UT - Cyle Van Komen, 24 & Kevin Nelson, 61, Shot & Killed, Ogden, 9 Dec 2016

margarita25

Reaction score
After a yearlong police investigation and no arrests, two Utah parents are left to wonder: Who killed our son?
Three masked intruders broke into Cyle Van Komen’s South Ogden home last December and fatally shot the 24-year-old and another man.
December 8, 2017

“It’s been one year since three masked intruders broke into Cyle Van Komen’s South Ogden home, held those inside at gunpoint, and ultimately fired their weapons, killing two people and wounding another.

But not a single arrest has been made since the Dec. 9, 2016, shootings.”

(Thank you @fred&edna for the alert about this case.)

The Justice Files: Double murder in South Ogden remains unsolved

“In December of 2016, Kevin Nelson and Cyle Vankomen were murdered inside a home in South Ogden and their killers have yet to be arrested. They were shot to death by intruders who appeared to have stalked the home at 3636 S. Ogden Avenue.

Surveillance video captured three suspects who appeared to have been stalking the home prior to the murders.“

Snip

““They had masks on,” said J.J. Vankomen. “They had what was described to us as paintball masks on which concealed their identity and he didn’t recognize the voices.”“

Last edited:
This is so sad! I didn’t know Cyle personally, but I worked for the same company as his mom. I am so heartbroken for her and the rest of his family.

Cyle reminds me of one of my own sons. I can't begin to imagine his mother's sorrow and pain.

From the news reports I've read it appears LE believes one of the victims was targeted, and robbery was part of the crime.

The podcast suggests the house where Cyle and others lived was a bit of a party house, but it certainly doesn't appear that this was some drug den... Far from it. Some drinking and maybe smoking weed... And possibly a bit loud on a couple of occasions. They got along with neighbors, so no trouble there. Seems fairly typical (imo).

I did notice there was a third man (roommate) who was critically wounded and survived. I don't think he recognized the voices of the killers.
And, I don't think his name has been released by LE for his own protection.

Some reports suggest there might have been another roommate who managed to escape.

It's so awful that everyone is just waiting, hoping someone will confess or provide some bit of info to identify the killers. Over two years have passed and still nothing. Frustrating and heartbreaking.

Welcome to South Ogden City

The Justice Files: Double murder in South Ogden remains unsolved

Has anyone watched the surveillance video and is convinced, as I am, that at least two of these assailants were FEMALE?? The cut of the jean, crouching position and body positioning of second assailant while speaking to the crouching assailant imo mimic female posturing.

Many sites keep referring to the perps as being male, and seeing that they were armed, had the advantage of a surprise attack, and there was no discussion of physical altercation between the assailants and those in the house it would make sense that the gender of the assailants would not automatically be male.

Just imo.

I’m not able to listen to the episode yet, so this is based on reading the copy. MOO as always.

Has anyone watched the surveillance video and is convinced, as I am, that at least two of these assailants were FEMALE?? The cut of the jean, crouching position and body positioning of second assailant while speaking to the crouching assailant imo mimic female posturing.

Many sites keep referring to the perps as being male, and seeing that they were armed, had the advantage of a surprise attack, and there was no discussion of physical altercation between the assailants and those in the house it would make sense that the gender of the assailants would not automatically be male.

Just imo.

Yes, the cut of the pants struck me as feminine. They almost look like leggings in the night vision. The first assailant holds the crouch for several minutes, which isn’t easy without some kind of practice repetitions (sports conditioning or something occupational?). However, the survivor was said to not recognize the voices and it seems like he would likely be able to distinguish male vs female voices (of course, we don’t know what was said and whether all three seen assailants also spoke).

The LE statements indicate this was a robbery and that the home and “people” there were targeted. I wonder if they ever identified what may have been stolen. Even if the shooters had a getaway vehicle nearby, whatever was taken had to be carried away, so nothing large. Of course, that could include cash or drugs, I suppose.

This all happened so quickly — 10-13 minutes — that it seems like the plan was to kill the person(s) in the home from the outset. The timing seems odd since the assailants appeared to be there prior to the two brothers leaving to buy hot pockets, but waited until they left. But this happened before 8:00 pm, so how would they know the hot pocket trip would happen? If they were going to wait until the house occupants went to bed, why would the assailants arrive so early?

