Found Deceased UT - Dylan Rounds, 19, Lucin, Box Elder Co, May 2022 #2 *Arrest*

I don't know the intricacies of the law there, but I think if possible it would have been good to make this a death penalty case and use that as a negotiation tactic to reveal the location of the body.
During JB's last court appearance, the Prosecutor provided they were not seeking the DP for the Defendant but the defense still intended to request that JB be appointed dual counsel to represent him.
^^rsbm

State laws are pretty clear about the statutes imposing a deadline on the DA's office to announce whether or not the State will seek the death penalty whereas they can change their mind after announcing the affirmative, but not about the later.

Actually, I'm not ever seeing the Court or a jury imposing the DP for a no-body homicide.

IMO, the prosecutors know two things here -- the botched investigation (failing at direct & forensic evidence) beginning with the County Sheriff's office, and also the nature of the career criminal defendant who has nothing to lose. JB probably sees his living conditions as improved having wintered in federal custody versus squatting in Lucin, and has remained silent since his arrest -- and prior to arrest for that matter! JMO

OCT 1, 2023

DYLAN Rounds has been missing for almost 500 days, but his devastated mom is still searching for answers.

There's no body and the man accused of killing the 20-year-old on his farm in Lucin, Utah following his disappearance on May 28 last year has not been convicted.

James Brenner, 59, who was squatting on the property and has a violent criminal history, has been charged with aggravated murder and abuse or desecration of a human body along with other firearms charges.

He was arrested in June 2022 and remains the only suspect.

More at Dylan Rounds' mom blames cops for search delay and says suspect 'moved' his body

Actually, I'm not ever seeing the Court or a jury imposing the DP for a no-body homicide.

Just FYI, there is a current case in Florida where they are seeking the death penalty in a no body homicide. Incredibly rare.

IDAHO FALLS — A court hearing for the man accused of killing Dylan Rounds was postponed this week as the search for Rounds continues in the remote Utah desert.

Includes video

Oct 4

James Brenner, 59, is charged with aggravated murder and abuse or desecration of a human body along with some firearms charges. A hearing was scheduled Monday in Brigham City but was continued, leaving Rounds’ family frustrated.

“We understand our justice system is slow but we have had charges since March and have not even had an arraignment. That’s just unheard of,” Candice Cooley, Rounds’ mother, tells EastIdahoNews.com.

Brenner’s next court appearance is scheduled for Nov. 13 in Box Elder County, Utah.

Watch our interview with Candice Cooley in the video player above.

There's no body and the man accused of killing the 20-year-old on his farm in Lucin, Utah following his disappearance on May 28 last year has not been convicted.

Just FYI, there is a current case in Florida where they are seeking the death penalty in a no body homicide. Incredibly rare.
There is video on the victim's cellphone. I think a jury will conclude that Dylan is deceased, shot by the suspect, who is seen wearing a shirt that was smeared with Dylan's blood, while cleaning a gun.

The question of whether or not a person is actually deceased is brought up when there is no body recovered. It seems obvious that Dylan filmed the suspect after being shot and just before dying. Really incredibly rare to have that kind of evidence. Dylan nailed the SH.

10/4/23

“Here’s the problem that is presented in this case. Mr. Brenner is in federal custody and each time this court acts, it has to get permission from the federal government to bring Mr. Brenner in,” Utah First District Judge Brandon Maynard said during a June hearing.

Despite the delays, Rounds’ family has spent the summer searching for Dylan in Lucin with heavy equipment and K9 teams focused on the area where Brenner was staying before Rounds disappeared.

“That’s all we have to go off of. People ask us all the time what’s new with the search and we really kept everything we are doing private because of how much craziness there has been with people coming out. We’re out there and we’re looking but we are keeping it to our private groups right now,” Cooley explains.

Cooley also attended CrimeCon in Orlando, Florida last month and spoke on a panel with Gabby Petito’s parents and David Robinson, the father of a young man missing in Arizona. She was interviewed by multiple media outlets and visited with families who have missing loved ones.
“There are so many stories like Dylan’s that haven’t received any attention,” she told EastIdahoNews.com at the event. “There are some people fighting to get the word out and they get nothing. We want to bring the awareness and work with these people to get some help.”

Brenner’s next court appearance is scheduled for Nov. 13 in Box Elder County, Utah.

Candice Cooley, Petitos, David Robinson, Nate Eaton

Candice Cooley, second from right, spoke at CrimeCon in Orlando with the parents of other children who have disappeared, including Joseph and Tara Petito, Nichole and Jim Schmidt – Gabby Petito’s parents – and David Robinson, the father of Daniel Robinson. The panel was moderated by EastIdahoNews.com reporter Nate Eaton.

I always think of Willie Crain being sentenced to death even though his young victim was never found.

I always think of Willie Crain being sentenced to death even though his young victim was never found.

When discussing the Cozzi case, they actually mentioned Crain as being one of the few other times.

I think everyone is holding out hope DR will be found prior to trial.

There is video on the victim's cellphone. I think a jury will conclude that Dylan is deceased, shot by the suspect, who is seen wearing a shirt that was smeared with Dylan's blood, while cleaning a gun.

The question of whether or not a person is actually deceased is brought up when there is no body recovered. It seems obvious that Dylan filmed the suspect after being shot and just before dying. Really incredibly rare to have that kind of evidence. Dylan nailed the SH.

So Dylan's phone was discovered, and on it was a video he took of his murderer, taken while he lay dying. So incredibly sad. But props to Dylan for taking a video of his murderer. That video, plus Dylan's blood on the suspect's shirt, should be enough for a conviction, IMO.

So Dylan's phone was discovered, and on it was a video he took of his murderer, taken while he lay dying. So incredibly sad. But props to Dylan for taking a video of his murderer. That video, plus Dylan's blood on the suspect's shirt, should be enough for a conviction, IMO.
I could be wrong and either way, brilliant of him to record, but I think he had a hidden camera in place which uploaded images, likely sending alerts of activity to his phone. I think he thought the accused was stealing from him. Never dreaming (nightmaring?) it would capture evidence of his own murder.

I so wish we could take all the decent, hard-working, good people and let them live peacefully over here, and take all the lying, cheating, stealing, murdering dereliction and put them over there, where we can leave them be to lie, cheat, steal, murder each other.

Why, why, why can't they leave the good ones alone?

Dylan should be alive, readying his fields for planting.

The world needs Dylans. The world needed Dylan.

JMO

Human remains were found this morning in Box Elder County. No indication yet on who they may belong to. They are being sent to the ME for identification.

BOX ELDER COUNTY, Utah, March 30, 2024 (Gephardt Daily) — Human skeletal remains were found Saturday in a remote wetland area of the Bear River Migratory Bird Refuge, the Box Elder County Sheriff’s Office confirmed.

Human remains were found this morning in Box Elder County. No indication yet on who they may belong to. They are being sent to the ME for identification.

BOX ELDER COUNTY, Utah, March 30, 2024 (Gephardt Daily) — Human skeletal remains were found Saturday in a remote wetland area of the Bear River Migratory Bird Refuge, the Box Elder County Sheriff’s Office confirmed.

That's directly east of Lucin, the location of Dylan's farm, a distance of 160 miles to the Willard Bay area. Lucin to Willard Bay

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sassyfox
Back