UK - Tony Eastlake, 55, stabbed to death, London, 29 May 2021 *arrest*

Peppiatt appeared via videolink from prison for a hearing at the Old Bailey on Monday morning, facing a charge of murder.

“Mr Peppiatt is aged 21, he is charged with the murder of Tony Eastlake, who was aged 55,” said prosecutor Julian Evans.

The court heard Ms Callaghan, 43, [defendant's mother] took her own life on April 1 this year at her Islington home.

[...]

He spoke only briefly to confirm his identity, and is due to return to court on August 23 to enter a plea to the charge of murder.

Murder accused is son of florist victim’s girlfriend, court hears

Central Criminal Court 6 T20217167
James Peppiatt
Details: For Mention (Defendant to Attend) - Case Started - 09:30
For Mention (Defendant to Attend) - Case Started - 09:40
For Mention (Defendant to Attend) - Hearing finished for JAMES PEPPIATT - 10:04

https://www.thelawpages.com/court-hearings-lists/Central-Criminal-Court.php

Man 'killed florist who was dating his mum after altercation after her death'
He separated from his wife in 2018 and in due course he began a relationship with Alicia Callaghan, the defendant's mother.

"In due course Mr Eastlake moved into her address in Elmore Street, N1.
On 1st April this year Ms Callaghan took her own life, that had a great impact upon the defendant, it also had a great impact on the victim.
On the day the victim was working on the flower stall he finished at about 5pm."

The pair are said to have met and exchanged blows in an 'altercation' which left Peppiatt with a face injury, the court heard.

Moments later they clashed again on Halliford Street and Peppiatt allegedly stabbed Mr Eastlake, inflicting a fatal injury to the victim's aorta.

Peppiatt, of Elmore Street, faces one charge of murder.

Just spotted that the defendant is back at the Old Bailey (via videolink, at least) on Monday for a plea hearing:

Court 5 - sitting at 09:30 am

HIS HONOUR JUDGE LEONARD QC

Plea and Trial Preparation
T20217167 PEPPIATT James 01MP0109921 LONNM Crown Prosecution Service
CVP (Link on front page of DCS), *Lithuanian interpreter*

Does anyone know why a Lithuanian interpreter would be needed?

From 23rd August -

"James Peppiatt, 21, appeared at the Old Bailey this morning by video-link from HMP Belmarsh, charged with his murder.

He did not enter a plea but his lawyers indicated he will deny the charge. [...]

He was remanded in custody ahead of a plea and trial preparation hearing on September 13.

Judge Anthony Leonard, QC, fixed a provisional trial date for July 18 next year. "

Alleged killer, 21, of 'The Flower Man of Islington' will go on trial next July | Daily Mail Online

Not guilty? He stabbed him in the back. How is that self defence? MOO

Therefore, the matter is next listed for a hearing on September 15.

11​
T20217167​
James Peppiatt​
Details:Custody Time Limit application - Case Started - 09:44
Custody Time Limit application - Hearing finished for JAMES PEPPIATT - 09:52

https://www.thelawpages.com/court-hearings-lists/crown-court-daily/14/lists/2023-02-14

"An alleged killer accused of stabbing a popular florist to death will stand trial in August." [2023]

August trial for man accused of murdering Islington’s ‘Flower Man’ – Court News UK
That's a long, long time to be on remand.

"The 55-year-old had been in a relationship with Peppiatt's mum Alicia Callaghan after splitting with his wife in 2018, jurors heard.

The Old Bailey was told she tragically took her own life on April 1, 2021. [...]

"Tony Eastlake told his friend that James Peppiatt blamed him for his mother's death."

On May 29, 2021, Tony called Peppiatt for two minutes while packing up his flower stall at around 5pm.

He then made his way along Essex Road where he met the defendant and the pair carried on walking together.

The court was told Tony was later heard saying something along the lines of: "Don't p**s me off, I've took a lot, I've kept quiet"."

“James Peppiatt reacted to those words”, said Mr Evans.

“With an outstretched arm, he moved at speed towards Tony Eastlake. Although exactly what then happened can’t be seen entirely, it’s clear the two of them started having a fight.”

He said Peppiatt emerged from the brawl with a cut above his left eye, and Mr Eastlake then started to walk away.

“James Peppiatt was not prepared to let the matter end there”, said the prosecutor. “He was not prepared to let Tony Eastlake just walk away. He was still upset and James Peppiatt wanted to carry on.”

It is said the two men exchanged further words as they walked down the road, and as they reached Halliford Street Peppiatt was overheard by an eyewitness saying: “Don’t *advertiser censored**ing talk to me like that.”

The witness reported seeing Peppiatt “approach Tony Eastlake from behind and punch him once in the back on the left side”, but Mr Evans said “the reality was very different”.

"Jurors heard the fight between the pair lasted for between 30-40 seconds, and both men seemed to suffer injuries.

Mr Eastlake tried to walk away as Peppiatt asked him 'where are you going?'

Peppiatt then followed Mr Eastlake as he turned down Haliford Road, the court heard.

Eye witness, David Johnston, was leaving his address on Halliford Street when he saw the two men in the middle of the street walking in the direction of Essex Road.

'Initially Mr Johnston thought the two men were messing around with each other, he saw Tony Eastlake turn around and look towards James Peppiatt with a half-smile.

'Mr Johnson then heard James Peppiatt say something like 'don't *advertiser censored**ing talk to me like that'.

'Mr Johnston then saw James Peppiatt approach Mr Eastlake from behind and punch him once in the back on the left side.

