UPDATE- Bin Laden is Dead-President spoke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, as a mom of a son who has been on 5 deployments since 2001, all I can say is I cried. Sad tears for everything that has happened. Relief tears for "maybe it's over"?

Maybe I'm living in "mom-la-la-land", but I felt a bit of lightness in my chest that has been missing for a decade.

And for that, my tears were gratefull.

Kimster,

This is so huge for our kids. IMO, they were terrorized as children. We were grown-ups. We got it. We knew our country would protect us and that 9/11 and the WTC would not happen again tomorrow. They did not understand that.

They are grown up now. The wicked man of their childhood is dead. We should probably all talk to them about their childhood of anxiety that tomorrow could bring be 9/11 again.

War on our soil. We never knew that - our parents and grandparents never knew that. Our children did.

:grouphug: for our kids. Can't everyone see how thrilled they are on TV?

BBM My parents knew that, they fought in the 2nd world war, my grandparents knew that, they fought in the 1st world war. My generation knew that, friends fought in Vietnam, my children knew that, as did we, we were all in NY on 9/11....sorry, can't agree with you, there isn't a generation of my family going back 100 years that hasn't known war on their soil.

au contraire my friend!

The epitome of justice IS class and restraint.

Remember in Schindler's List this quote?

Oskar Schindler: Power is when we have every justification to kill, and we don't.
Amon Goeth: You think that's power?
Oskar Schindler: That's what the Emperor said. A man steals something, he's brought in before the Emperor, he throws himself down on the ground. He begs for his life, he knows he's going to die. And the Emperor... pardons him. This worthless man, he lets him go.
Amon Goeth: I think you are drunk.
Oskar Schindler: That's power, Amon. That is power

Let's say we hadn't killed him. Let's say we put him on trial and got him sentenced to life. What do you think would happen then? You really think that Al Quaeda would thank us? No, it would let loose a round of terrorism that neither we nor any other country has ever seen before. And it wouldn't be just us, it would be any country that stood with us. And there would be attempt after attempt to rescue him. Then the complaints would start. Someone, somehow would find something to complain about. And he would still stand as a martyr for Al Quaeda. But instead of fear or respect for us, behind us they would be saying that we were too weak to fight, too weak to defend against our enemies. See we let bin laden live. Cause we were too afraid of Al Quaeda to kill him.

IIRC that is one of the things the Mideast accuses us of, that we want to take over the world and become "world leaders." Personally I don't want to. I just want the right to sit in my own country, live my life and see my family. I just want my country to become stable, to live in peace with all, and to help others where we can, when we can.
Exactly, that is why I rejoice every time one of these countries over throw their rulers that have been tight with us. I hope they tell us to get out and never come back. We have no right to be telling people how to live and supporting deranged rulers.

Actually the power comes from being in a a postion to and yet?

showing restraint.

That is the whole point in this narrative.

Great article with brief timeline

How the US tracked couriers to elaborate bin Laden compound

"When we saw the compound, we were shocked by what we saw: an extraordinarily unique compound."

The plot of land was roughly eight times larger than the other homes in the area. It was built in 2005 on the outskirts of town, but now some other homes are nearby.

"Physical security is extraordinary: 12 to 18 foot walls, walled areas, restricted access by two security gates." The residents burn their trash, unlike their neighbors. There are no windows facing the road. One part of the compound has its own seven-foot privacy wall.

And unusual for a multi-million-dollar home: It has no telephone or Internet service.

"Our best information was that bin Laden was there with his youngest wife."

Actually the power comes from being in a a postion to and yet?

showing restraint.

That is the whole point in this narrative.
But by showing restraint and pardoning the thief did he serve justice?

BBM My parents knew that, they fought in the 2nd world war, my grandparents knew that, they fought in the 1st world war. My generation knew that, friends fought in Vietnam, my children knew that, as did we, we were all in NY on 9/11....sorry, can't agree with you, there isn't a generation of my family going back 100 years that hasn't known war on their soil.

But one thing that our children faced that no other generation has ever faced since back when we took over this country, is that they came on our soil and acted against us. Very different fighting here and fighting over there.

Well, as a mom of a son who has been on 5 deployments since 2001, all I can say is I cried. Sad tears for everything that has happened. Relief tears for "maybe it's over"?

