GUILTY UT - Breezy Otteson, 17, & Riley Powell, 18, found deceased, Tooele, 30 Dec 2017 *Arrest*

I hate to even suggest this but seeing how close that reservoir is to where the jeep was located, I wonder if this was a suicide pact. I doubt it but it is a remote possibility.

I think the jeep would have been parked at the reservoir if that was the case. But that's crossed my mind as well.

That map is based on the former timeline, which indicated they went missing between Tooele and Eureka. The revised timeline has them confirmed in Eureka on Dec. 30. Unless it's changed again, which is possible. Frustrating, and it possibly led to a much larger search area.

There are good comments on the article. The simplest explanation is that they blew out the tires and decided to hike back to civilization and are either holed up somehwere or didn't make it out. I keep coming back to some basic rules of survival in that situation. Riley was said to be an outdoorsperson, and the Jeep was reportedly operational except for the two flat tires.

They were only 1/4 mile off the Cherry Creek Reservoir Rd. It's rural, but there would be occasional traffic on that road. Why wouldn't they wait to flag down someone? They could still start the jeep and use it for shelter if no one stopped or came by (unlikely). Did they flag someone down and then encounter foul play?

Was Riley somehow incapacitated? There's no medical condition that has been reported, and, again, the jeep wasn't smashed up or overturned. Did he feel like they needed to hike out for a scheduling reason (New Year's)? If they decided to hike out, why not hike north up reservoir road? They would have been found by now. (I'm referring mainly to Riley since his outdoor experience has been emphasized. I don't know how much experience Breezy has had.)

Why leave the windows down? Originally the vehicle was said to be an early 1990s Jeep, but it turns out to be a 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport. I don't know if there was a manual windows option. Was there an electrical problem so they coudn't raise the windows? I can see leaving the vehicle unlocked if you were hiking out, but I don't see leaving the windows down unless they couldn't be raised.

There's a video report that contains this image on the play screen, but the image doesn't appear in the video. Is it where the jeep was found? Does this mean they were stuck as well as having flat tires?

attachment.php

There's a collection of photos in the gallery here to give you an idea of the area:

http://kutv.com/news/local/jeep-of-missing-teens-from-tooele-county-found-kids-not-inside

I guess it could be questionable decisionmaking. They decided to hike cross-country, thinking it would save time, and are somewhere between the Jeep and Eureka. The second simplest is that they were turned around despite mountains in the area and hiked the wrong way. But it requires a series of strange decisions.

Now I've come across this report: http://fox13now.com/2018/01/12/miss...ted-car-adds-to-mystery-behind-what-happened/

The entire story has been that Riley likes to go four-wheeling in his truck. If he's been living in Eureka for a while, I would think he would have been in the general area. It's Breezy's aunt, so maybe she isn't as familiar with the Eureka area.

Puzzling.

[/FONT][/COLOR]

This is what got me. Did someone put out that info to mislead? Also, no more confirmation on the supposed "stranded walking" marked in the snow. And was there snow? We haven't had much at all this year. Now the info is there is no sign they were ever there, except for the jeep.

I think the jeep would have been parked at the reservoir if that was the case. But that's crossed my mind as well.

I thought of that as well, the jeep being parked at the reservoir instead of where it was. But here was my thinking, two possibilities: one, they were en route to the reservoir when maybe the tires went flat, Riley kept driving until they could get as close as they could and when the driving either became too rough or driving on flat tires became too problematic they simply stopped where they were. The second scenario I thought of is that they didn't want to be found so Riley parked the jeep where it was found, he flattened two tires to make it appear as if something happened to cause them to have to stop and they walked the rest of the way to reservoir.

Granted both of these scenarios are pretty out there and truthfully I'm not sure an 18yo kid could concoct a plan like that, I know I certainly couldn't have when I was 18 but when I was 18 I didn't have the internet to give me advice on how to disappear.

Tonight’s post from official FB page (BBM);

Update:

The search continues for Breezy and Riley.

Since the recovery of the Jeep we have not received any leads or have found any indication of the kids being lost in the Cherry Creek area.

We ask to continue sharing their story and spreading the word as they could be anywhere.

By continuing to share the page and their story it heightens the awareness for others and increases our chances of locating these teens.

We are still offering a $5,000 reward for information that leads to the location and recovery of the missing teens.

I thought of that as well, the jeep being parked at the reservoir instead of where it was. But here was my thinking, two possibilities: one, they were en route to the reservoir when maybe the tires went flat, Riley kept driving until they could get as close as they could and when the driving either became too rough or driving on flat tires became too problematic they simply stopped where they were. The second scenario I thought of is that they didn't want to be found so Riley parked the jeep where it was found, he flattened two tires to make it appear as if something happened to cause them to have to stop and they walked the rest of the way to reservoir.

