UK UK - Suzy Lamplugh, 25, Fulham, 28 July 1986

Status
Not open for further replies.
As ND1 came forward to the police after Crimewatch (Oct 86), I take it that he is not the same unnamed man (in the CW reconstruction), who at 12.50 when walking home, 'saw SL at the gateway seemingly waiting for someone'?

Has anyone any info on this male witness?

This is confusing.

@WestLondoner said in his post that ND1 saw Suzy at 12.50, but in the Crimewatch reconstruction it doesn't actually name this witness. It also doesn't namecheck HR, they just refer to him as 'the man next door'.

However they do mention that the 3rd witness was Doyle, and he saw the couple around the same time as HR (1.00).

So was Devere the first witness or not?

Another thing I found odd was the reconstruction in the Sturgis office. In the scene where you see Suzy getting up to leave the office, at the very back you can clearly see MG sitting at a desk. As we know, MG wasn't in the office when Suzy left so why has he decided to place himself here during this reconstruction?

It may seem inconsequential in the grand scheme of things, but anyone watching the show at the time could have spotted him in this shot and presumed he was in the office at the time Suzy left when, as we know of course, he wasn't.

This is confusing.

So was Devere the first witness or not?

My reading is the 12.50 sighting at the gate from the (1) unnamed man.

SL and Kipper watched from his house by (2) HR.

On his way to work (3) Doyle saw SL and Kipper.

And finally after CW / no earlier than October (4) Devere comes forward with his Shorrolds Rd statement.

I've also read reports of witnesses spotting BMWs, a van with 2 males 'looking straight ahead', plus a report from a van driver of having to swerve to avoid white car driving erratically in the locality?

My reading is the 12.50 sighting at the gate from the (1) unnamed man.

SL and Kipper watched from his house by (2) HR.

On his way to work (3) Doyle saw SL and Kipper.

And finally after CW / no earlier than October (4) Devere comes forward with his Shorrolds Rd statement.

I've also read reports of witnesses spotting BMWs, a van with 2 males 'looking straight ahead', plus a report from a van driver of having to swerve to avoid white car driving erratically in the locality?

Not to mention the bearded man who got in a taxi and told the driver he saw a couple arguing in Stevenage Road.

Or the jogger who saw a couple having a row in a car near to the River Thames.

SL lived at 49 Disraeli Rd, which is a one way street. I guess she drove along Montserrat Rd and along Oxford Rd before she reached the pub.

There is just soooo much wrong with that CW reconstruction. Quotes in italics:

It's now nearly 12 weeks since SL left her office to meet a client and never returned - to meet a client? says who?

She took with her property details and keys - so how did the police get in next day?

This reconstruction is based on what is known - like her car being in two places at once

There's no doubt she went to Shorrolds Road - there bl00dy is

3 witnesses saw SJL outside #37...the 1st witness [who? unnamed] saw SJL standing in a gateway...the owner of the house next door heard someone leaving #37 [HR, who apparently had his back to the window and got a 3-second glimpse]...and Nicholas Doyle, from whose description police produced this [quite different] identikit. The man and woman are shown standing looking up at the house, just as SF and MG probably did to see if there's any sign of anyone being home.

At 12.45 WJ noticed a white Ford Fiesta or, based on how she did with DV's car, it could easily have been a red Transit van.

Just before 2 a taxi driver also noticed the car which may not have been SJL's car. The BT workers who were there all day and saw no car are not mentioned.

conflicting evidence - a sighting of SJL and her car - this is the BW sighting. This and the BT workers' accounts are completely incompatible with WJ's, but the emphasis given implies the early Stevenage sighting is accurate.

MG says he became concerned by 3.30 and went round there "to start off with" - so perhaps as early as 2.5 hours after when HR remembered. The wrong car is shown - he had an XR3i and CW shows an XR2 - and he is shown going to #37 with another male, whereas later accounts said he went there with SF. One notices he is facially the absolute dead spit of the ND2 identikit, and his hair is exactly as HR described.

One of the strangest things is she parked her car in Stevenage Road - well, except we were just told the seat had been moved, so who knows who parked it? This all works to embed a possibly spurious narrative into the public perception, though.

Carter: BW is the only witness who knew her so her sighting has to be taken seriously Only it wasn't.

You (plod) were much happier with the description ND2 gave - This is the one that looks least like JC

He has a dark complexion and probably a broken nose - What?!

A man in the area told a cab driver he'd seen a couple arguing violently - who, where and when? This could be important.

You do have to be careful with these TV programmes. The ITV2 one says she disappeared on "a beautiful summer's day in 1986". According to DV, it was so overcast the cricket was stopped because of bad light. Someone just made that detail up. It goes on to describe 37 Shorrolds as "the sinister looking house SJL was trying to sell" - eh? The one that ND1 remembers particularly because he liked it?