Maybe I'm living in "mom-la-la-land", but I felt a bit of lightness in my chest that has been missing for a decade.

:hug: a big hug from not just a military wife but a military Mom too. I cried for the same reasons too. Bless your heart dear and may you sleep easier tonight.

Let's say we hadn't killed him. Let's say we put him on trial and got him sentenced to life. What do you think would happen then? You really think that Al Quaeda would thank us? No, it would let loose a round of terrorism that neither we nor any other country has ever seen before. And it wouldn't be just us, it would be any country that stood with us. And there would be attempt after attempt to rescue him. Then the complaints would start. Someone, somehow would find something to complain about. And he would still stand as a martyr for Al Quaeda. But instead of fear or respect for us, behind us they would be saying that we were too weak to fight, too weak to defend against our enemies. See we let bin laden live. Cause we were too afraid of Al Quaeda to kill him.

I think he should have been put to death.

I think this would have been an amazing time to back off on the American pride thing and just be quiet. Let the world see that we can have some respect and humility.

au contraire my friend!

The epitome of justice IS class and restraint.

Remember in Schindler's List this quote?

Oskar Schindler: Power is when we have every justification to kill, and we don't.
Amon Goeth: You think that's power?
Oskar Schindler: That's what the Emperor said. A man steals something, he's brought in before the Emperor, he throws himself down on the ground. He begs for his life, he knows he's going to die. And the Emperor... pardons him. This worthless man, he lets him go.
Amon Goeth: I think you are drunk.
Oskar Schindler: That's power, Amon. That is power
Aah, OS...not exactly a saint. Life isn't a movie, but I get your point.
Let's also not forget the celebration that went on in the streets leading to Ground Zero. People were coming from all over the world to help. Should we have also shown restraint lest the world look unkindly at us?

Actually, Thank you President BUSH!!!!!!

LOL RR. Obama had some issues with being seen by other leaders as strong. I think he got his street creds tonight eh? Thanks to both of them. Bush for getting the ball rolling and for Obama for having the fortitude and wherewithal to give the order. :)

:hug: a big hug from not just a military wife but a military Mom too. I cried for the same reasons too. Bless your heart dear and may you sleep easier tonight.

Oh thank you, Kat. I never thought I would feel this way. I wish the same for you.

But by showing restraint and pardoning the thief did he serve justice?

The point is not about a pardon. He deserved death. The point is about not crowing about it and making even more enemies that will in turn hate more Americans.

How hard is this concept really?

Can you imagine if the opening statements in Casey's trial were supposed to begin today? Or if the verdict was supposed to be read today? The news isn't stopping their Osama coverage for anything.

This is not a thread for Casey and personally I do not care about her right now at all. She does not belong in this thread.

I tell you I am shocked at the demonstrators, everyone one I have seen is so young. Very surprised and very proud. This has been their war.

:yes:

Parents should talk to their adult kids about how afraid they were that day in school. Granted, everyone was traumatized, adults and kids. but for the children - to have to grow up under the specter that any day .... any building they were in ... a plane could fall on it ...

scary stuff to grow up with.

Very touching. Patriotic college students at the White House saying they were 10 years old on 9/11 and then singing "America".

I haven't read the upthread, so please pardon me.

HE'S ALREADY BEEN BURIED AT SEA?

No autopsy
No DNA confirmation
No photos released *yes I want to see them*

Didn't this attack just happen, and yet he's already swimmin with the fishes? I don't like it, and I pray someone can explain it to me.

Thanks in advance.

Mel

ps: it's on the breaking news front page of CNN

I haven't read the upthread, so please pardon me.

HE'S ALREADY BEEN BURIED AT SEA?

No autopsy
No DNA confirmation
No photos released *yes I want to see them*

Didn't this attack just happen, and yet he's already swimmin with the fishes? I don't like it, and I pray someone can explain it to me.

Thanks in advance.

Mel

ps: it's on the breaking news front page of CNN

http://blogs.abcnews.com/thenote/20...y-headed-for-burial-at-sea-officials-say.html

I can't verify this, but it is my understanding that DNA was taken right away and he was been positively id'd. I'm sure photos were taken. Islamic tradition is that he be buired right away, and it has been decided to do so. One link says by the next prayer, and they pray 5 times a day.

It is possible he will be buried at sea so that there will be no place for Al Quaeda to determine a holy place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mamabee1221