UT - Gwyneth Paltrow sued over ski collision at Deer Valley Resort in 2016 - trial, March 2023 *GP Not Guilty*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crazy. I didn’t realize that it was possible to leave a courtroom for your own trial. There should be a mandate against that.
well, I'm sure it was framed as this lack of tolerance for criticism is a direct effect of his TBI and further evidence of why GP should just pony up already (sarcasm alert)

I missed the ex-girlfriend’s testimony!!! But it sounds like her testimony wasn’t substantive but may give some insight into the plaintiff’s character.

I’m thoroughly unimpressed with this plaintiff’s claims. It appears there was a collision but I’m not sure yet why GP is liable for his issues. I believe he’s having real issues and not malingering. But it seems possible he’s obsessed with this collision and looking to blame it for all his issues. Even if it exacerbated his problems, I’m not sure how he’s going to prove GP is civilly liable. I also agree with others that GP’s demeanor is indicative of someone who is highly irritated by all of this. I’m not a fan of hers but I can’t blame her for her demeanor if she believes this man is trying to take advantage of an innocent accident involving a celeb. In fact, she’s claiming he crashed into her! His only eyewitness yesterday did him no favors!

She agrees that her father is obsessed and consumed with this trial.

lil sis Jenny was cursed out by dad after the incident and alleged TBI screaming the F word in her face - this witness (name? witnessed that behavior)

She was not present and can't say that her father didn't plow into GP.

She did not advise him if her dad should or shouldn't file suit.

Jenny has reported at least 10 years of verbal abuse is that not true? She never witnessed it. Claims sister Jenny ahs a mental disability and implies she cannot be considered credible.

Judge instructs her to keep her answers to yes or no without clarification or additional information.

Yesterday the Jury heard through your dad's mental health providers that he was controlling, highly controlling of her long before the ski accident. Have you ever heard that from Jenny?

Jenny hadn't spoken to your dad for 13 years after leaving HS, is that true?

OBJECTION

Sidebar.

Last edited:
I agree that GP’s atty acting like objections shouldn’t be allowed is quite diva-like. This is a court of law, sir! You can’t just do whatever you want!

I found the daughter’s testimony grating. I don’t like her affect and it makes her seem insincere. Also, 1-3 examples do not make a drastic change. I’m not sure how close she was to her father if she doesn’t even know how amicable or acrimonious his second divorce was. I also don’t appreciate how she’s implied there are different truths. No ma’am, there is one truth! I don’t trust people who believe in this idea of multiple truths idea! Either your father was domineering and abusive to your sister and mother or he wasn’t. If you believe he wasn’t, then say it with your chest. What kind of mental disability does the younger sister have!? I wish GP’s atty had let that answer come out! Because otherwise it makes Jenny seem non-credible now. There’s so much bad lawyering going on here! Ugh.

JMO

I agree that GP’s atty acting like objections shouldn’t be allowed is quite diva-like. This is a court of law, sir! You can’t just do whatever you want!

I found the daughter’s testimony grating. I don’t like her affect and it makes her seem insincere. Also, 1-3 examples do not make a drastic change. I’m not sure how close she was to her father if she doesn’t even know how amicable or acrimonious his second divorce was. I also don’t appreciate how she’s implied there are different truths. No ma’am, there is one truth! I don’t trust people who believe in this idea of multiple truths idea! Either your father was domineering and abusive to your sister and mother or he wasn’t. If you believe he wasn’t, then say it with your chest. What kind of mental disability does the younger sister have!? I wish GP’s atty had let that answer come out! Because otherwise it makes Jenny seem non-credible now. There’s so much bad lawyering going on here! Ugh.

JMO
all of this

I don’t get how this case hasn’t been thrown out. I feel for him that he got hurt skiing—that’s why I don’t ski anymore. I’m not that good at it, and I’m an accident waiting to happen. But skiing is inherently dangerous, and you are accepting all kinds of risks when you go ski with a bunch of people with varying skill levels.
Even if GP did run into him from behind—that happens all the time! What if it had been an 8 year old little girl who smacked into him, and he ended up with the same injuries? Would he have sued her and taken her to court? I don’t think so. I really think it’s a money and attention grab. Gross.

