GUILTY UT - Ethan Stacy, 4, Layton, 10 May 2010 - #8

She just looks cool as a cucumber. Even having a bit of fun. Doesn't bother her one bit what she did to her baby.

He just looks plain darn sick and evil.

She just looks cool as a cucumber. Even having a bit of fun. Doesn't bother her one bit what she did to her baby.

BBM

I actually almost can't believe how dark and evil he looks. He seems like one of those people that you would avoid, because he would give you an "eerie" feeling. It speaks volumes to the frame of mind of SS in my opinion that she would want to be his wife. :sick:

I completely agree with you...what's up with that smirk she has on??!!?? :furious:

I try not to read anything into facial expressions etc of people who are charged with crimes because I think our emotions influence what we see. In this case though, to me, even trying very hard to be objective, I see looking at pics of him, it's as if a mask has been lifted, and his 'badness' is now unveiled. No longer any need to hide behind pseudo-friendly smiles.

With her, she just looks so completely and utterly relaxed, it's eerie. Going to court for the death penalty, a death penalty lawyer decision, and she's just so calm and relaxed and then that grin. Totally unexpected to me that someone in that situation would look so casual.

On Friday, both Nathanael and Stephanie Sloop were hauled before a judge. Stephanie appeared calm. Her husband, Nathan, looked around the courtroom, mouthing "I love you" to his mother. Their court-appointed lawyers asked for more time to find them what are known as "Rule 8" qualified attorneys to handle the aggravated murder case.

"It's very difficult to find defense attorneys who are both capable and willing to take on these cases," said Daniel Medwed, a professor at the University of Utah's SJ Quinney College of Law.

The Utah State Legislature recently put a cap on how much money can be given to lawyers who represent death penalty defendants who cannot afford to hire an attorney of their own.

"Essentially they can't be reimbursed under Utah law for the full extent of their time and effort on these cases," Medwed told Fox 13. "So working on a death penalty case can consume your entire legal operation for a year or more, and Utah law caps your fees to a point where it's not financially possible for lawyers to take this on."

As a result, some of the most qualified lawyers in Utah have taken their names off the Rule 8 list. In court, the judge said the selection of qualified attorneys was being finalized for the Sloops. Attorneys asked for a one-week continuance. Medwed said the difficulty may be in balancing schedules.

"It's going to be very difficult to find an attorney who's willing to take on this case," he said. "There are many attorneys who are able to do so, not so many who are willing."

http://www.fox13now.com/news/ethans...-attorneys-for-couple-accused,0,2437701.story

Here's a case in Utah where no DP qualified attorney was willing to take the case.

Third District Court Judge Stephen Roth has decided to force an unwilling
attorney to take the case of death-row inmate Ralph Leroy Menzies after no
qualified lawyers wanted the job.

Roth issued his decision Wednesday to appoint attorney Richard P. Mauro to
represent Menzies.

"The court ultimately concludes that it has the authority to appoint
unwilling counsel to represent the petitioner here, but only if the
attorney appointed is justly compensated," Roth wrote.

Roth is expected to ask Mauro for evidence of past and future expenses. If
the amounts are reasonable, he will authorize payment by the Utah Division
of Finance.

If the division doesn't pay, Roth will hold a hearing to resolve the issue
- and may release Mauro if the pay is inadequate.

No lawyers stepped forward to take the case because, "Without exception,
the attorneys contacted indicated that, given what is at stake and the
amount of time and effort required to competently litigate any
post-conviction death penalty case, the amounts available under the
regulation are inadequate," to represent the client or compensate the
attorney, Roth wrote.

http://lists.washlaw.edu/pipermail/deathpenalty/2008-February/007624.html

I have a couple of questions about this whole attorney issue...

1 - Doesn't Casey Anthony have an attorney who doesn't reside in Florida? Is it possible that the state could seek outside to other states to find qualified attorneys who are licensed to practice in Utah?