'It is the prosecution's case that as James Peppiatt approached Tony Eastlake from behind on that street, he, James Peppiatt was holding a knife and rather than punching Tony Eastlake in the back, James Peppiatt stabbed him once in the back from behind with a knife and it caused a wound which proved fatal,' said Mr Evans.

After the stabbing Peppiatt turned back and retraced his steps as Mr Eastlake continued towards Essex Road before collapsing in a car park."

9​
T20217167​
James Peppiatt​
Details:Trial (Part Heard) - Resume - 10:05
Trial (Part Heard) - Witness Number 1 Sworn - 10:22
Trial (Part Heard) - Case adjourned until 11:45 - 11:31
Trial (Part Heard) - Witness Number 1 Continues - 11:50
Trial (Part Heard) - Case adjourned until 14:05 - 12:56
Trial (Part Heard) - Witness Number 1 Continues - 14:10
Trial (Part Heard) - No Event - 15:04
Trial (Part Heard) - Legal Submissions - 15:46
Trial (Part Heard) - Case adjourned until 12:00 - 15:47
https://www.thelawpages.com/court-hearings-lists/crown-court-daily/14/lists/2023-08-08

9​
T20217167​
James Peppiatt​
Details:- No Information To Display -
Trial (Part Heard) - Witness Number 2 Sworn - 12:11
Trial (Part Heard) - Case adjourned until 14:05 - 12:58
Trial (Part Heard) - Resume - 14:06
Trial (Part Heard) - No Event - 14:11
Trial (Part Heard) - Case adjourned until 15:30 - 15:18
Trial (Part Heard) - Resume - 15:32
Trial (Part Heard) - No Event - 15:38
Trial (Part Heard) - Legal Submissions - 15:53
Trial (Part Heard) - Case adjourned until 10:00 - 16:04
https://www.thelawpages.com/court-hearings-lists/Central-Criminal-Court.php

Mr Eastlake, who was unarmed, began to walk away but Mr Peppiatt followed him into Halliford Street, jurors were told. [...]

An examination of the stab wound found it was 6.5cm deep and had damaged the thoracic aorta, the main blood vessel in the body, the court was told.

Afterwards, Mr Peppiatt had retraced his steps and walked back down Halliford Street bleeding from the cut on his eye, the court heard.

On the afternoon of 1 June 2021, he went to Islington police station to hand himself in.

Mr Peppiatt, of Elmore Street, in Islington, denies murder and the Old Bailey trial continues.

"He packed up his stall at around 5.15pm, made a two-minute phone call to Peppiatt and set off, meeting the defendant in the street about two minutes later.

When they reached Ecclesbourne Road, a fight broke out after Mr Eastlake allegedly said: “Don’t piss me off. I took a lot. I kept quiet.”

Mr Evans said: “The fight went on for perhaps 30-40 seconds and during the course of that fight both men went to the floor and both men suffered injuries.

“James Peppiatt had been wearing a black hoodie and that appears to have come off. And after the fight came to an end James Peppiatt had suffered a cut to his face, a gash above his left eye and it began to bleed.”

Can't find any trial reporting but there is this from opening speeches -

"Dean George KC, representing Mr Peppiatt, made a brief opening statement to the jury on Tuesday, calling on them to “keep your minds open”, and alleged it was in fact Mr Eastlake who brought the knife to the meeting.

He said: “[Mr Eastlake] intended on starting the fight. Mr Peppiatt acted in self-defence.”

[...]

Mr Evans KC told the court: “It is the prosecution case that when he approached Tony Eastlake from behind, James Peppiatt was holding a knife. Rather than punching him, James Peppiatt stabbed Tony Eastlake once in the back, from behind, with a knife. The stab wound proved fatal.”

[...]

“In Halliford Street, knife in hand, he stabbed an unarmed man from behind,” Mr Evans KC said about the defendant."

Jury told partner’s son killed florist

'I said to him say that again. He spun round again and said to me come here and I'll say it.

[...]

'I thought he was challenging me to another fight. I was angry and I was ready to have another fight with him.

'He was offering me out and I'm not gonna back down from a challenge so I walked up to him.

'Then when he spun round he had a knife in his hand. I see it shining out of his hand.

'I grabbed the knife and then I grabbed his shirt.

Peppiatt said he 'hadn't a clue' where the knife came from and he hadn't seen it before.

'He was angry, groaning and growling. We both ended up going to the floor, at this point fighting over the knife.

'He was kind of just struggling on the floor with the knife and then he rolled on top of me and tried to pin me down.

'As Tony pinned me down I managed to wriggle out of his grip, free my right hand.

'And then from what I remember I punched him in the rib, and then as I punched him he made some kind of weird noise.

'When he got off of me he had a weird look on his face.

'And then he said to me "you little mug, wait here, I'm coming back."

'I thought he might go and get another weapon and then come back.'

[...]

'As I stood up I've looked down and I've seen that I'm holding Tony's knife."

• 22 August 2023
A man has been found guilty at the Old Bailey of murdering a popular north London flower-seller.
James Peppiatt, who was the son of flower-seller Tony Eastlake's late girlfriend, got into a street brawl about his mother's suicide, for which he blamed Mr Eastlake.
Mr Eastlake was fatally stabbed in the back in Essex Road, Islington, in the 2021 incident.
The jury delivered the guilty verdict after deliberating for 13 hours and Judge Richard Marks KC adjourned sentencing until 24 August.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back