Deceased/Not Found UK - Steven Clark, 23, disabled, Saltburn, Dec 1992

If they did kill him, which I think's unlikely, where's the body? He was a big lad. They were both ex-cops so would have some knowledge of police procedure. They weren't daft enough to hide it in the garden or the house. Maybe miles away but that would mean them carrying him. <modsnip: Negative speculation on someone not named a POI> Are there any lakes near there and have the police ever sent divers in?

I still think he was led away from the toilets whilst his mum was still inside. Then who knows.
I think he was murdered but not by his parents. Think he left the loos and was taken after that. Maybe easy to befriend

It must be awful for them if they had nothing to do with it because unless there's resolution and someone else charged, there will always be people to accuse them or snigger behind their backs. Locals to point their finger in the shops etc. Think I'd move house at least.

Just reviewing this case again and trying to get a handle on Steven and the fact he didn't work or attend school. Steven became disabled after being involved in an accident with a truck when he was two years old. His injuries affected his leg resulting in a limp and a deformed arm. He also was in a coma for several months while healing. Whether this coma was from injuries sustained in the accident or whether it was a medically induced coma is not known. The fact he was in a coma suggests there may have been some brain damage although he seemed to excel at the school he attended in South Africa that catered to students who had disabilities.

If Steven had no mental disabilities; if he'd never been diagnosed with autism or any other mental disorder why did he have such a difficult time getting a job? I've worked with people who were deaf, were in a wheelchair and a women who had a deformed hand where three of her fingers were fused together and was missing her index finger and I was in awe how fast and accurately she could type. So having a pronounced limp and a deformed arm shouldn't really be a barrier to work in an environment that doesn't require walking or physical and strenuous work. It's puzzling to me, especially when he won an award as Apprentice of the Year.

Was Steven reluctant to work in an environment where he might have felt he stood out; where he worried he'd be treated badly or made fun of? Did his parents enable his reluctance to work by making no demands on him? Did he receive any kind of disability pension from the government? Did his parents receive an allowance for being the caregivers of a disabled adult?

Apparently, SC was a bit of a skinflint, not wanting to part with his own money when it came to buying tickets to football games. Where did he get his money and what did he do with it if he didn't spend it? Did he buy his own clothing, shoes and entertainment items?

It says on his his missing person police blotter that he came back to the UK from South Africa in the early 90s initially living in Surrey before moving to Marske in 1991. When he moved to Marske were his parents already living there or did he move with them from Surrey?

If he got a disability pension and his parents received one as his caregivers was that money used to pay for day to day living expenses not only for Steven but for mortgage payments and utilities? I read that England was deep into a recession in 1991 and 1992 with high interest rates, falling house prices and runaway inflation. Could that have been an issue for a family who had just moved to a new house in 1991?

Did Steven want to leave home because he had a girlfriend and his parents weren't on board with that. Could that have led to a blowout argument where Steven stormed off walking toward the Saltburn pier by himself? Maybe his mom followed much later to check on him rather than actually going for a walk with him. If that was the case, he could have met up with anyone, a friend, an acquaintance or a complete stranger. If he was a trusting soul he may have gone with someone who didn't have his best interests at heart. He could be anywhere. The Yorkshire Moors are very close by.

That’s an interesting train of though actually. I wonder if a different walk happened to the one we have heard about...

JMO MOO
..And he was thrown in to a deep rock crevice, as the father said, except he didn't fall in. Have they all been search by police teams. Must be loads there.

I'm a newbie to this case. With respect to all on this forum,the Police, family & others everywhere, as far as I can see, only his mother said he went into the toilets. Police have released limited info, but do they have evidence to prove he actually did enter the toilets?
No. No CCTV and no-one saw him. Only her word.

In my opinion, I don't think his parents had anything to do with his disappearance. Whatever transpired the day he disappeared could have been rooted in his desire to have more autonomy and independence and there was an argument and he stormed out.

We'll never know and over the years they've been charged and questioned and nothing has been found to suggest foul play. And I think a lot of that suspicion is from the general public suggesting foul play was to blame for his disappearance without any evidence. To the contrary, digging up their back yard using jackhammers, searching their home, beating the bushes by the path to the sea, talking to neighbours and friends resulted in nothing. I guess you could think both his parents being LE officers they would know a thing or two about erasing evidence of a crime but there's nothing to suggest they did anything like that.

When I read accounts of his family life by his sister it sounds pretty normal. She said he loved IT and computers, he played an instrument, had a great sense of humour and they never celebrated Christmas for years after his disappearance. I'm not saying foul play can't happen in a loving family environment but there's no there, there. No evidence.

My only question regarding Steven if he was able to play musical instruments, work with computers and had a great sense of humour is why was he on a disability pension? He didn't sound disabled to me. Unless what they are calling a disability pension is really a structured settlement he was receiving from the public transit company for culpability from being hit by a bus. That could be a lifetime payout.

Based on the podcast his sister took part in last summer:

• She spent Christmas 1992 with the family (I assume she just never wanted to be in the public eye hence no mention of this before). She lived 6 hours away in Guildford.

• Stephen jokingly asked what way would you kill yourself to her not long before his disappearance

• They have just over a year in age difference and were very close

• At 13, when he was living in SA, he went to a special school. Struggled due to academic issues and not knowing Afrikaans. They are both SA citizens.

• Stephen succeeded in exams but couldn’t find work in SA due to lack of acceptance in his disability. They moved to the UK to help him start his working life.

• He had walked the beach walk hundreds of times between his mother and sister being by his side.

I don’t think the parents had anything to do with it despite their lack of upset.

Last edited:
• At 13, when he was living in SA, he went to a special school. Struggled due to academic issues and not knowing Afrikaans. They are both SA citizens.
Steven and his sister are South African citizens? We're they born there then?

Also, are the parents South African, or did they emigrate there from the UK?

When they returned to the UK they had jobs with the police, I wonder if they were in the South African police too?

Just to note, his parents certainly moved around a lot.
Steven was born in Essex, then moved to a Scotland, then to Cambridgeshire, then to South Africa, then they moved back to the UK and lived in Surrey, then moved to Marske.

That's a lot of moving between north and south, then emigration, then back to the south, then up to north again. It's quite mad. They obviously didn't stay in their jobs very long, nor settle down much.

Just an observation. Nothing more.

But leads me to think Steven probably had very few childhood friends.

Steven and his sister are South African citizens? We're they born there then?

Also, are the parents South African, or did they emigrate there from the UK?

When they returned to the UK they had jobs with the police, I wonder if they were in the South African police too?
They became naturally from many years living there from early childhood to early adulthood. The father got a job there and the family moved there.

Based on the podcast his sister took part in last summer:

• She spent Christmas 1992 with the family (I assume she just never wanted to be in the public eye hence no mention of this before). She lived 6 hours away in Guildford.

• Stephen jokingly asked what way would you kill yourself to her not long before his disappearance

• They have just over a year in age difference and were very close

• Stephen succeeded in exams but couldn’t find work in SA due to lack of acceptance in his disability. They moved to the UK to help him start his working life.

• He had walked the beach walk hundreds of times between his mother and sister being by his side.

I don’t think the parents had anything to do with it despite their lack of upset.
Any thoughts as to what happened to him?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back