UK UK - Suzy Lamplugh, 25, Fulham, 28 July 1986

Status
Not open for further replies.
DH was her first boyfriend and remained close, AL was the current boyfriend that featured with her mother and father when the police had the first real press conference. It’s all in Andrew Stephen’s book, can’t print names as you know.

I am a DH so that should be easy enough to remember. So it’s DH that didn’t respond for 5 days after she went missing?

I am a DH so that should be easy enough to remember. So it’s DH that didn’t respond for 5 days after she went missing?
I've learned recently that he was cleared by the police, travelling back via a more scenic route, I don't know where he was on the 28th July. Does anyone else know?

Does anyone who has read the Stephen’s book want to give any more details from there about this DH and also the new man that SJL met who she might have replaced AL with?

I really want to get a copy of that book but I can’t pay £60 for it!!

Does anyone who has read the Stephen’s book want to give any more details from there about this DH and also the new man that SJL met who she might have replaced AL with?

I really want to get a copy of that book but I can’t pay £60 for it!!
Do you live in London? You can read a copy in the London library - just check beforehand. I think the book is 100 pages long

Do you live in London? You can read a copy in the London library - just check beforehand. I think the book is 100 pages long
192 pages long, perhaps those of us who have a copy should make the content available to those who don't, I agree the prices are crazy I paid £30 for a copy and i think I did quite well.

192 pages long, perhaps those of us who have a copy should make the content available to those who don't, I agree the prices are crazy I paid £30 for a copy and i think I did quite well.
I don't have a copy btw

Agree £60 is crazy. Would have been a great trade to buy them for £1 back in 2000 when the Met made them worthless by saying JC dunnit. After 20 years there is still no evidence he did hence people like us paying £60 to find out who it really was...

I wonder what would be best way to pdf the book say?

Scaning each page, time consuming....

Well, I think there's a copyright issue with scanning all of the pages and posting on here
Agree, it's a famous book and would generate a copyright infringement is posted online as a scanned document. It's a pity we can't get the publisher to provide a ebook version.

Well, I think there's a copyright issue with scanning all of the pages and posting on here

You wouldn’t post it on here though it would have to be a different way.

for the people who have read the 1988 book would you say you learn more about Suzy than the new book?

I've just written to Faber & Faber as follows. I sent my email to garights@faber.co.uk. ‎

Dear all,

I’m not sure who to direct this to, so have made a best guess via your website.

This email is regarding the above 1988 Faber title, “The Suzy Lamplugh Story: The Search for the Truth“ ISBN 10 0571154158‎. As you are perhaps aware, Suzy Lamplugh was a London estate agent who famously disappeared one day in 1986, and who has never been seen since. In 1988, Faber published a factual book about the case by Sunday Times journalist Andrew Stephen. This investigated the disappearance in great depth using sources not readily available to the press of the day. The case is still unsolved.

Interest in this mystery has never really gone away, with cold case reinvestigations, TV specials on the various anniversary dates, and so on. Andrew Stephen’s book is long out of print, but due to its authoritative quality and this ongoing interest, it is now selling second-hand for upwards of £50. This, for example, is an AbeBooks listing offering the title at over £130. This is an eBay seller who is getting £68 for it and has already sold 14 copies at that price.

The reason for my inquiry is to ask whether you have considered either reprinting the title or perhaps making it available as an eBook through Kindle or similar. On the evidence above, you could sell this at the same price as a new non-fiction title, maybe around £15, and I am guessing that you would not need to sell very many to cover the costs of digitising it.

I would respectfully invite you to consider a reissue on some such basis.

I'll see what response that elicits - if they tell me a better place to write to, I'll advise. I'd have thought the case for reissuing it would be obvious but in case it's not a few others could perhaps write in and point out in addition that DV's book is selling well, so why wouldn't this one...

I've just written to Faber & Faber as follows. I sent my email to garights@faber.co.uk. ‎

Dear all,

This email is regarding the above 1988 Faber title, “The Suzy Lamplugh Story: The Search for the Truth“ ISBN 10 0571154158‎. As you are perhaps aware, Suzy Lamplugh was a London estate agent who famously disappeared one day in 1986, and who has never been seen since. In 1988, Faber published a factual book about the case by Sunday Times journalist Andrew Stephen. This investigated the disappearance in great depth using sources not readily available to the press of the day. The case is still unsolved.

Interest in this mystery has never really gone away, with cold case reinvestigations, TV specials on the various anniversary dates, and so on. Andrew Stephen’s book is long out of print, but due to its authoritative quality and this ongoing interest, it is now selling second-hand for upwards of £50. This, for example, is an AbeBooks listing offering the title at over £130. This is an eBay seller who is getting £68 for it and has already sold 14 copies at that price.

