UT - Kylen Schulte, 24, & Crystal Beck, 38, newlywed couple found dead, Grand County, 18 Aug 2021

There are roughly the GPS coordinates for where they were camping.
38.507048, -109.341045

It is a location where many people camp so there are campsites all over this general area.
Forest Service road 4651 (which they camped off) supposedly has up to 5 campsites (1 to 5) total, according to boondocking guide. Most of the people will be camping in RVs in this kind of place. On the actual creek (most desirable part)....I'd say 2 sites max, going by satellite. There're some bigger trees by the creek, in that shadeless/brutal sun area, and this whould be the most desirable site in entire larger area, as there's some shade and the creek is there. Especially for anyone without RV. I haven't seen any actual photos of the campsite published. It's pretty easy to figure out where exactly they were camping based on satellite view. There's room for 2 campsites. If I picked the area to camp, I'd be expecting someone else might attempt to camp very close nearby, creeks act like magnets to people and so do trees in shadeless areas (so I would not pick that location, for this exact reason of someone else showing up/possible territorial conflict and lack of privacy as there's only little cleared space). It's also quite exposed to being seen from the road on one side.
During that time, clearly there were hardly any people in that area (except the wedding at the ranch), at least not camping on FR4651 or they'd hear the gunshots, screams.
It likely happening around Friday the 13th, midnight after, as their friend said...can't make the stuff up.

Last edited:
Unsealed search warrant reveals new information in Moab couple’s murder | Gephardt Daily

Sept 8, 2021

GRAND COUNTY, Utah, Sept. 8, 2021 (Gephardt Daily) — A newly unsealed search warrant filed by the Grand County Sheriff’s Office in the murder investigation of a Moab couple reveals more details about the crime scene.

The warrant was served on Aug. 19 after investigators were dispatched to a campsite used by victims Kylen Schulte, 24, and wife Crystal Tuner, 36, also known as Crystal Beck. The campsite was near La Sal Loop Road, south of Moab.

[..]

The women’s blue Kia Sorento, a camp tent, and a makeshift rabbit shelter were found at what appeared to be a long-term campsite. .

“Investigators were informed that Kylen had mentioned to her friends that if something happened to them, that they were murdered,” the warrant says. “Kylen had continued by saying there was a ‘creepy man’ around their camp and they had been intimidated by him.”

[..]

Gephardt Daily will have more information on the case as details are released.

Kylen-and-Crystal.jpg

From the search warrant, it appears that their campsite near La Sal Loop Road, south of Moab, was in the jurisdiction of the Grand County Sheriff.

FBI and the State are investigating this case as well. Their location was on federal National Forest land, off Forest Service road 4651. If you have criminal type of trouble happen on NFS land you call the county sheriff's office, this is the first agency involved. FBI only gets involved later if they think it's worth it. The state and the county sheriff still have jurisdiction over National Forest land's crimes, FBI does not remove their jurisdiction automatically.

In shadow of Utah national parks, police juggle high call volumes, high-profile cases

"The high-profile cases highlight the challenges that police in Utah’s destination towns face, working with understaffed departments as streams of passing tourists like Petito and Laundrie pour in and out at the same time authorities are tasked with serving a relatively small population of area residents and regulars like Schulte and Turner."

>snip<

"Taylor noted that the high cost of living also can force people into unstable housing situations, where they can’t lock up their belongings or have a truly private, safe space. She pointed to the deaths of Schulte and Turner, who were living in Moab-area campgrounds, as an example of what can happen when people are unhoused.

Isolation is one of the primary tools that an abuser can use to gain more power and control over their victim, Liz Sollis, spokesperson for the Utah Domestic Violence Coalition said. A campsite in the woods or a camper van can provide a setting that allows abusers to heavily isolate their partner."

I think their camp was on BLM land not Forest Service Land.

No, their camp was not on BLM land.
Are you familiar with interactive National Forest and BLM maps?
Maps | Bureau of Land Management
Forest Service Visitor Map

The coordinates of their camp are known and had been posted already, just like the road intersection they were at. There were right off National Forest Service road, on National Forest Service land. BLM land starts 1-2 miles from their camp - as crow flies - and not accessible by the same road, one would have to have quite a detour to get to BLM from where their camp was. There's a small parcel of private ranch-owned land at the end of that dead-end NFS road they were on. (but jurisdiction situation would still be the same even if they were on BLM land, I believe).
The difference would be probably seen in terms of who patrols the area and could have spotted that 2nd vehicle. NFS land would likely have more frequent ranger patrols on that NFS road, as it's been my impression that BLM is more chronically understaffed. Very often, county sheriff patrols not-so-remote parts of NFS roads as well, especially if they're paved.

