are technically viable (as the stretch of A205 I favour is on the Common, and the Craster Road/Tulse Hill area is considered Brixton).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallon