GUILTY UT - Deserae Turner, 14, shot in the head, Smithfield, 17 Feb 2017 *Arrests*

I'm quite flummoxed by this, honestly. I shouldn't be. But really?I have to wonder first and foremost not about these boys but about what on earth their parents have been doing for the last 14 years of these childrens lives that these kids have learned the way you solve the issue of someone annoying you with too many messages on an app is to kill them.

And no, I do not blame video games. That's lazy. It's parenting, 100%. If you raise your kids right it doesn't matter if they play video games (or read fantasy books/play DnD/listen to metal/rap or whatever boogeyman is the issue atm), they already know right from wrong and what consequences come from what actions.

It's why schools - at least where I live - are spending time teaching kids conflict resolution and relationship skills that kids should be learning at home, but aren't.

Wow I'm so glad to hear that! No major lasting brain damage? She was extremely lucky! How wonderful!

Go enjoy your horses Deserae!

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46111876&nid=148&title=teen-may-change-plea-in-deserae-turner-shooting-case

LOGAN — A pair of northern Utah teens charged as adults in the shooting of a 14-year-old girl are set to appear in court Tuesday morning.

Court documents suggest 16-year-old Colter Peterson could enter a guilty plea. He is one of two teens accused of plotting to shoot and kill 14-year-old Deserae Turner in February.

A 9-day jury trial is slated to begin in November, but court documents indicate a change of plea hearing is scheduled for Tuesday.

Peterson is being held in the Cache Valley Youth Center.

His co-defendant, 16-year-old Jyzon Decker, also is expected in court Tuesday for a hearing. His trial is scheduled for February.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/2017/10/10/boy-accused-of-shooting-deserae-turner-pleads-guilty/

A 17-year-old boy pleaded guilty Tuesday to shooting 14-year-old Deserae Turner in the back of the head in February, leaving the girl with lifelong injuries.
Colter Danny Peterson pleaded guilty in 1st District Court to first-degree felony aggravated attempted murder and a reduced second-degree felony count of robbery. A count of obstruction of justice was dismissed.

Peterson will be sentenced after a February trial for Peterson’s co-defendant, 16-year-old Jayzon Decker. A status hearing for Peterson is set for Jan. 29.

http://www.cachevalleydaily.com/news/local/article_8276a17e-e059-11e7-b009-03f265545143.html

The 17-year-old Smithfield teenager who has admitted to shooting Deserae Turner in the back of the head and leaving her to die in a dry canal bed, appeared in court Wednesday, waiting to be sentenced. Colter Peterson, one of the two boys charged with trying to kill the then 14-year-old girl, stood before a judge, a day after prosecutors gave the co-defendant, Jayzon Decker, one week left to accept a plea deal or go to trial.

Peterson appeared before 1st District Court Judge Kevin Allen for a status hearing. He never spoke, while attorneys for both sides met in the judge’s chambers for 20 minutes before returning to the courtroom.

Jayzon Decker given max prison sentence for attempting to kill Deserae Turner
February 7, 2018
SBM
The second teenager convicted of shooting Deserae Turner has been sentenced to at least 15-years in prison. Jayzon Decker showed no emotion Wednesday morning, as 1st District Court Judge Brian Cannell ordered him to serve the maximum sentence. [snip] Decker was ordered to serve 15-years-to-life for attempted aggravated murder, a first-degree felony, and one-to-15-years for obstructing justice, a second-degree felony. The sentences will run at the same time. Due to the defendant’s age, he will remain in a juvenile detention center until he turns 18, and is transferred to prison. [snip] Peterson was also given the maximum sentence of 15-years-to-life for attempted aggravated murder and one-to-15-years for robbery. His sentence will also run concurrently, meaning both boys will not be eligible for parole for at least 15-years.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northgrund
Back