UT - Kouri Richins, 33, Author, wife, mom, charged in husband’s unexpected death last year, May 2023 #3

But if the Judge begins copying and pasting from her Defense Motions on his Orders, then you know the prosecution is in trouble! (I'm not kidding-- happened on my last case). JMO

I would not go that far. "The Rest of the Story" is that it's not alarming to see a judge use the written arguments they prefer, to then be a foundation for their ruling. Many judges don't have time to do the research on legal precedent etc, so they expect each side to give them the legal ammo they need for that side of the argument, so they can rule as they feel suitable. Copy-and-paste is merely a shortcut to accomplish that.

But it is only a sure indicator of what the judge feels about that specific motion or ruling.

I've been trying to search here but Websleuths is so slow loading. Has her paramour identified himself? I am not asking anyone to dox him, but if HE has put himself out there, I'd like to know. Anybody heard?
The prosecution/Court has identified the party as 'Witness 8' which I don't think means he put himself out there. JMO

Prosecutors say Kouri Richins was contemplating divorce, but told a witness, "It would be better if Eric Richins was dead."

Juicy stuff on the affair (text exchanges) but lordy, I'm stuck on the debt load she was carrying. Weekly, daily repayments. How did she have TIME for anything else????And then -- on account, 198 overdraft and returned transaction fees -- I can't even. Hot mess doesn't begin to cover it.

JMO

So if the paramour is witness 8 , he’s testifying against her now?
ETA: No, wait, it states witness 8 is a “she”.

Clipped from article:

“A witness, not identified by name, told investigators that while she was at the Richins’ home talking about her own divorce, Kouri began to talk about wanting to end her relationship with Eric.”

“The Defendant told Witness 8 that she was frustrated because she didn’t feel that she had an easy path forward in divorcing Eric Richins. The Defendant said she was concerned that Eric Richins would turn her children against her and that his family would use their finances to take the children from her. The Defendant said she felt trapped and stuck in the marriage and didn’t see a way out. The Defendant said that in many ways it would be better if Eric Richins was dead.”

Juicy stuff on the affair (text exchanges) but lordy, I'm stuck on the debt load she was carrying. Weekly, daily repayments. How did she have TIME for anything else????And then -- on account, 198 overdraft and returned transaction fees -- I can't even. Hot mess doesn't begin to cover it.

JMO

How can one amass THAT MUCH debt from flipping houses?

Flipped houses sell like hot cakes out here and this was probably the same there at that time.

She had to have had like 10 going at once and due to the labor shortage, none were getting completed on time. I also know waiting for the building inspector each step adds a lot of time. But did I read it right, $398,000 a month????

She was in SO FAR over her head all she could think about was the only way out was to get his life insurance and assets.

I'm also guessing her lover was also wealthy.. but not wealthy or in love enough with her to give her that much money.

Last edited:

Flipped houses sell like hot cakes out here and this was probably the same there at that time.

She had to have had like 10 going at once and due to the labor shortage, none were getting completed on time. I also know waiting for the building inspector each step adds a lot of time. But did I read it right, $398,000 a month????

She was in SO FAR over her head all she could think about was the only way out was to get his life insurance and assets
Not surprised. There are many developers like KR who get involved with some real bottom feeder lenders (i.e., no loan docs) . In many ways, it's the equivalent of KR owing a crime boss bookie. JMO

So if the paramour is witness 8 , he’s testifying against her now?
ETA: No, wait, it states witness 8 is a “she”.

Clipped from article:

“A witness, not identified by name, told investigators that while she was at the Richins’ home talking about her own divorce, Kouri began to talk about wanting to end her relationship with Eric.”
I think Witness 8 is not the paramour. Witness 8 is a female who was at KR's house and to whom KR said she wanted to end her marriage.

This article refers to the paramour in the masculine. She exchanged telling texts with him too.

KR was $1.8 million in debt, per this article.

If the paramour had any money at all, IMO KR was already side-eyeing in and planning to capitalize with future life insurance policies. If she lands on the narcissism continuum like I think she does, she doesn't LOVE anyone. But she'll USE anyone.

She is a wrecking ball.

(Civil case)

But May 13, after she failed to show evidence she complied with the agreement, Justice Court Judge Brendan McCullagh found Kouri guilty of the assault.

The crime carries a punishment of up to six months in jail. No sentencing date has been set.

(Criminal case)

Separately, on May 15, Third District Court Judge Richard Mzriak could decide whether Kouri will stand trial on aggravated murder charges in connection with her husband’s March 2022 death from fentanyl poisoning. A hearing is set for 9 a.m. at the Silver Summit Justice Center.

Last edited:
I've been trying to search here but Websleuths is so slow loading. Has her paramour identified himself? I am not asking anyone to dox him, but if HE has put himself out there, I'd like to know. Anybody heard?
My understanding is that Kouri's "paramour" has not been named yet. I suspect his name will be released eventually. moo

She was in SO FAR over her head all she could think about was the only way out was to get his life insurance and assets.

I'm also guessing her lover was also wealthy.. but not wealthy or in love enough with her to give her that much money.

According to the article she was using hard money lenders. Probably by the time you add in all the fees we're talking interest rates that are somewhere in the neighborhood of 15% or so. Usually these would be short term loans, just long enough to flip and sell a property. A few months to a year.

So, I'm thinking her business was carrying around $5 million or so in loans on the properties.

I think you're probably right that she got in over her head and was stuck with mounting loans on a bunch of properties that she couldn't sell.

From an April hearing -- more on what the Prosecution intends to introduce at the prelim hearing as probable cause evidence.

5/14/24

Deputies found four white pills, a metal funnel, a cashier’s check and chemical testing equipment at the Richins’ Francis home, a recently unsealed warrant shows.

The revelations come days before Kouri is due in court for a hearing where Third District Court Judge Richard Mrazik will decide if there’s enough evidence for her to stand trial.

[..[

They returned with another warrant five months later after Eric’s family, which had control of the property, discovered a safe in the master bedroom closet.

The warrant also cites conversations between Kouri and her mother, Lisa Darden, as cause to search the house again. On Oct. 24, 2023, Darden allegedly asked why the defense team couldn't let her in the house, and “Kouri could tell me exactly where it is I’m looking for.”

Kouri is heard replying in agreement, the warrant states.

[..]

The warrant does not list the type of pills found, just that they were white. In separate court filings, prosecutors say some of the fentanyl pills Kouri allegedly purchased in February 2023 were light blue-green.

[..]

Two other newly public documents show investigators also seized two copper cups and two copper stirs the same week they searched the safe. Eric’s family had found them in a cupboard above the basement refrigerator.

Kouri told first responders the night her husband died she’d made him a Moscow Mule, a cocktail commonly served in copper.

Finally, I think we solved what happened to drink glasses but still don't know whether or not they tested for fentanyl.

Copper cups typically used for Moscow Mule were found by Eric's family. Not sure which arrant covered the safe but if it was the 2nd warrant, this warrant came five months after Eric's death.

Two other newly public documents show investigators also seized two copper cups and two copper stirs the same week they searched the safe. Eric’s family had found them in a cupboard above the basement refrigerator.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paladeer
Back