GUILTY UK - Boy, 10, dies, & Girl, 8, with life-threatening injuries, Coupar Angus, Scotland, 11 Nov 2018

Legally Bland

Reaction score
A 10-year-old boy has died and an eight-year-old girl has life-threatening injuries following an incident at a house in Coupar Angus.

Police were called to the Union Street property following a call from a member of the public at about 02:30.

A man was found outside with significant injuries then the children were found inside. The girl was taken to hospital. The boy died at the scene.

Boy, 10, dies after incident at house

Ch Insp Ian Scott, of Police Scotland, said: “Our thoughts are very much with the family and friends of the young boy who has died in this incident and with the young girl who remains in a serious condition in hospital.

“I can confirm that a 37-year-old man has been arrested in connection with this incident. Inquiries are ongoing. However, I believe this to have been an isolated and contained incident with no threat to the wider public.

“There will be a police presence at the scene for some time while we undertake our investigation and I would like to thank the local community for their patience whilst we carry out our work.

Man arrested in Scotland after boy, 10, dies and girl injured

This is deeply saddening to hear.

I hope and pray that the young girl recovers from this. Tragic to learn that the little boy died.

My heart goes out to the loved ones of these children.

Thank you for starting the thread, Legally.

LE doesn't seem to have released anything other than the bare facts to media, and that seems to be a common thing lately. I guess if the arrested man is charged we might find out more then?

Terrible for the family and friends of the children. I hope the little girl will pull through.

Thank you for starting the thread, Legally.

LE doesn't seem to have released anything other than the bare facts to media, and that seems to be a common thing lately. I guess if the arrested man is charged we might find out more then?

Terrible for the family and friends of the children. I hope the little girl will pull through.

To add some clarity regarding the lack of detail. You may not find out much more now until the court case.
Once a person of interest is identified or arrested and subsequently charged (arraigned) with an offence which is to be put before the Crown Court , subjudice laws kick in . In the U.K. we have subjudice laws to prevent information being released prior to and during any trial at Crown Court.
This is due to the presumption of innocent until proven guilty. If the information and evidence is not in the public domain then there can be no adverse inferences against the accused and subsequently, like we have seen in many cases in the USA ( rightly or wrongly ie. Casey Antony, Steven Avery, The Ramsey’s) then the case is not jeopardised because the accused has already been convicted in the court of public opinion ie, through the Press reports and TV coverage .
It’s taken very seriously and if breached, you will go to prison.
Other than the reason mentioned above regarding innocence etc it is also because if there was information/ evidence or other pertinent details released in advance then the Defending barrister working on behalf of the accused, could potentially and correctly argue that the trial is now in jeopardy and the Judge would be more than likely to agree and the whole case would be ‘thrown out ‘ never to be resurrected. So then you have issues around a potential violent offender who could strike again, being free to roam the streets, plus the financial cost of the whole case to date which at this stage will be exorbitant and most importantly, the cost to the victim(s) of not being able to have their day in Court and to have some closure by the accused being tried in a Court of law ( even if not ultimately convicted).

Sometimes you will get quite a lot of detail about the case prior to an arrest but once the case is at the Charging point then you shouldn’t hear much more from here on in .

Just a point of note : although the U.K. works collectively, the laws and the way they are Policed and executed are carried out somewhat differently in Scotland to the rest of the UK
So I’m presuming here that subjudice laws are the same in Scotland, however, I may be wrong .

Police are now searching for two men that are believed to have passed the property around the time of the incident.

They are thought to have heard a disturbance at around 2.05am, with a call put in to police by a member of the public at 2.30am.

Detective Inspector Ross Fitzgerald from the Major Investigation Team, said: “We believe the two men may have heard a disturbance at around 2:05am on Union Street on Sunday and would urge them to speak to us.

Police appeal for witnesses in death of Coupar Angus boy Kane Morris - The Courier

A DAD has admitted to killing his sleeping son and attempting to murder another child to "save them from mortal danger".

The High Court in Glasgow heard that after stabbing the children Karl Morris, 38, knifed himself five times and jumped out a third floor window.

The stabbings took place in the early hours on November 11, last year, at a flat in Coupar Angus.

Tragic Kane was knifed six times – once in the chest and five times in the back.

Despite his fatal injuries, brave Kane stumbled into the other child's bedroom - an eight-year-old girl - to help her before collapsing.

[...]

In court today, he also admitted to the attempted murder of an eight-year-old girl.

Prosecutor Alex Prentice QC said: “In the course of a meeting with psychiatrists the accused stated that he acted to protect himself and his family from some impending, but otherwise unspecified, mortal danger.”

[...]

Efforts to get to the children were hampered because the killer dad had barricaded the front door.

When they got in they found the girl who had stab wounds to her abdomen and limbs.

Kane was lying collapsed outside the bedroom she had been sleeping in.

He was gravely injured and died at 3.24am. The girl suffered a collapsed lung and spent four weeks in hospital.

[...]

Judge Lord Mulholland told Morris: “You pleaded guilty to horrific actions.”

He added: “ It seems to me that Kane showed incredible bravery and self sacrifice rather than thinking of himself his concern was for the eight-year-old girl. For a 10-year-old boy to do that shows incredible bravery.”

Morris cried in the dock during the court hearing.

Coupar Angus dad admits killing son, 10, to 'save him from mortal danger'

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gingerdoodle
Back