United Kingdom and Ireland - Weather Discussion

Crazy weather here in West Dorset, wild,wild winds, torrential rain. I was nearly airbourne at one point today. Now cosy in bed while the storm rages. Heaven knows how I will get to work at 0700 hrs, I have to travel cross country including driving through a ford.
More details here

Luckily I managed to do my travelling to see family on the dry days but the weather has been pretty rough since Christmas. Today has been nice but now the storm warnings are out again.

It's been pretty wild the last couple of weeks although I think in the NE we have missed the worst. It's quite scary when it's really windy where we live, as we are quite high up (top floor flat) So I got myself worked up a bit too much over it before Christmas, and it didn't really materialise, not for us anyway. It's been horrible for a lot of places down south though, and parts of Ireland and Wales. These atlantic storms need to go away, I want some snow, and I haven't seen one single flake this winter.

Today has been crazy, a spring tide and a storm surge pushing so much water inland.

And of course stupid people are out in force - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...NGULFED-huge-wave-walk-Cornish-sea-front.html (the family will feature in many of tomorrow's papers)

There have been so many warnings to people to STAY AWAY; they don't just endanger themselves, they endanger our rescue services who will have to try and find them.

A reporter in one location - [video=youtube;5eEh02g45-k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eEh02g45-k[/video]

horses.jpg

These horses are trying to swim for safety near Hurn airport, near Bournemouth/
Dorset has been hit hard by these storms. Part of our Jurassic coastline has been changed forever. There are floods everywhere and no room for any more rain and still it pours, I can hear it now.

Lots of local stories here

met.jpg

I live in the middle of all the red bits on the current Met Office flood warning map above

Almost hurricane force winds here today, Any more rain and we will be in trouble. Both rivers in the village have burst their banks.
Dog walking will be interesting today

I have been known to moan a bit about German weather but I've just seen a news pic of my old house in England. Underwater. I'm going to start counting my blessings from now on.

Look at this youtube uploaded from Newlyn. The sea has moved up an entire street. I'd be out of there!

http://youtu.be/GVi4VZ0H2Qc

ETA: They haven't even got shutters on the lower windows. If the sea knocks them in, it will sweep in and sweep back out, taking furniture and and any occupants with it. SO dangerous and it looks like people haven't evacuated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 14
There are rains, gales and floods today in many parts of the UK. Roads and railways and bridges are closed, some areas have been evacuated and the media's reporting sandbags are in such short supply thieves have been pinching them and selling them on the black market.

People in the West Country aren't impressed:
https://www.facebook.com/ITVWestcountry

And a bog has caught fire in Wales
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/uk-weather-live-updates-every-3143744

I hope all UK-based WSers are safe and well, and preferably dry too.

Stiff upper lip's still there though. And red telephone boxes. :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 11
Taxi driver killed by falling masonry after 122mph winds leave 10,000 without
power and flooded roads and leaves on the line mean misery for commuters

• Two deaths in Bridlington and Reading today after hurricane-force winds and torrential rain strike the nation
• Taxi driver, 61, was killed after masonry was blown off a building on to him and his taxi in East Yorkshire
• Motorcyclist dies in crash with a tractor on a leaf-strewn country road in Berkshire this morning, police say
• Motorists faced 13-mile tailbacks on the M4 in south Wales as floods of water sweep across the motorway
• 84mph winds tore down trees and ripped out power lines in parts of Cumbria and Northern Ireland
• More than 10,000 homes were left without power this morning, closing two schools in the Lake District
• Trains were cancelled in North-West because of tree on line at Penrith, with delays for dozens more services
• Environment Agency issues four flood alerts for north-east of England during high tide tomorrow morning
• Gloucestershire, Devon, Cornwall and south Wales have also been given flood risk warnings for Wednesday

The story & pictures at DM link above

Three people killed and another three injured as Hurricane Gonzalo batters Britain with 70mph winds and heavy rain

⁍ A woman has died after being hit by a falling tree opposite Knightsbridge Barracks in central London this morning
⁍ Another man died in Essex when a van he was repairing fell on him after a strong gust of wind topped it off a car jack
⁍ A 63-year-old died after his car hit a bridge in windy and wet conditions in Merseyside at around 4.30am
⁍ Three others injured in West Sussex by a falling tree, including one woman who was thought to be in a wheelchair
⁍ Heathrow Airport has cancelled or delayed 110 flights as Hurricane Gonzalo battered Britain this morning
⁍ Rail companies in the south have announced delays of around 10 minutes and part cancellations this morning
⁍ Traffic jams were reported along the A1(M) near Cambridge due to an overturned lorry and along the M3
⁍ Northern Scotland saw the worst of the weather with winds of up to 70mph and two weeks of rainfall by 9am

The story and pictures at DM link above

The trees outside my window are bending and the wind sounds like a train is going by :scared:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
therealdrreid
Back