Granted both of these scenarios are pretty out there and truthfully I'm not sure an 18yo kid could concoct a plan like that, I know I certainly couldn't have when I was 18 but when I was 18 I didn't have the internet to give me advice on how to disappear.

Unless they were stuck, which is possible, I think he’d just keep driving on the rims to get there. They’d also likely drive past the reservoir on the way to where their Jeep was found. But maybe they did want to go 4-wheeling one last time & got stuck.

Scenario number 2 I could see.

It comes back to me not seeing any triggering factors for a suicide pact. They were living together, not being kept apart. They likely didn’t have a ton of money, but they didn’t have many expenses. It wouldn’t be shocking if they were drug addicts, but Ive seen zero to support that theory. Everyone indicated they were content, no recent depressive episodes, not overly giddy. I know it can be hard to see it from the outside, but I just don’t get that vibe for suicide or murder-suicide (and I almost always get that vibe! Maybe my vibe is off!).

I’d still play the percentages and say they haven’t been found yet — it’s remote & rugged land — but LE is going to come under pressure to release info on the Jeep if they stick to their finding of no foul play.

I think it's likely to turn into a case like the kids found in Joshua Tree. Joseph Orbeso and Rachel Nguyen.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Oh no.
But if that's a possibility, then WHY??!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

According to a Juab County Sheriff's news release:

The circumstances surrounding the recovery of the vehicle, its condition and general placement of the vehicle is highly suspicious. These factors, in addition to other investigative leads, and pieces of evidence have led investigators to believe the Jeep was dropped off there by intention and not by the two missing individuals, and foul play is strongly suggested.

----

The timeline kept changing. Do they know who saw them last?

(Who is confirmed to have seen them last.)

-----

It's breaking my heart that this comes out now, 18 odd days after they've gone missing. There's not a lot of attention to this case. The FB is filled with psychic consultations and peers of the parents. They need to get Breezy's and Riley's friends engaged (and they probably are).

I know they said the writing in the snow and dirt wasn't Breezy and Riley, but the dirt message seems too coincidental to not be someone who knew about the case. Maybe an attempt at misdirection?

Sounds like they might have some video evidence, to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really don't feel good about this after looking at the 3 photos. It looks like they could have been traveling down cherry reservoir rd and got ambushed, then the jeep purposely put off road into the trees.
If the kids did leave the jeep where it was found they may have run out off fuel, and if electric, the windows wouldn't have been able to close.

Your spidey senses were tingling for good reason.

sad for these kids... from the first post, I thought this was not what it looked like...

I'll sit on my hands for now, but I do hope answers come soon for all those who loves these kids.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article...couple-missing-between-tooele-and-eureka.html

According to this article, the kids have older model cell phones that require wi-fi to make calls, the area in which disappeared has no wi-fi coverage. That doesn't seem right to me though, I've never heard of a cell phone requiring wi-fi to make calls, has anyone else ever heard of that?

It sounds like Riley had a trac-type phone where you pay by the minute and didn't have any minutes left on his plan. Breezy had a phone with no cell plan, but she could use apps over wifi.

I'm in a local 4x4 group that went out looking. (I didn't go, the old Bronco needs new tires in the spring/is DOA in the garage.) But I have been keeping up with the search some through that source. I noticed that the last post in that group mentioned that (and this is definitely hearsay) the Police said that only one set of tracks was found leaving the Jeep and they went back to the main dirt road and disappeared. So maybe someone drove it out to this location and left it, walked down the hill to a friends vehicle and then they left the area. I've driven a lot of the west desert of Utah and if you want to hide a vehicle this is out there in no mans land this time of year.

Also, could the windows being left open be an attempt to hide cleaner/bleach odors, and to just weather the vehicle hoping to destroy evidence? Seems so.

Very sad, hope these kids are alright.

Worse is that if they are the victims of foul play in the Eureka area there are dozens of mines with very deep main vertical shafts exceeding 1600+ feet.

Thanks to your group for searching, ghost story. It may have been your group that posted photos of a few of the mineshafts in the area. Some of the people who saw the Jeep's location thought that it was off even without the other info.

Gah! What a horrific thought, those kids murdered then dumped down a mineshaft never to be found.

dogs are not fool proof. We just saw in Blaze Bernstein's case - cadaver dogs were used and didn't find him, though he was right there. It happens. The dogs are a tool but are not foolproof.

That said, I am not sure they were in the Jeep at that location. Hoping for an update soon.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlackBalled
Back