Deceased/Not Found UK - Steven Clark, 23, disabled, Saltburn, Dec 1992

I believe that the person who wrote the letter was writing after being instructed by the person who had actual first-hand knowledge of what happened. In other words, for whatever reason, she/he did not want her/his handwriting to be recognized.

A person who attended school locally could be sure that a teacher or fellow pupil would be able to identify her/his handwriting. So while the information provided might be 100% accurate, the ‘witness’ didn’t want to be identified. And it took 7 years for the witness to make up her/his mind to tell someone what she/he knew.

And now that the writer has come forward, the witness’ identity will have been made known to the police.

It seems to me that the identity of the witness is fairly obvious.
JMO

So your thought is that the witness was local, or at least had lived in Marske for some considerable length of time - attending local schools.

Not sure how that makes their identity obvious ?

Who else could it possibly be? No ‘outsider’ could have a valid reason for not reporting knowledge of a murder for many years, nor for concealing his/her identity thereafter. Police are hoping for a confession, and will likely release more information as time goes on. Someone who knows all the principal players will start to leak information eventually.
IMO

Who else could it possibly be? No ‘outsider’ could have a valid reason for not reporting knowledge of a murder for many years, nor for concealing his/her identity thereafter. Police are hoping for a confession, and will likely release more information as time goes on. Someone who knows all the principal players will start to leak information eventually.
IMO

This is very interesting and I do think it makes a lot of sense. Possibly not enough for a conviction hence the wait in limbo for parents.

A new article on the case about a 1993 televised appeal made by Steven's parents. No footage of the actual 1993 appeal here but some quotes here...

Arrested parents of son made emotional appeal after he disappeared 28 years ago

The parents arrested last year on suspicion of murdering their son 28 years ago made an emotional TV appeal shortly after he vanished.

Steven Clark was last seen on December 28, 1992, in Saltburn-by-the-Sea, North Yorkshire.

Former police officers Charles and Doris Clark were quizzed last September after a cold case review of the 23-year-old’s disappearance.

They both categorically deny any wrongdoing and have since been released under investigation.

Thanks RobinCAL

Just to quote from the article;

In a statement, Cleveland Police said on Tuesday: "Two people arrested on suspicion of the murder of Steven Clark have now been released from the investigation without charge.

"There is no proof of life and we believe Steven has come to serious harm, and the case continues to be classified as one of suspected murder.”

Charles Clark is quoted as saying :-

He said that he 'never had a row' with Steven, and does not know why he went missing. "I don't know why he disappeared.

It is a very unusual situation. We are in the hands of the police," he added.

Asked if he thought it was unusual to film a TV documentary while under investigation, he added: "We did not seek legal advice. We are
looking for Steven.

"He is missing. They are putting a TV documentary together to find him, and I don't know any more than that."

Reacting to the statement, Mrs Clark said: 'It's wonderful. It was never going to be any other way really.

'It is fantastic news to get from the police.

'I think it has not really sunk in yet, I am sure tomorrow we will be feeling more completely ecstatic. It is a good thing to have happened.'

Mother arrested on suspicion of murdering son says it's 'wonderful' as she and husband are cleared | Daily Mail Online

They don't mention their son, say they hope his murderer will be caught or appeal for information leading to solving the mystery of Steven's disappearance. Just how wonderful it is and how ecstatic they are. Kind of odd. JMO

They don't mention their son, say they hope his murderer will be caught or appeal for information leading to solving the mystery of Steven's disappearance. Just how wonderful it is and how ecstatic they are. Kind of odd. JMO

First thing that I thought too. It's all about what a fantastic result it is for them. Poor Steven.

Steven Clark: Parents speak of 'mental torture' they endured after arrest over his disappearance

12329986.jpg

THE elderly couple who were accused of murdering their own son have spoken of the 'mental torture' they endured during the four-month long investigation.

The couple, speaking in their Marske home, told how the investigation had impacted on their lives for the past 17-weeks.

Mrs Clark said: "We received a call a few days ago to say the police were coming to see us but we had no idea what for – it was like mental torture – they left us in limbo again.

"When they told us we were no longer under investigation we were elated – it was such a relief really."

The couple's life was turned upside down on December 28, 1992, when their beloved son went missing.

And it was turned upside down again when they were taken to a police station to be interviewed as suspects.

Officers from Cleveland Police carried out a full search of their property and the surrounding area.

Mrs Clark said: "They went through every room in the house, the dug up the garden and they moved the shed – it was terrible."

The couple hope that police will continue to search for Stephen so they can give him 'one last cuddle'.

And Mr Clark urged anyone with information to come forward and pass on any information that could end their heartbreaking wait to learn what happened to Stephen.

BBM

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back