Deceased/Not Found UK - Steven Clark, 23, disabled, Saltburn, Dec 1992

It is in fact quite a common plea, for example, where H has hit or strangled W in a domestic quarrel and then panicked and hidden the body. There have been many such cases.
Strangling someone is never accidental. Putting your hands around someone’s neck and squeezing until they stop breathing takes minutes, not seconds, and the attacker has multiple opportunities to stop. That’s murder.

Strangling someone is never accidental. Putting your hands around someone’s neck and squeezing until they stop breathing takes minutes, not seconds, and the attacker has multiple opportunities to stop. That’s murder.

Bolded by me for focus - Now that's what I'd always thought, until the Libby Squire case, when it was repeatedly and loudly drummed into us through many threads that asphyxiation takes only seconds, and there couldn't possibly be any issue with the very tight timeframe that was available for the murder to be committed in... so apparently we're wrong!

I should sometime look up some actual scientific facts on the subject, given the widely differing views I see on here (which invariably support the poster's view on the case) but don't greatly fancy having such a search in my history :p

Bolded by me for focus - Now that's what I'd always thought, until the Libby Squire case, when it was repeatedly and loudly drummed into us through many threads that asphyxiation takes only seconds, and there couldn't possibly be any issue with the very tight timeframe that was available for the murder to be committed in... so apparently we're wrong!

I should sometime look up some actual scientific facts on the subject, given the widely differing views I see on here (which invariably support the poster's view on the case) but don't greatly fancy having such a search in my history :p
There were many, many factors in Libby’s case that would have made it quicker and easier for PR to asphyxiate her, none of which apply to misogynistic apologists for husbands “accidentally murdering” their wives.

Anyway, this is going off topic from the original point I was making to do with Steven’s case.

There were many, many factors in Libby’s case that would have made it quicker and easier for PR to asphyxiate her, none of which apply to misogynistic apologists for husbands “accidentally murdering” their wives.

Anyway, this is going off topic from the original point I was making to do with Steven’s case.

I wasn't disagreeing with your main point; in fact I completely agree. This isn't the place to continue my thoughts, so I'll just say sorry for continuing the off-topicness with another post; I just wanted to clarify I wasn't actually trying to disagree with you on the "accidental" killings, which I utterly hate, especially the so-called "rough sex" ones. Should've said as much in my previous post, but I'm good at getting hung up on details and not making clear what I actually intended.

Back on-topic; was there a suggestion that Steven was strangled then, given how the thread ended up going towards that way? I missed it if so, but given his size, I find it a bit unlikely, only a strong man could do that, and even then, it would be hard with a young man fighting for his life, given that we're now assuming it takes minutes (if in fact it takes seconds, then it's a lot more possible). There would be easier methods, and even a heat of the moment thing in anger I'd expect a punch to be more likely.

In re the ‘girlfriend’, who was mentioned in several articles: I won’t go back and look for it, but apparently they had known each other only a couple of weeks.
Is anyone familiar with Huyton’s Quarry? Is there actually a quarry there, or is it merely the name of the town?

I wasn't disagreeing with your main point; in fact I completely agree. This isn't the place to continue my thoughts, so I'll just say sorry for continuing the off-topicness with another post; I just wanted to clarify I wasn't actually trying to disagree with you on the "accidental" killings, which I utterly hate, especially the so-called "rough sex" ones. Should've said as much in my previous post, but I'm good at getting hung up on details and not making clear what I actually intended.

Back on-topic; was there a suggestion that Steven was strangled then, given how the thread ended up going towards that way? I missed it if so, but given his size, I find it a bit unlikely, only a strong man could do that, and even then, it would be hard with a young man fighting for his life, given that we're now assuming it takes minutes (if in fact it takes seconds, then it's a lot more possible). There would be easier methods, and even a heat of the moment thing in anger I'd expect a punch to be more likely.
I read that Steven had permanent damage to his left arm, so even though he was tall in stature and young I imagine he would find it hard to fight back with only one strong arm if someone had a hold of his neck or throwing punches.

No I don’t think so. Someone mentioned back along in the thread that maybe something happened to Steven at home and he died accidentally. I asked if anyone could think of any cases where this had actually ever been proved to have happened that’s all. <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
If they did kill him, which I think's unlikely, where's the body? He was a big lad. They were both ex-cops so would have some knowledge of police procedure. They weren't daft enough to hide it in the garden or the house. Maybe miles away but that would mean them carrying him. <modsnip: Negative speculation on someone not named a POI> Are there any lakes near there and have the police ever sent divers in?

I still think he was led away from the toilets whilst his mum was still inside. Then who knows.

I thought the fathers comments about being worried he might have gone walkabout & fallen in a cliff crevice was telling. We have to remember in 1992 the parents would have been 50, not 80 & they both look very fit & healthy for their age now-certainly not the image we tend to think of 80 year olds being.

Just don't see him being led away by some killer who just happened to be in the toilet at the same time he ventured in, especially nobody noticing. People tend to abduct children & women for sexual purposes, what on earth would anybody want with a 6 foot, pretty well built guy in his 20's? A killer would be highly likely to kill the individual right there in a frenzy, not abduct an adult male who walks slowly & sticks out like a sore thumb from a public place where he would be seen & then have to try to drive a vehicle & control him at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I see the parents were originally arrested on suspicion of murder on 9/15/20 - and released 2/17/21 without being charged...

Police still investigating Steven's case?

The website of Cleveland Police still has a section dedicated to the disappearance of Steven Clark.

es/cleveland-police/areas/cleveland-police/campaigns/campaigns/2021/disappearance-of-steven-clark/Q-and-As/

The investigation into Steven’s disappearance is continuing, people can send information directly to the investigation team through this website page Public Portal (mipp.police.uk)

We would ask you to use this link rather than calling 101 as it means the control room is able to deal with calls on urgent, immediate incidents.

If you have seen Steven, particularly between Friday 25th December to Monday 28th December 1992, or you have information to help the investigation team. Please use the public portal to provide what you know to detectives working on the case.

Crimestoppers have issued a £10,000 reward on the case for key information on the murder of Steven Clark.

BBM

Was Stephen mentally disabled? All the reports I read said he was physically disabled. His mother said he wasn't the same after the accident, but that could mean many things, as being physically disabled can affect a person's mental wellbeing.
Physically disabled only but reading between the lines it seems there may have been some mental health impacts of that, as you say. Eg with not being able to get a job, that made things more difficult for him. And he was still capable of getting around, it was mostly his arm that was affected. He had normal intelligence for a man of his age. I think he was more capable than some media articles make him sound (probably because 'PARENTS ARRESTED FOR MURDER OF DISABLED SON' is a very attention grabbing headline and playing up his disability works in their favour for more clicks). I think these days he'd have far fewer issues, employers are far more likely to take on employees with disabilities now especially relatively minor ones easily compensated for with technology etc.

Victoria said: "In the early days, there was always one of us in the house whilst other family members were searching. I had never seen my dad cry until this moment. It was an emotional time and so difficult to feel so helpless. We felt desperation. Even years later, I am constantly looking in crowds.

"I was driving a couple of months ago when I saw a man walking with a limp. I took a double take – and burst into tears, the grief can come out of nowhere, even when you’re least expecting it

-------------------

I was wondering a while ago how the family were doing, and what came of the other searches of the Police. I hope he will be found one day soon.

I'm a newbie to this case. With respect to all on this forum,the Police, family & others everywhere, as far as I can see, only his mother said he went into the toilets. Police have released limited info, but do they have evidence to prove he actually did enter the toilets?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle
Back