These embellishments undermine the reliability of the source because something important may be an embellishment too.

I'd never heard of the Stevenage Road witness Marianna Jagoda. She describes a man with a sun tan, which is perhaps where this idea came from.

Last edited:
The Crimewatch show just highlights how inadequate the original investigation was into Suzy's disappearance. Virtually from day one it was all focused on Mr Kipper/Shorrolds Road and that was it, they just believed this mystery man turned up, viewed 37 Shorrolds Road with Suzy and then abducted her.

They believed WJ's sighting of Suzy's car in Stevenage Road at 12.45, and they managed to find 4 witnesses with sightings of Suzy and the mystery man in Shorrolds Road at around 1.00 that day.

They said BW's sighting had to be taken seriously as she was the only person who knew Suzy to see her that afternoon, then they decided she had seen her but on a different day so it was dismissed as it did not fit their narrative. I have read somewhere that she was cycling to a meeting or an interview that afternoon, so you would have thought she had got the correct day. I also wonder why DV did not interview her for his book? She was a vital witness for that day so why would he choose not to speak to her?

There doesn't appear to be any investigation into anyone Suzy knew that could possibly have something to do with her disappearance, the only person we know they interviewed was AL on the Monday night.

I do like the Crimewatch episode as it's about the only one about Suzy that doesn't include JC in it. Every subsequent documentary about her involves about 10 minutes of going through the day she disappeared and then the rest of the show is taken up with JC as the police's number one suspect. It does my head in as the show becomes all about him and nothing to do with Suzy, it's just so annoying!

@WiseOwl

Completely agree with all that. BW's sighting wasn't explained, it was explained away - not the same.

The ITV2 documentary claims JC had access to BMWs (plural) in 1986 and features a detective saying he believes JC had access to BMWs. Well, why does he believe that? Does he believe it because 14 years later people were saying they saw JC in the area with a BMW a year before he had one, therefore he must have had one, or does he have any evidence?

DV seems to me to be exactly right about this much: the investigation was hopelessly flawed and stood no chance of success. It's instructive that the CPS declined to proceed against JC. The CPS is staffed by lawyers, lawyers are smarter than coppers and they presumably saw there was no case at all.

The Suzy Lamplugh Puzzle Part Two

@WiseOwl I think you'll find the above account well worth reading!

Thanks @Crusader21.

I have read this article before from Lolly True crime, and what's good about it is that it takes a lot of it's information from Andrew Stephen's book. There are some interesting differences from what was reported then to what we (believe) to know now. First of all, the Friday night before Suzy disappeared:

Suzy’s chequebook, personal diary a postcard and possibly other items ‘go missing’ from her bag. They are later found on the front step of the Prince of Wales pub, Putney, by the acting landlord at closing time.

On Friday evening she met up with boyfriend Adam and they went together to Mossop’s Restaurant (next to the pub) and later on to Suzy’s local pub: The Prince of Wales, Putney. Adam said they had a pleasant evening together, but at some point, it is apparent a few things went missing from her bag. As it turned out, the acting Landlord of the pub later found Suzy’s’ pocket diary, chequebook, postcard (and possibly one or two other items but NOT her purse) on this front step when locking up at pub closing time.

In DV's book, AL states that they never went to the pub, and that the loss of these items 'never happened'. Why has he changed this story?

Then on the morning Suzy disappeared:

Makes and receives calls, cancels her chequebook, speaks to the pub landlord to arrange to collect her things. 6pm diary clash. Makes Appointment for 6pm to collect her things from the pub, yet already has a 6pm appointment in her diary.

It is reported that on this Monday morning Suzy was “preoccupied” with her missing cheque book, missing diary and chequebook cancelling her cheques with the bank. Why ‘preoccupied’ now when she’d been so seemingly carefree about her missing things before? if she mentioned their loss to her mother on Sunday then the enquiry didn’t note it.

Exactly who was it that said Suzy was preoccupied with her missing things that morning? None of the Sturgis staff DV interviewed in his book said anything about this, and only SF could remember anything about the missing items and even then she couldn't confirm if it was that day or not.

As for collecting her things at 6.00 from the pub this info presumably must have come from CV? In DV's book CV says he had a call, believed to be from Suzy, around lunchtime saying that she would come and collect her things before the pub opened.

12.40pm. The last call ever knowingly made by Suzy was to the pub. It is noted that she was half sitting and half standing as if in a rush to leave the office. Was this another call to the pub? Not the first? Had the plan changed in any small way? This is unclear.

Again, where did this information come from? It must surely have been one of the Sturgis staff who provided this at the time, and as MG was out of the office then it must have been NH or SF who provided this info. Nothing of Suzy making this call or being in a rush to leave the office was mentioned in DV's interview with the Sturgis staff.