2 - Why do they need 2 DP qualified attorneys? Can't they just have 1 with a public defender co-counsel?

I have a couple of questions about this whole attorney issue...

1 - Doesn't Casey Anthony have an attorney who doesn't reside in Florida? Is it possible that the state could seek outside to other states to find qualified attorneys who are licensed to practice in Utah?

2 - Why do they need 2 DP qualified attorneys? Can't they just have 1 with a public defender co-counsel?

- Casey originally retained Lyon (not a PD). Then Lyon agreed to work pro bono. Then Casey was granted indigency status and IIRC the judge considered using an in-state PD but found that because it's a DP case and Lyon already has devoted so much time/effort to the case that it would not be in Casey's best interests to switch to an in-state DP qualified attorney at this point.

I don't know if, when someone is indigent from the git-go, a state, or the state of Utah, will look outside the state. Certainly the Sloops are free to retain any attorney they wish who can practice in Utah and meet the DP requirements.

- Rule 8 lists all the requirements, e.g., at least one attorney must blah blah blah, so between the two attorneys, they have to meet the requirements. They don't each have to meet every requirement.

- From what I've been researching, it looks like if nobody will belly up to the bar so to speak, the judge will appoint unwilling attorneys.

The reason the attorneys are so unwilling is because of the monumental amount of time and work involved in a DP case, and the pittance they are paid for that work, and I certainly don't blame them. Particularly for a case like this where they have a snowball's chance in Hades of winning the case. Of course, some DP attorneys consider anything other than a death sentence to be a win. I don't know. Maybe some independently wealthy anti-DP zealot(s) will show up.

All of which goes back to my earlier posts about not understanding why Stephanie looked so darned relaxed and even a bit cheery. It's mind-blowing to me.

-
All of which goes back to my earlier posts about not understanding why Stephanie looked so darned relaxed and even a bit cheery. It's mind-blowing to me.
She seems to me to be clenching her jaw very tightly and trying to avoid tears, like she understands this is very very bad for her.

She seems to me to be clenching her jaw very tightly and trying to avoid tears, like she understands this is very very bad for her.

Really? Well, I could very well be letting my feelings about her and this case influence what I see. It looks to me like she's relaxed in this and her other pictures, and grinning in this one. I could well be completely wrong.

I see it the same way you do, BeanE...
Stephanie looks very relaxed, to me, and not very distressed at all.
Nathan, on the other hand.....

I'm pretty sure that you get that hollow round place below a high cheekbone by clenching teeth. Sure reminds me of when my mother was extremely angry.

far be it from me to comprehend how two so obviously guilty people can even consider going to trial and have the whole world know the details of the horrible things they have done even IF there was a snowball's chance in hell that they might walk....

why are they not sobbing to the state begging for life in prison and to spare their pathetic lives?

Not that I can actually place myself in their shoes in ANY WAY and this is a rare occurance for me to not be able to feel some sympathy. So I cant even say "if it were me the terrible shame would keep me on my knees begging the state to spare me so the details dont get out and prisoners kill me anyways even if I dont get the DP"

cause no matter how I look at this one the only person's shoes that fit me are ethan's and the rest of his family. NOT those murderers.

Yes, if the judge determines the current ones meet the Rule 8 requirements.

What I'm reading says 'at least one' must ...

I take that to mean the co-counsel doesn't have to meet those qualifications.

All this makes me nervous. They're going to be convicted, and DP is likely. What I'm afraid of is this will get reversed on appeal, especially if they appoint attorneys against their will.

All this makes me nervous. They're going to be convicted, and DP is likely. What I'm afraid of is this will get reversed on appeal, especially if they appoint attorneys against their will.

dont worry, the worst thing would be a retrial and that doesnt concern me one iota. if these two managed to change MY mind on the DP being warranted in certain cases, they will never EVER find a jury that wont convict these two. they could retry once a year for eternity and they would never walk.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PeepingKat
Back