Last edited:
Satellite imagery sought in effort to solve Utah double murder

“We’re looking at satellite imagery because I would think that if I was there and I know my blue car is going to be documented there, I might hop in my blue car and drive out of town, right?” their families’ investigator Jason Jensen told Fox News Tuesday. “So, may be instrumental.”

<snip>

"He said the families have gotten dozens of tips about the murders and he now has a list of about 17 potential suspects in the case."

Very odd that they never left any description of the "creepy man" or his vehicle, nor his plate numbers, while they were saying to a friend that they're outright afraid to get killed by their camping neighbor.
As was published a while ago:
Details released in deaths of newlywed couple at campsite
“Investigators were informed that Kylen had mentioned to her friends that if something happened to them, that they were murdered. Kylen had continued by saying there was a “creepy man” around their camp and they had been intimidated by him,” the search warrant states.

It seems there was a slowly escalating conflict around that campsite. To me seems very likely the creep showed up to enjoy camping by the creek with some shade trees by it, which might have been his favorite spot, and got riled up finding he has to share the space and with lesbians hated by him. If he arrived and found some guys, or a traditional family with kids - he most likely would have just left and looked for another spot, as he would be too afraid to enter a confrontation. If he found, say, an older conventional-looking lady - he probably would have setup nearby hoping she'd be uncomfortable and leave the spot for him to have to himself - but he likely wouldn't try to openly escalate the conflict, being afraid of cops /rangers being called on him.

I have to say that seeing alternative looking/dreadlocked women might have made him believe they'd be less likely to call LE on him, as deadlocked people are often perceived as being involved with drugs. As he saw female gay couple, it had probably fueled his rage much beyond just being territorial, and he setup right next and started escalating, harassing them. Until he finally completely lost it over something - may be they decided to push back or him getting very drunk that day. It seems like they didn't believe he was really capable of anything and was all talk, until the last moment - as not only they haven't relocated or shared his description, they actually went to town leaving stuff like the tent unattended (while he could have slashed their tent or steal their stuff).

It's not unheard of for people to go into rage over camping spaces. Just last year, there a local in Wyoming became enraged finding a group of out-of-staters in his favorite campsite (and that was inside a free Tin Cup campground) - he was drunk and proceeded to yell at them, then, as things had escalated, had threatened them with a gun - and got shot dead. One of the camping group was a police chief from Idaho and he shot the guy in self-defense. Even though there was a bunch of up to 18 "tough" guys who rode ATVs all the way from Idaho in that campsite - that one guy became enraged enough at out-fo-staters taking "his" space to try to run all of them off. One trigger point was hate at out-of-state people whom he called "Californians" (even though they were from ID), in this case. Some people can get very territorial over what they consider their favorite spaces on public lands.

Last edited:
What surprises me is that if he creeped them out enough that they even mentioned they might be murdered by him, why oh why didn't these two sweet girls change camp sights? They are very, very well known in Moab. This case has had an effect on everyone in town. I hope that they find the perp soon!!

No, their camp was not on BLM land.
Are you familiar with interactive National Forest and BLM maps?
Maps | Bureau of Land Management
Forest Service Visitor Map

The coordinates of their camp are known and had been posted already, just like the road intersection they were at. There were right off National Forest Service road, on National Forest Service land. BLM land starts 1-2 miles from their camp - as crow flies - and not accessible by the same road, one would have to have quite a detour to get to BLM from where their camp was. There's a small parcel of private ranch-owned land at the end of that dead-end NFS road they were on. (but jurisdiction situation would still be the same even if they were on BLM land, I believe).
The difference would be probably seen in terms of who patrols the area and could have spotted that 2nd vehicle. NFS land would likely have more frequent ranger patrols on that NFS road, as it's been my impression that BLM is more chronically understaffed. Very often, county sheriff patrols not-so-remote parts of NFS roads as well, especially if they're paved.
The map i looked at must have been wrong then, my bad. The one i saw of their campsite was on BLM land.

Seems odd that there are no images of this creepy person or their car, or anything in the background that might give LE a place to start...

Cellphone images or a description in a text to a friend...
That does seem super surprising. If they were concerned enough that he’d murder them, why not take his picture and send it to everyone they knew? Or even mention what he was driving?

Sadly, they may have been planning to pack up and leave the next day...and then they were killed.

I obviously can't say for sure what they were thinking/feeling, but I will say, I understand the situation of not wanting to blow something out of proportion or "overreact" to a situation, especially if you are really enjoying a lovely campsite and hoping you don't have to leave. So maybe the first day, they found this guy a bit odd, weird, whatever. You may have a laugh about it with friends like "This guy is kind of a creeper haha" which sounds like how they mentioned it the first day. You don't really think he is harmful at the time, just....weird.