However, if Suzy did indeed make the phone call to pub around this time it would support CV's claim that she phoned him around lunchtime to say she was coming to collect her things.

With this in mind I am a little surprised DV did not bring this up when speaking to Suzy's work colleagues. After all, if one of them had remembered this call to the pub then it would greatly support his theory of what happened to Suzy that day, that she was anxious to retrieve her things and that the pub was indeed her destination after leaving the office.

Andrew Stephen's main source of information came from the two main detectives on the case, plus other police officers who unofficially co-operated with him. What we don't know of course, is who exactly provided the police with the information in the first place - we can only guess.

There is a side door visible from the road (PoW) did it lead directly to the cellar? Maybe the last call was to arrange a meeting at the side of the pub instead of the main entrance

There is a side door visible from the road (PoW) did it lead directly to the cellar? Maybe the last call was to arrange a meeting at the side of the pub instead of the main entrance

Good thinking ....

With her being a local, SL would have known to park in quieter and quicker Oxford Rd, rather than busier and slower Upper Richmond Rd to visit pub. That side door is indeed in Oxford Rd.

Did CV tell SL over the phone, that her items were on the 'electric box' in the cellar?
If so she may have entered the pub through that door heading down in to the cellar.

Remember too (oddly), her mum DL said SL suffered from claustrophobia, panicing etc in confinded spaces. Was that a factor too in a cellar, with no natural light, etc?

Good thinking ....

With her being a local, SL would have known to park in quieter and quicker Oxford Rd, rather than busier and slower Upper Richmond Rd to visit pub. That side door is indeed in Oxford Rd.

Did CV tell SL over the phone, that her items were on the 'electric box' in the cellar?
If so she may have entered the pub through that door heading down in to the cellar.

Remember too (oddly), her mum DL said SL suffered from claustrophobia, panicing etc in confinded spaces. Was that a factor too in a cellar, with no natural light, etc?

If Suzy did suffer some kind of anxiety attack and died as a result in the cellar, then why didn't CV just phone the police to tell them what had happened? Why would he want to cover this up?

The same if he somehow lured Suzy to the pub and killed her, why would he do this? What would his motive be?

Other people involved in Suzy's life I could make out possible motives - love, anger, revenge, financial. But as far as CV is concerned I cannot see what his motive would be.

Someone mentioned that Deodar Rd (off Putney Bridge Rd) was a quiet area to abduct a lone female driver on her way to the pub. SLs body may be buried there

The Crimewatch show just highlights how inadequate the original investigation was into Suzy's disappearance. Virtually from day one it was all focused on Mr Kipper/Shorrolds Road and that was it, they just believed this mystery man turned up, viewed 37 Shorrolds Road with Suzy and then abducted her.

They believed WJ's sighting of Suzy's car in Stevenage Road at 12.45, and they managed to find 4 witnesses with sightings of Suzy and the mystery man in Shorrolds Road at around 1.00 that day.

They said BW's sighting had to be taken seriously as she was the only person who knew Suzy to see her that afternoon, then they decided she had seen her but on a different day so it was dismissed as it did not fit their narrative. I have read somewhere that she was cycling to a meeting or an interview that afternoon, so you would have thought she had got the correct day. I also wonder why DV did not interview her for his book? She was a vital witness for that day so why would he choose not to speak to her?

There doesn't appear to be any investigation into anyone Suzy knew that could possibly have something to do with her disappearance, the only person we know they interviewed was AL on the Monday night.

I do like the Crimewatch episode as it's about the only one about Suzy that doesn't include JC in it. Every subsequent documentary about her involves about 10 minutes of going through the day she disappeared and then the rest of the show is taken up with JC as the police's number one suspect. It does my head in as the show becomes all about him and nothing to do with Suzy, it's just so annoying!
Sorry to be cynical but DV didn’t include BW because he believed SJL went straight to the PoW, so she must have been wrong.

Good thinking ....

Maybe this is why DV said it could have been an accident? I’d have thought SJL would have been suspicious / reluctant to go down into the cellar and question why CV was not standing outside by the door with her things.

Someone mentioned that Deodar Rd (off Putney Bridge Rd) was a quiet area to abduct a lone female driver on her way to the pub. SLs body may be buried there
LSW mentioned this road, I don’t know what prompted it. If this was a meeting place CV or A N Other would have had to lure SJL there.
I looked at Google Earth and it appears you can get almost to the rear of the PoW today by car? Does anyone know what access was like back in 1986?

Sorry to be cynical but DV didn’t include BW because he believed SJL went straight to the PoW, so she must have been wrong.

He didn't include BW in his book because her sighting that afternoon scuppers his theory!

However, I do think he missed a good opportunity by not including BW in his book. After all, a few of the people he interviewed for his book had changed their story from '86 and who's to say BW hadn't changed hers? It would be extremely interesting to hear nowadays what she believes she saw that afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike