Deceased/Not Found UK - Steven Clark, 23, disabled, Saltburn, Dec 1992

Parents of man who went missing 28 years ago hit out over arrest for his murder

Police treated it as missing person’s case but earlier this year a cold case unit decided it was murder – and detectives turned their focus on his elderly parents Charles, 78, and Doris, 81.

They were quizzed on suspicion of his murder as police dug up their garden.

The couple - both former police officers - protested their innocence and following their release on bail they hit out at the ongoing probe.

Speaking to The Sun at the family home in Marske, North Yorkshire, Charles branded the investigation as “scandalous” and a “fishing expedition”.

Doris also criticised the inquiry by Cleveland and North Yorkshire Police cold case unit saying it was “farcical” and adding: "We did not do anything to Steven.”

BBM

"a cold case unit decided it was murder"..... someone please inform the public how they reached that conclusion.
IMHO they appear not to know too much about Steven and his life given the appeals for information from those who knew him.

Sofar, the only results they have achieved are a search of his parents' house and garden that apparently yielded nothing incriminating and confirming the hunch that his mother had at the time, namely that Steven upped and left the restroom without waiting for her.

It ain't over till the fat lady sings of course, and tomorrow may bring different news, but sofar Cleveland & Yorkshire Police vs Mrs Doris Clark stands at 0 - 2 for Doris.

This is something I really want to know, 'how' the police came to the conclusion of murder. This cannot of been an easy step to take without evidence, so what is the evidence? And what was in that letter?

Parents of man who went missing 28 years ago hit out over arrest for his murder

Police treated it as missing person’s case but earlier this year a cold case unit decided it was murder – and detectives turned their focus on his elderly parents Charles, 78, and Doris, 81.

They were quizzed on suspicion of his murder as police dug up their garden.

The couple - both former police officers - protested their innocence and following their release on bail they hit out at the ongoing probe.

Speaking to The Sun at the family home in Marske, North Yorkshire, Charles branded the investigation as “scandalous” and a “fishing expedition”.

Doris also criticised the inquiry by Cleveland and North Yorkshire Police cold case unit saying it was “farcical” and adding: "We did not do anything to Steven.”

BBM

"a cold case unit decided it was murder"..... someone please inform the public how they reached that conclusion.
IMHO they appear not to know too much about Steven and his life given the appeals for information from those who knew him.

Sofar, the only results they have achieved are a search of his parents' house and garden that apparently yielded nothing incriminating and confirming the hunch that his mother had at the time, namely that Steven upped and left the restroom without waiting for her.

It ain't over till the fat lady sings of course, and tomorrow may bring different news, but sofar Cleveland & Yorkshire Police vs Mrs Doris Clark stands at 0 - 2 for Doris.

Last edited:
I would hardly think so - as it has resulted in their arrests and then being held in custody for six hours.
You would think they would of made some sort of a statement in support of his disappearance being brought back into the public eye, unless they have been advised not to?
What was the reason the case was reopened? Does anyone know?

You would think they would of made some sort of a statement in support of his disappearance being brought back into the public eye, unless they have been advised not to?
What was the reason the case was reopened? Does anyone know?

I do not think they would come out in support since they have been arrested.

Not sure if it was a routine cold case investigation or they received a tip off which started a case review.
There has been no information about why it is now being investigated .

I do not think they would come out in support since they have been arrested.

Not sure if it was a routine cold case investigation or they received a tip off which started a case review.
There has been no information about why it is now being investigated .

It's all very suspect? If it was my child I would never of stopped looking, I would of spoken to everyone who knew him and breathed a sigh of relief when the case was reopened and given new attention

It's all very suspect? If it was my child I would never of stopped looking, I would of spoken to everyone who knew him and breathed a sigh of relief when the case was reopened and given new attention

Unless the police came after you, I suppose.

Steven's parents did a lot of searching at the time and later.

From the link that @Al Ka posted on page 1:

Clark, Steven December 1992
Eventually, the police became involved and Doris and her husband Charles, from Marske-by-the-Sea, began searching the country for their son. "At the beginning, we used to go round visiting different towns. We would go to London and travel round the Kings Cross area. If there was a sighting, we would go and have a look but eventually you realise you are looking for a needle in a haystack," says Doris.

While this may sound defeatist - and although she's had no contact from Steven in almost 12 years - she's adamant that she hasn't given up on him. "We would never give up. We don't know whether he's dead or alive but we can't ever give up hoping that we will have contact one day," she says.

'We can't ever give up hope'

Unless the police came after you, I suppose.

Steven's parents did a lot of searching at the time and later.

From the link that @Al Ka posted on page 1:

Clark, Steven December 1992

'We can't ever give up hope'

I have to notice, though, that this information about all of their “searching” seems really to only come from them. There are no confirming comments or evidence of such, such as newspaper articles about them organizing large searches themselves (even later on, in case the police wished them not to do so in the early days) hiring a private detective; posters they put up, etc., etc. I’m reminded of O.J. Simpson, who also did so much “searching” for his wife’s killer. On every golf course in America.

I also find their comment a bit odd in that, despite what they say (“We can’t ever give up hope”) it sort of appears they did just that. There are just so many families where at least one family member NEVER stops searching. They search for the rest of their lives.

I would hardly think so - as it has resulted in their arrests and then being held in custody for six hours.

Well, though, many people in the same situation have expressed that although the police are currently looking in the wrong direction, they look forward to clearing their names, etc., they also appreciate renewed interest and investigation in the case. From what I’ve read so far, which is admittedly little, their response and comments have been unsettling.

One of the odd things about this disappearance to me is the father’s comment about how “unfair” it is for adults to voluntarily disappear. Granted, we don’t have the exact context for the quote, but read alone it sure seems like he’s attempting to steer public opinion toward this conclusion.

“Voluntarily missing” is highly, highly unlikely. After so many years and no trace of him, I’d think that possibility extremely low. I think the odds are that Steven Clark is no longer with us, due either to an accident or homocide.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitWiz
Back