The plaintiff is set to testify this afternoon! I can’t wait! They have certainly set it up so that whatever attitude he brings on the stand will be attributed to his head injury after the collision. I find it hard to believe this man did not have any of these personality issues before the collision. Although I do realize that head trauma drastically changes people’s personalities and can make them more aggressive/violent etc.

Her attorney actually asked if they could offer “treats” to the Balliffs….?

I wouldn’t have believed it if I didn’t hear it live. Ofcourse they objected to that. Sorry GP, hopefully they won’t be offering free Goop samples to them tomorrow….

yes, very interested to hear the plaintiff testify. curious to see if his demeanor matches my mental impression of him thus far based on what I've read and heard. I am also very curious if Jenny will testify. Or the ex wife. Can their depositions (which sound very damning) come into play? I mean they already have to some degree but I want to know more about the content of those deps.

yes, very interested to hear the plaintiff testify. curious to see if his demeanor matches my mental impression of him thus far based on what I've read and heard. I am also very curious if Jenny will testify. Or the ex wife. Can their depositions (which sound very damning) come into play? I mean they already have to some degree but I want to know more about the content of those deps.
Yea it sounds like Jenny’s depo will be played for jury. Her testimony is definitely coming in.

I also wonder if it’s strategic not to have the plaintiff at counsel table. They don’t want the jury to prejudge him until he takes the stand? Just like we’re judging GP’s demeanor. I have a feeling we will not be disappointed during cross of the plaintiff by Mr. Owens!!! Lol.

Edited to add: it sounds like Jenny’s depo will be read not played for the jury. She will not testify in court and plaintiff’s lawyer says she has mental health problems.

Last edited:
re probing plaintiff's credibility: must be sanctioned by judge outside presence of jury

Dr. G testified that the patient was not DE stimulating, creating or enhancing symptomology for gain. Also he testified that plaintiff had a good relationship with his daughters. I want to be careful and comply with the court's order.

100 facts that go to whether he is enhancing symptomology for his own gain. His daughter (Jenny) says he will lie for gain (not quite those words) that to become famous he will lie. I am putting it out there.

defense wants to ask witness on cross if that is the case.

Judge: What did she testify in direct that would justify bringing that in?

atty wants o ask the other daughter if that is a true statement from Jenny.

JUDGE: Fair game for defense to address these topics, you can say "are you aware that your sister said this or felt that way . . " so long as it doesn't tip the scale on 403 per the motion in limine.

(man this judge gives a lotttttt of leeway in this regard MOO)

plaintiff atty response

that's why we have rules of evidence and motions in limine to hash this out beforehand. You can't just attack someone's character based on someone who's not going to testify (the dep will come in) and who has incredible mental health problems.

To try to ask Collen about whether her sister's deposition testimony is or is not credible for someone who isn't even going to testify is not okay (paraphrasing)

goes to the codes/statutes for backup.

Defense is trying to attack Terry through Jenny's dep via Colleen. She was served with an illegal subpoena in Idaho She thought it came from us. She won't be testifying but they took her dep. It's not fair to this witness (Colleen) or my client.

huge argument about how to get Polly? are they saying Polly or Colleen? back to testify if defense wants her to if she was never subpoena'd

lort

What the heck is Mr. Owens’ problem? Does he not know how subpoenas work? I’m so unimpressed with these lawyers. Is this their first trial ever. The judge has the patience of Job! My God! I would be so short with all the lawyers by now!

After the Depp trial and now this, I am so unimpressed with civil litigators. Compared to criminal litigators they SUCK! JMO.

What the heck is Mr. Owens’ problem? Does he not know how subpoenas work? I’m so unimpressed with these lawyers. Is this their first trial ever. The judge has the patience of Job! My God! I would be so short with all the lawyers by now!

After the Depp trial and now this, I am so unimpressed with civil litigators. Compared to criminal litigators they SUCK! JMO.
agree about these attorneys. was most impressed with Depp's attorneys.

Dropped by to get updated, but the comments convinced me to turn on the trial. Agree, this is strange. The arguments about the witness subpoena and both attorneys talking like they didn't know if any were filed. Then neither defendant or plaintiff was present. Very different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77