UK - US Diplomat's wife leaves UK after killing Harry Dunn, age 19, Northampton, Sept 2019 *suspended sentence*

Hiyaaaa! Thanks for tagging me.

Really pleased to hear she will face a trial. I just wish she'd had the balls to do it at the time and save Harry's family all this heartache. If she had faced the music, over two years ago, the legalities of this tragedy would have been far behind her by now. There wouldn't have been anywhere near as much press coverage, or expense, or shame heaped on the Sacoolas family.

I agree completely. If she had co-operated with the police, and stayed in the UK, I doubt many people now would still know who she was. Running away back to the US just made everything worse for her, and she's still got it hanging over her head now. Hopefully she'll comply and give evidence and let the Dunn family have closure.

Hiyaaaa! Thanks for tagging me.

Really pleased to hear she will face a trial. I just wish she'd had the balls to do it at the time and save Harry's family all this heartache. If she had faced the music, over two years ago, the legalities of this tragedy would have been far behind her by now. There wouldn't have been anywhere near as much press coverage, or expense, or shame heaped on the Sacoolas family.

Yes! I have complete confidence that if she had spoken quickly to the British police something like "I'm in Intelligence and this must be kept quiet" we would not have heard much at all.

Harry's family would have had information relevant to them, that's enough for me!

She made it worse for everyone, IMHO.

jmho ymmv lrr

I suspect that Anne Sacoolas did not flee the U.K. without advice and assistance. It was bad advice, in my opinion, and it may have come from officialdom. Look at the public record. The story sounds like a knee jerk reaction by someone else.

She was willing to deal with the British police, and then suddenly she was reclassified as a diplomat and is flown out of the country. That didn't just happen.

If someone in officialdom made a bad decision, and it can now only be seen in the aftermath, we can't expect an "I'm sorry," or any kind public admission of error. I think some of the U.S. response looks like "how do we solve this without making it worse?" But, since the family wanted public justice, and they didn't give up, it -- the long tale of frustration -- comes to where we are today.

Well. Not sure how I feel about this:

A U.K. court handed down an eight-month suspended prison sentence to Anne Sacoolas, an American woman who admitted to causing the death of 19-year-old Harry Dunn by careless driving in August 2019.

and

The suspended sentence means that as long as she does not commit another offense in the next year, she will not face jail.

Sacoolas has acted responsibly recently -- and this differs from her choices at the time of Mr. Dunn's death.

I suppose acknowledging this change? This is what I think would have happened if Sacoolas had accepted responsibility shortly after the accident.

This U.K. court is more gracious than I imho.

Well. Not sure how I feel about this:

A U.K. court handed down an eight-month suspended prison sentence to Anne Sacoolas, an American woman who admitted to causing the death of 19-year-old Harry Dunn by careless driving in August 2019.

and

The suspended sentence means that as long as she does not commit another offense in the next year, she will not face jail.

Sacoolas has acted responsibly recently -- and this differs from her choices at the time of Mr. Dunn's death.

I suppose acknowledging this change? This is what I think would have happened if Sacoolas had accepted responsibility shortly after the accident.

This U.K. court is more gracious than I imho.

I had a feeling they would go easy on her once she admitted guilt. It's probably considered old fashioned in the US now, but courts often used these kinds of sentences to reinforce the idea of using "community standards" for behavior to make people understand and admit their fault. When they do so, they're considered back in good standing with the community. It's the old fashioned idea that you have a responsibility to others to follow laws, help others and make amends. Done right, you don't end up with so many people behind bars.

If someone in officialdom made a bad decision, and it can now only be seen in the aftermath, we can't expect an "I'm sorry," or any kind public admission of error. I think some of the U.S. response looks like "how do we solve this without making it worse?" But, since the family wanted public justice, and they didn't give up, it -- the long tale of frustration -- comes to where we are today.

If so, its a shame. No excuse to treat our oldest, most trusted ally this way.

I just seems such a pathetic consequence for taking someone's life, accidentally or not. And really absurd that her husband's occupation affords protection the average person does not get, if I recall this case correctly.
I agree. But I knew when it happened there would be no real consequences. I am surprised she even had to return to the UK.

I just seems such a pathetic consequence for taking someone's life, accidentally or not. And really absurd that her husband's occupation affords protection the average person does not get, if I recall this case correctly.
I agree. But I knew when it happened there would be no real consequences. I am surprised she even had to return to the UK.

OMG in my opinion that is so heartless a thing to do. My heart breaks for this family. JMO

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shaunie
Back