• Weight: 155 - 165 lbs
  • Hair Color: Brown
  • Eye Color: Brown
  • Nickname/Alias: Emmett
  • Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown
  • Clothing & Personal Items: Unknown
  • Identifiers: Unknown
Circumstances of Disappearance:
Farnsworth was last seen by his sister in Price, Utah on July 4th, 1967. He left for Duchesne, Utah in Duchesne County where he had been living in a trailer. He has never been seen or heard from since and his whereabouts remain unknown. Few details are available regarding his disappearance.

Investigators:
  • Carbon County Sheriff's Office: 435-636-3251
    Reference Case#: 20220075
NamUs# MP87230

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Missing Person / NamUs #MP87230

There is a record at Emerson Lavor “Emmett” Farnsworth (1917-1964) - Find a Grave Memorial which seems to have a mistaken date of 1964. However, 1967 must be correct based on the date of the newspaper clipping in #2 above. The relevant information at this record is "Emmett disappeared under unusual circumstances (his partially eaten breakfast still on his table when he did not show up for an appointment) and his burned out car was found in Colorado, near Grand Junction." It does not sound good.

There is a record at Emerson Lavor “Emmett” Farnsworth (1917-1964) - Find a Grave Memorial which seems to have a mistaken date of 1964. However, 1967 must be correct based on the date of the newspaper clipping in #2 above. The relevant information at this record is "Emmett disappeared under unusual circumstances (his partially eaten breakfast still on his table when he did not show up for an appointment) and his burned out car was found in Colorado, near Grand Junction." It does not sound good.

Wow great info, thanks for that! Nice find.

Bizarre, because even in the picture of the cenotaph, the date is 1964? If 1967 is correct, and the car was found near Grand Junction, there was a John Doe found less than 2 months later on the exact route someone would have taken to get to Grand Junction.
1684222974100.png

Interesting. The timing and location certainly fit, and he was a homicide victim. I hesitate because I think the 1967 John Doe is thought to be a Native American man, Everett Laysbad. He wasn't ever officially identified though. I think the old newspaper articles say the body had a wallet on it too.

(EDIT: Yes, an empty wallet mentioned here: 1967 John Doe - Newspapers.com)

I think Emmett is probably the body that was found about 5 miles from Granby, CO but they couldn't find it again.

Interesting. The timing and location certainly fit, and he was a homicide victim. I hesitate because I think the 1967 John Doe is thought to be a Native American man, Everett Laysbad. He wasn't ever officially identified though. I think the old newspaper articles say the body had a wallet on it too.

(EDIT: Yes, an empty wallet mentioned here: 1967 John Doe - Newspapers.com)

I think Emmett is probably the body that was found about 5 miles from Granby, CO but they couldn't find it again.

In this link it says the medical examiner ultimately said it wasn't him. Dunno the source though.
https:///wiki/Grand_County_John_Doe_(1967)
Also records show he was living in SD in 1991. Sounds like some type of crime spree was going on at the time.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230517_055133_Edge.jpg
    Screenshot_20230517_055133_Edge.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 3
It's another article that states that the remains were determined not to be Everett Laysbad because the skull shape didn't appear Native American. Here's the link: 1967 John Doe - Newspapers.com

I find that assessment somewhat dubious though since it was the 1960's and this method isn't exactly foolproof. It sounds like he was ruled out based on skull shape and missing jewelry alone?

That same article also states the wallet found about 6 feet from the body had Everett's ID in it.
It's possible it made it there by some other means rather than belonging to the John Doe. Maybe that's what it was alluding to when the articles say Everett was known to authorities in Grand Junction?

I think it's definitely worth submitting as a match though based on timing and location. Nice find. I still wonder about that body they couldn't find again though. I wonder how far that was from where the car was found.

It's another article that states that the remains were determined not to be Everett Laysbad because the skull shape didn't appear Native American. Here's the link: 1967 John Doe - Newspapers.com

I find that assessment somewhat dubious though since it was the 1960's and this method isn't exactly foolproof. It sounds like he was ruled out based on skull shape and missing jewelry alone?

That same article also states the wallet found about 6 feet from the body had Everett's ID in it.
It's possible it made it there by some other means rather than belonging to the John Doe. Maybe that's what it was alluding to when the articles say Everett was known to authorities in Grand Junction?

I think it's definitely worth submitting as a match though based on timing and location. Nice find. I still wonder about that body they couldn't find again though. I wonder how far that was from where the car was found.
My theory is somewhat repulsive. A criminal is following people home in rural areas. Kills them. Takes their belongings/car. Dumps the body, dumps the car elsewhere, rinse and repeat. Nothing surprises me anymore lol.

My theory is somewhat repulsive. A criminal is following people home in rural areas. Kills them. Takes their belongings/car. Dumps the body, dumps the car elsewhere, rinse and repeat. Nothing surprises me anymore lol.
Its completely possible. Something similar took place in the 1980s in rural Utah. And there is a John Doe from that, too.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wildkey517
Back