Unfavorable drug studies don't get into print

Thats what i refuse to take medicine like antidepressants or adderall. They just make it 10 times worse....i dont trust this world anymore.

I've taken at least 5 different antidepressants and none has worked. It's all a crock to make money by medicine corporations; with their packaged promotional crap.

I don't think the things mentioned here are anything new really. We already know the crap the FDA let's slide and the studies they allow to remain hidden or allow to remain un-studied all together.

If not for Psychiatric medications and the effectiveness of them I would not be alive today.. no If's And's or But's! I am not saying this as a way of merely expressing that they have "helped" me in my fight with mental illness. I'm also not refering to my "Co-morbid" illnesses, I am referring specifically to my Bipolar disorder.

I am saying, straight up, that if not for finally finding the dedicated mental health professional willing to work with me in every way she could and eventually finding the perfect "cocktail" for me, I would not have lived to see 30! I would have ended my life! I knew it, she knew it, my husband and the rest of my family knew it... and by that time everyone but my mental health professional was at the point of almost even accepting that as my only option.

I'm not going to sit here and go into my whole story again but I will say this- I have been mentally ill my whole life, been on and off of anti-depressents since I was 12, was finally properly diagnosed at 22 years old.. I am now almost 36 and only within the last 5-6 years did I end up on the proper cocktail of meds that help in keeping me stable.

Perhaps they didn't work for you or someone you know but being diagnosed with the proper illness and then finding the right medications for you are the biggest battles! Another is that people expect to "pop a pill" and get well.. I'm sorry to say that like addiction, mental illness does not work that way. If you want it to work, you have to work it!

Don't get me wrong, I had my share of crappy Shrinks medicating me so heavily that my stove appeared to move across the kitchen..I was so drugged up sometimes I couldn't be left alone with my own child. I even swore off Shrinks, hell, anyone with an RX pad for several years because of bad experiences.

Sitting here typing this out though, I'm very glad, as is my family, that I didn't give up on the entire mental health community and every Psychiatric medication.

For anyone reading this thread that feels they may have a mental illness, please do not let this thread keep you from attempting to get help! Mental illness is very real and there is help out there! For me, medication is part of it.. it may or may not be the same for you! But please, whatever you do, do not give up hope!!

I've taken at least 5 different antidepressants and none has worked. It's all a crock to make money by medicine corporations; with their packaged promotional crap.

You're right; there's too much open push-advertising of these drugs. It's confusing to people, since the pharmas all seem to claim magic powers for their drug. Like OneLostGrl, keep trying to cut through the BS and find something that works for you, even though the big pharmas make it difficult for you along with your doctor to make a simple informed decision by their flooding the airwaves with pretty promises.

OneLostGrl, good for you and thanks for sharing your life with us. It means a lot to those who are seeking.

Crypto6

You're right; there's too much open push-advertising of these drugs. It's confusing to people, since the pharmas all seem to claim magic powers for their drug. Like OneLostGrl, keep trying to cut through the BS and find something that works for you, even though the big pharmas make it difficult for you along with your doctor to make a simple informed decision by their flooding the airwaves with pretty promises.

OneLostGrl, good for you and thanks for sharing your life with us. It means a lot to those who are seeking.

Crypto6

Crypto, have you seen this study reported in Reuter's today?
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22804481/wid/11915773?gt1=10815

In short, for posterity, since news articles come and go, a genetic mutation may be responsibile for creating the exact thing we were discussing earlier- the blood brain barrier. If a drug cannot pass through the blood brain barrier, it cannot work on the neurotransmitters in the brain.
In the article, it is stated that up to 30% of people treated with anti-depressants have the genetic resistance. A test is being developed which will allow doctors to know whether the person has natural genetic resistance before therapy is initiated. A few of the newer SSRIs are not affected by the genetic mutation, the one specifically mentioned is Remeron. Celexa and Effexor were not able to be utilized in the bodies of the people with the genetic resistance.

I think this should have been the second part of the article released by Yahoo. It all fits together, and seems to explain chemically why SSRIs/SSNIs work for some people and not others.

Crypto6

Thank you. I share my story because I think mental illness awareness is very important, right up there with child abuse, IMO!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaeMae0823
Back