UND freshman addresses bullying, racism incidents from junior high

Rocco

Reaction score
According to a report in the Arizona Republic, Miller admitted in juvenile court to tricking an African American classmate, who had developmental disabilities, into licking a candy push pop that had been wiped in a urinal. Video surveillance also showed Miller and two other boys punching and kicking the victim.

The report also says that Miller, who was 14 years old at the time, called the victim racist names and "repeatedly used the N-word."

Miller was kicked out of school and sentenced by the court to 25 hours of community service. He also was sent to counseling and required to write the victim a letter of apology.

Miller, who enrolled at UND this fall, was picked in the fourth round by the Arizona Coyotes in the NHL Draft earlier this month.

And today? '' UND President Andrew Armacost announced in a letter to campus Friday morning that he made the decision to remove the freshman hockey player from the team, but said Miller is welcome to remain at UND as a student.''

''When asked why the decision was ultimately left up to him, Armacost said, "because I'm the President."

The UND hockey coach previously stated Miller was going to remain on the team. He referred to what happened as an 'unfortunate incident'.

What a bunch of baloney. It wasn't just one incident, it was years of abuse.

Mitchell Miller no longer a part of UND hockey team | Grand Forks Herald

I'm all for giving kids a second chance if they make a mistake but when you torment a disabled student for years, that's not a mistake. It's a statement as to what kind of person you are. Who would want him representing their team in college or the NHL? No one.

What a monster.

This reminds me of a Oregon State baseball player Luke Heinrich. When he was a junior, it became public that he was a sex offender. The college stood by him but MLB did not so he wasn't drafted.
So what you do as a 15 yo affects your whole life.

behind a paywall for me...gotta ask 'who taught Mitchell Miller that was OK???'

jmho ymmv lrr
Good question!!

He got kicked out of school in middle school, had to go to court and was sentenced to community service for his ongoing bullying and then in high school----he was at it again---bullying the same kid.

Where were his parents during all of this????

And before he got kicked out of middle school, he was previously issued a 3 day suspension for his actions.

The knucklehead just doesn't learn!!

The buzz around town is he should be given a second chance. He's had that. How many chances does he get? People are talking about his life being ruined because of something he did in middle school. How about the life of the kid he bullied being ruined because of him???

I hope this incident is preached to middle school and high school athletes all over the country.

If you are a bully, you probably will never play professional sports and you may not even play sports in college.

Let them think about THAT!

I really hope no team picks him up. Not in college and not in the NHL.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shaunie
Back