GUILTY UT - Breezy Otteson, 17, & Riley Powell, 18, found deceased, Tooele, 30 Dec 2017 *Arrest*

Ex-girlfriend details how white supremacist bound and murdered teen Utah couple | Daily Mail Online

"Henderson said Braum led the group through snow and sagebrush. She recalled Otteson telling Braum she was pregnant and allergic to the sagebrush.

The teen asked if he could untie her hands, which were going numb.

'No,' Baum replied. 'We're almost there.'

Baum then stopped the group in front of the 1,800-foot open mine shaft.

'I realized even if we listened, it wasn't going to end well,' Henderson told the court.

Henderson said Baum then forced her and Otteson to their knees in an 'execution style' pose and made Powell stand in front of them.

Otteson began to whimper and cry and Powell asked Baum if he could kiss her. Baum refused.

Henderson thought Baum then began hitting the teen. It was only when she heard Powell cry out 'I'm dying!' that she realized Baum was actually stabbing the teen over and over again. "

"Henderson said Otteson continued to cry and promised Baum she wouldn't tell anyone about what she had witnessed.

Baum held Otteson in his arms and told her 'It's okay, darling', Henderson recalled.

Henderson then felt something warm on her leg and realized it was Otteson's blood - Baum had slit the young girl's throat, she said. "

This guy is a monster.

RSBM/BBM

Did they confirm this detail during the autopsy, I wonder? And would that fetus be added to the number of people this monster killed?
Jim_M, I haven't heard anything about her being pregnant at the time of the murder. Officials have not released any information like that. I've been following this case pretty closely. It happened 45 minutes from where I live. All I know is, it's a heart-wrenching case, people are angry (as they should be), and I hope that sub-human monster gets the death penalty. I usually don't feel strongly about a murderer getting the death penalty or not, but that guy... that vile and disgusting creature, doesn't need to be on this earth anymore.

Jim_M, I haven't heard anything about her being pregnant at the time of the murder. Officials have not released any information like that. I've been following this case pretty closely. It happened 45 minutes from where I live. All I know is, it's a heart-wrenching case, people are angry (as they should be), and I hope that sub-human monster gets the death penalty. I usually don't feel strongly about a murderer getting the death penalty or not, but that guy... that vile and disgusting creature, doesn't need to be on this earth anymore.

From that article I was responding to: (BBM)

"Henderson ... Snip ... recalled Otteson telling Braum she was pregnant and allergic to the sagebrush."

That was why I asked if this detail was confirmed in the autopsy. That, of course, would depend on the conditions.

Oh believe me, I have written similar words about monsters, and deserved death penalties. I agree completely with your opinions.

RSBM/BBM

Did they confirm this detail during the autopsy, I wonder? And would that fetus be added to the number of people this monster killed?

I don’t have the article to back it up (it’s somewhere in this thread) but I think I recall an article stating that breezy was NOT pregnant at the time of the autopsy.

I don’t have the article to back it up (it’s somewhere in this thread) but I think I recall an article stating that breezy was NOT pregnant at the time of the autopsy.

This case is new to me but I read through all of the pages to get up to speed a day or two ago. I read she was found to not be pregnant on autopsy too. It was not all that many pages back but unfortunately, I cannot tell you exactly where. Pretty sure it was MSM with a link.

My thought is that Breezy used the story of pregnancy as a desperate last-ditch ploy to stay alive, thinking JB might take pity on a fetus even though he was sparing no sympathy for a teenage couple. It's heartbreaking to think how terrorized she and Riley must have been in their last hours, all because they accepted an invitation from an acquaintance (Morgan) to party with her. Poor kids, to have ended up in a banal, all-American horror story.

I don't doubt JB terrorized Morgan too, keeping her in line throughout their twisted relationship through threats to her child. She likely knew what he was capable of, and walked on eggshells when he was around to avoid provoking his temper or jealousy. Too bad she wanted someone to hang out with that day, and made the terrible mistake of inviting in a teenage boy and his girlfriend.

It's for destructive, cold-blooded monsters as JB that I truly hope there is a hell.

The Justice Files: The waiting game

Last week, a Utah County judge granted a two-month delay to hear a motion in the murder trial of Jerrod Baum. He is facing murder charges for the deaths of Breylynne “Breezy” Otteson and Riley Powell.

In 2018, their bodies were found in an abandoned mine near Eureka. Baum could be facing the death penalty if he’s found guilty, but no trial date has been set. Instead the families of Otteson and Powell continue to watch from the sidelines as motion after motion is filed and keeping the case bogged down.

I was surprised to discover that no one archives ping data from cell phones that have no service. I'm still surprised there was no digital evidence of Riley and Henderson's interactions that night. Was this in invitation extended face to face, on a chance meeting with no security footage? Did Riley and Breezy not mention it to any of their friends?

I really do not understand Henderson not only failing to alert police until she was arrested herself and facing felony charges but living with this guy for weeks in the interim after witnessing two murders and nearly being murdered herself. If her accounting is true, a perfectly reasonable response would have been to kill him in his sleep or poison him. I expect her obstruction charge will be dropped once Baum is sentenced. I hope this experience teaches her some important life lessons.

Where do these guys even find out about these remote 1,800 foot deep mine shafts? Through prison networks? How many more human remains are down there, skeletonized and washed deeper?

I've followed this thread from the start but after reading an article a minute ago, it only just dawned on me who Morgan is. My avatar is an image of my favourite bands album, which was largely written about Morgan's husband's suicide, which was released just before these murders.

Wild...

Utah has proposed a new law that would abolish the death penalty. This has affected the families who are waiting for justice.
Lawmakers will make another run at abolishing Utah’s death penalty

Here is a newer article about Baum:
Case of slain Utah teens focuses on testimony from alleged killer's ex-girlfriend

Lawyers for Jerrod Baum, 44, are seeking to present evidence tied to the overdose death of Morgan Henderson's mother, the suicide of her former husband and a car crash that killed another person in her circle. Prosecutors reject that Henderson, Baum's former girlfriend, had a role in anyone's death.

If he's convicted, prosecutors have said they will seek the death penalty.

He killed innocents
The debt will be paid
Those who listen to souls
Hear the cries for justice, then peace
Jerrod Baum must decide his fate

White supremacist's tattoos could solve double murder case as investigators issue search warrant | Daily Mail Online

"There is a strong likelihood Mr Baum may have recorded the deaths of Riley Powell and Brelynne Otteson in the form of another tattoo"

I really hope he was dumb enough to do this. He needs to burn in hell for what he did to those kids.

I've only just come across this case and I'm genuinely shaking. I can't find the words to adequately describe just how evil this monster is.

I don't think I'll ever get out of my head the terror they must have felt. Sometimes I don't think I'm strong enough to read things like this. It becomes ever harder to have even a basic understanding of what humanity is capable of.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes
Back