The reason for my inquiry is to ask whether you have considered either reprinting the title or perhaps making it available as an eBook through Kindle or similar. On the evidence above, you could sell this at the same price as a new non-fiction title, maybe around £15, and I am guessing that you would not need to sell very many to cover the costs of digitising it.

I'll see what response that elicits - if they tell me a better place to write to, I'll advise. I'd have thought the case for reissuing it would be obvious but in case it's not a few others could perhaps write in and point out in addition that DV's book is selling well, so why wouldn't this one...

this is brilliant thanks for doing this
It’s actually a great time for them to reissue it because of the renewed interest in the case due to the DV book. So they would definitely I think sell lots of copies. I’d for sure buy one as soon as it came out on kindle and £15 would be a price I’d pay. I’m not paying £68 for a second hand copy, it’s too expensive for me.

this is brilliant thanks for doing this
It’s actually a great time for them to reissue it because of the renewed interest in the case due to the DV book. So they would definitely I think sell lots of copies. I’d for sure buy one as soon as it came out on kindle and £15 would be a price I’d pay. I’m not paying £68 for a second hand copy, it’s too expensive for me.
I hear you. It's like paying £10 for a can of Coke outside the Tower of London in tourist season. It's not that I haven't got the £10; it's that it's outrageous.

Dear all,

Great idea @WestLondoner.

I think we should all contact Faber & Faber and suggest a reprint, after all if they get a number of requests about Stephen's book then they might well decide to do this.

The more the merrier as they say!

Well done @WestLondoner.
I've followed your lead and written to the publisher asking if they would consider a reprint of Andrew Stephens book The Suzy Lamplugh Story. I won't bore you all with the detail, just outlined how important it is as a reference and also the human element it contains.

I too have sent an email asking them to consider reprinting Stephen's book.

I went along the lines of how much renewed interest there has been in Suzy's disappearance, with several tv documentaries, online crime forums and David Videcette's recently published book breathing new life into the case.

Videcette's book is at #9 on Amazon's Top 100 Law Enforcement Biographies and is selling well, so I suggested they should 'strike while the iron's hot' as the phrase goes!

Fingers crossed our requests will bear fruit.

The most valuable thing about the Andrew Stephen title is that as it was written before JC came to light, it's uncontaminated with any of the later speculative links to him. It's what was known and thought relevant at the time.

It's often suggested that JC's in the frame because he had just been released, but the question that goes along with that one is OK, but who else similar to JC had just been released?

1,000 to 3,000 rapists are convicted every year in the UK (the number has fallen lately). Assuming they all go to jail, there must be a similar number also getting released. There are 117 prisons in the UK today; I don't know how many there were in 1986, but taking the lower number, it's easy to see that 1,000 / 117 = 9 rapists released per year, per prison.

This suggests that in the 6 months before SJL disappeared, at least 500 completed their sentence and were released. The real number could be much higher. Wormwood Scrubs currently holds about 1,300 prisoners, so it's proportionately quite large. If 3,000 rapists were released that year and were in prisons proportionately to to the prison's size, as many as 50 could have been released from the Scrubs that year - that's one a week.

JC is thus maybe only one of as many as 25 or 30 offenders to have been released so far that year. He was the most recently released, but what about the bloke the week before that, and the week before that, and the week before that? Are all these other recently-released offenders accounted for?

Last edited:
The most valuable thing about the Andrew Stephen title is that as it was written before JC came to light, it's uncontaminated with any of the later speculative links to him. It's what was known and thought relevant at the time.

It's often suggested that JC's in the frame because he had just been released, but the question that goes along with that one is OK, but who else similar to JC had just been released?

1,000 to 3,000 rapists are convicted every year in the UK (the number has fallen lately). Assuming they all go to jail, there must be a similar number also getting released. There are 117 prisons in the UK today; I don't know how many there were in 1986, but taking the lower number, it's easy to see that 1,000 / 117 = 9 rapists released per year, per prison.

This suggests that in the 6 months before SJL disappeared, at least 500 completed their sentence and were released. The real number could be much higher. Wormwood Scrubs currently holds about 1,300 prisoners, so it's proportionately quite large. If 3,000 rapists were released that year and were in prisons proportionately to to the prison's size, as many as 50 could have been released from the Scrubs that year - that's one a week.

JC is thus maybe only one of as many as 25 or 30 offenders to have been released so far that year. He was the most recently released, but what about the bloke the week before that, and the week before that, and the week before that? Are all these other recently-released offenders accounted for?
Initially, the police believed there was a second house viewing on Shorrolds Rd and she was left in an abandoned house nearby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa