UT UT - Garrett Bardsley, 12, Cuberant Lake, 20 Aug 2004

AUG 24, 2015
Would Your Child Know What to do if They Got Lost in the Mountains ? | Gephardt Daily
[...]

As a way of coping with not knowing what happened to his son, Garrett’s father Kevin started The Garrett Bardsley Foundation and helps with various search and rescue operations for other missing children. In an article written for americantowns.com, Tim Hawkins, the father of a missing 11-year-old boy Brennan Hawkins, who was found alive the next day, told Kevin he didn’t want him to have to relive the nightmare he went through trying to find his son and urged him to go home. Kevin’s response? “This is where I’m meant to be.”

Garrett Bardsley in 2004 (Photo Courtesy: Kevin Bardsley Facebook)

[...]

According to Pinemountaintrail.org, a safety list is a great tool for people going into the mountains with children. “Children can hike safely. Like adults, they just need a survival kit to put in with their day pack, a few rules and some instruction.”

[...]

The standard distress signal for children old enough to understand is three blows to indicate “I’m lost,” or “I need help.” For very young children, they should blow the whistle until someone finds them.

[...]

Last edited:
JAN 25, 2020
Summit County’s Search and Rescue volunteers sacrifice to find those who are lost or hurt in the wilderness
[...]

Siddoway said that, while in most every case, SAR is searching for a person the team members haven’t met, they come to know that person very well in their mind.

He said he often develops close relationships with family members of missing people.

[...]

“When you have to look at a family and say tomorrow at dark all of this equipment is going to go away — you feel it. You feel it. And they feel it too,” Siddoway said. “It’s a decision we do not take lightly. We’re going to go from 50 persons to three persons there in a couple weeks. … It is probably one of the toughest decisions that we have to make in a search-and-rescue situation, just because of all of the factors, the emotion that’s tied up in it. We become very vested in these calls.”

Those instances, though, are rare. Since 2003, the team has failed to find only three people: Garrett Bardsley, Melvin Heaps and Crumrine.

[...]

Todd, the longtime member and team leader, said the Bardsley search still haunts him. Bardsley was 12 when he disappeared while fishing with his father in the Uintas in 2004.

“Tough to leave the scene knowing there was no closure,” Todd said. “Melvin Heaps, Carl Crumrine — not too many days I don’t think about them.”

[...]

“In my office, in Kamas, there are binders now in the bookshelf there for Garrett Bardsley and for Melvin Heaps. And those binders will be there basically until I leave,” Siddoway said. “I can honestly tell you as I talk with SAR members — and Bardsley obviously being 15 years removed, some of our older members were personally involved in that — they’ll still come up in conversation. Melvin, two years ago, often comes up in conversation: ‘You know — have we considered this?’”

He added that he still hears from those in the search-and-rescue community who head up to the search area to train or to try out new pieces of rescue technology.

[...]

MAR 10, 2020
7 of Utah's most famous missing persons cases
[...]

Garrett Alexander Beardsley

While there’s no evidence of foul play, Garrett Alexander Beardsley seemed to vanish into thin air near the Cuberant Lake in the Uinta Mountains in August 2004. Beardsley, who was 12 at the time he went missing, was fishing with his father as part of a Boy Scout wilderness trip. Beardsley left his father at the lake, walking just 150 yards to their campsite to change his wet shoes. But no one ever saw Garrett Beardsley again.

That August night, temperatures were low and Beardsley was out without food or provisions. While authorities believe he died of exposure, extensive searches of the area turned up nothing. Though the family held a memorial service for him in 2004, they told the Deseret News they wouldn’t have closure until they found Garrett.

[...]

What a sad case! I can't believe it's been over 15 years since this happened.

I also believe he died of exposure, but not exposed. What I mean is that I think he sought refuge in a cave or thick brush, or even under a stone outcropping in order to hide from the elements, the dark, and/or animals. I don't think he'll be found in plain view. I feel like he'll be where any one of us in that situation would want to seek shelter from nature—which of course will make him harder to find.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitWiz
Back