UK- Two cases of monkeypox virus found in Wales, June 2021

That's good news for the UK, sounds like they have been vaccinating high-risk individuals for some time now and it is having a significant impact, along with behavioral changes among the high-risk population.

Here in the U.S., I've been reading that we have a shortage of the vaccine for monkeypox, and cases are still on the incline. I think the FDA and CDC have figured out a way to stretch the vaccines so that there is more to go around. I don't have the link, but read in the news recently (or maybe here?) that one vial of the vaccine right now can be used for 5 people instead of just for one person.
Having more vaccine available would surely help, along with behavioral changes.

By Steve McKinley Nov. 28, 2022 rbbm.
''Monkeypox will be getting a new name, following a global consultation with experts, in a move designed to avoid discrimination and stigma attached to the current one, says the World Health Organization.

The preferred name for the viral disease going forward will be “mpox,” the organization said in a statement Monday. Both names will be used interchangeably for the next year, until the former is phased out.

“Considerations for the recommendations included rationale, scientific appropriateness, extent of current usage, pronounceability, usability in different languages, absence of geographical or zoological references, and the ease of retrieval of historical scientific information,” said the organization.''

''The renaming of disease is a relatively rare process — this one was accomplished through a fast-tracked series of consultations with WHO’s member states, the organization said.''

I always thought it was one of those things that would spring up somewhere, and then go away just as rapidly. It has in the past.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheMidge
Back