Very mysterious indeed.

Just imo.
Yes, the first person to walk into frame seems to be male based on the broadness of the shoulders, lack of a defined bust, and the way the strap of his duffel bag lies across his chest. If this were a female person, the strap would have defined a bust line. I also don't see any reason why the person in question would be AFAB wearing a binder; they seem unrestricted in their movement. The other two definitely appear female.
I do want to add that a low crouch is not impossible to hold for several minutes, even without training- however, this crouch is probably from someone of non-Asian descent/ someone without close contact with people of Asian lineage. In many Asian cultures nowadays, it is commonplace to do a flat-footed squat when waiting/ during times when it is necessary to be stationary for a while. It's a super comfortable position, and I know tons of people (myself included) who have picked it up from friends. (Seriously, it's the best). It stretches the Achilles tendons and relies on balance. Notice how quickly the person stands up and does not appear to show signs of joint stiffness; that's probably not someone over the age of 30.
It might be the grainy footage, but the person in the back almost looks to be wearing a head scarf. Their "hair" doesn't move the way I would expect it to. I don't think the masks are paintball masks. The people's ears/ sides of their head are out in the open, and paintball masks wrap around. They're very full coverage, unless these masks are older and came out before my time.
Let me know what you think! I'd love to hear your takes on things.
Get me
-chaos ace

for sure looks like a female crouching.. just the stance and the way the suspect walks for sure strikes me as a more "feminine"
the pants look like they could be leggings or something like that, the persons calves also are very feminine looking from what i can get from the video..

Yes, the first person to walk into frame seems to be male based on the broadness of the shoulders, lack of a defined bust, and the way the strap of his duffel bag lies across his chest. If this were a female person, the strap would have defined a bust line. I also don't see any reason why the person in question would be AFAB wearing a binder; they seem unrestricted in their movement. The other two definitely appear female.
I do want to add that a low crouch is not impossible to hold for several minutes, even without training- however, this crouch is probably from someone of non-Asian descent/ someone without close contact with people of Asian lineage. In many Asian cultures nowadays, it is commonplace to do a flat-footed squat when waiting/ during times when it is necessary to be stationary for a while. It's a super comfortable position, and I know tons of people (myself included) who have picked it up from friends. (Seriously, it's the best). It stretches the Achilles tendons and relies on balance. Notice how quickly the person stands up and does not appear to show signs of joint stiffness; that's probably not someone over the age of 30.
It might be the grainy footage, but the person in the back almost looks to be wearing a head scarf. Their "hair" doesn't move the way I would expect it to. I don't think the masks are paintball masks. The people's ears/ sides of their head are out in the open, and paintball masks wrap around. They're very full coverage, unless these masks are older and came out before my time.
Let me know what you think! I'd love to hear your takes on things.
Get me
-chaos ace

100% right about paintball masks.. they cover your ears and most of the side of your head. even the most current models

On the first video, starting at 2:40, the 1st figure stands, walks a bit away, and then does something, bending over and then tossing something away with their left hand. I wonder if the area was searched for that object. They also do an additional movement with their left hand. The second figure seems to do something similar with their left hand. There is also a flash of lighter color in the left upper corner at 2:47. I cannot tell if it is a reflection of light on a window in a nearby house, or if it is the second figure in the background.

Also, is all the footage from the same house? Trying to map out where figures are standing in first video. Is that tree to the left or right of the house? Im creating a map, will post.

Also, is all the footage from the same house? Trying to map out where figures are standing in first video. Is that tree to the left or right of the house? Im creating a map, will post.

I don't know. I need to go back and watch the videos again (and compare with what I can see on google maps). I'm glad you're doing some mapping!

Per "Unfound"... "The first video clip shows three masked figures observing the house from a distance; near a tree in the backyard. They are seemingly unaware that a security camera had been set up by a neighbor, which was recording them from just feet away."

I hope this is ok. This is the surveillance footage from the crime. Posted by the Ogden Standard Examiner:

Fwiw, these suspects don't look like women to me. Esp the foot size.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shimona
Back