Then, maybe he says or does something the next day that escalates this. It sounds like he showed up with food and clothing and appeared to set up camp for awhile. Maybe you have an interaction with him even. So you start to find him less odd and weird and more of a threat. So you send that text to a friend about wanting to move camp and "if I die, I was murdered by this guy." That last part was maybe tongue-in-cheek and you are mostly kidding about it, perhaps, but still freaked out. You don't want to have to give up this campsite but you are seriously considering packing up and getting out of dodge in the morning. Maybe it's late and you just plan to sleep and then leave. But then....it's too late.

All supposition, of course, but I could see how this happened to them, quickly and before they realized the seriousness of the situation.

Sadly, they may have been planning to pack up and leave the next day...and then they were killed.

I obviously can't say for sure what they were thinking/feeling, but I will say, I understand the situation of not wanting to blow something out of proportion or "overreact" to a situation, especially if you are really enjoying a lovely campsite and hoping you don't have to leave. So maybe the first day, they found this guy a bit odd, weird, whatever. You may have a laugh about it with friends like "This guy is kind of a creeper haha" which sounds like how they mentioned it the first day. You don't really think he is harmful at the time, just....weird.

Then, maybe he says or does something the next day that escalates this. It sounds like he showed up with food and clothing and appeared to set up camp for awhile. Maybe you have an interaction with him even. So you start to find him less odd and weird and more of a threat. So you send that text to a friend about wanting to move camp and "if I die, I was murdered by this guy." That last part was maybe tongue-in-cheek and you are mostly kidding about it, perhaps, but still freaked out. You don't want to have to give up this campsite but you are seriously considering packing up and getting out of dodge in the morning. Maybe it's late and you just plan to sleep and then leave. But then....it's too late.

All supposition, of course, but I could see how this happened to them, quickly and before they realized the seriousness of the situation.
I totally agree. Hindsight is always 20/20.
I feel very sad for this beautiful couple.

I am 90% sure that they had mentioned to their friends that they were in the process of packing up and moving campsites after the creeper had started to bother them. I need to find sources, but I am pretty sure of that. I really do not think they would just shrug their shoulders and think, "Oh, this creepy guy is intimidating/possibly threatening and harassing us, guess we're just gonna wait here like sitting ducks." By all accounts these ladies were smart and knew how to protect themselves. Imo, it is very possible that they were killed while in the process of packing up and trying to move campsites. I would be curious to know what exact state their possessions were in when they were found. I know their pet bunny was found outside, unharmed in its hutch, so I don't think they had fully packed to move (really doubt they would leave their bunny behind), but I wonder what was in their van, if it was disheveled or appeared hurriedly-gathered, etc. Imo, it is very possible that they counted on not seeing the creeper after switching campsites, which is why they didn't provide any description of him. I would be not be surprised if they were ambushed while packing.

With regards to not taking pics of the creeper, as I said above, it is possible that they figured they could get out of his line of sight if they moved campsites. Also possible that they had bad phones with unreliable cameras (I have a bad phone that only takes pictures maybe 30% of the time I try). But I feel they thought they could "outrun" him so they thought they could avoid him.

I know they were not at a registered campsite and possibly isolated but I wonder if there are any witnesses who saw a man harassing, stalking, etc. a couple matching Kylen and Crystal's description. Imo, the creeper was probably making a big scene and if others were around, drawing attention. It does not sound like he was being "subtle". Imo, there was no doubt in the women's minds as time went on that he was directly threatening and harassing them.

I am divided if their killer was mad that one, or both, of the ladies were not interested in him, and turned sexually violent and murderous, OR if he was just plain furious at them for a number of other reasons. Like others have said, some people get irate when they think others (like Californians, as mentioned - believe me, I'm a Californian by birth in Washington state, I'd know lol) - are "intruding" on their "territory". I can imagine him thinking lesbians are "intruding" on "his" "territory".

Like others have said, some people get irate when they think others (like Californians, as mentioned - believe me, I'm a Californian by birth in Washington state, I'd know lol) - are "intruding" on their "territory". I can imagine him thinking lesbians are "intruding" on "his" "territory".
^^rsbm

I'm recalling from the search warrant issued after the couple murdered that they had already moved their van near McDonald's where one of the women worked. I'm wondering if the murderer had a "double hate" reason to execute the couple if he believed that they also sold weed which is illegal even for medical use in Wyoming. There's no evidence of this that I'm aware of and just speculating possible reasons for harm (scale and paraphernalia identified in the warrant inventory). MOO

^^rsbm

I'm recalling from the search warrant issued after the couple murdered that they had already moved their van near McDonald's where one of the women worked. I'm wondering if the murderer had a "double hate" reason to execute the couple if he believed that they also sold weed which is illegal even for medical use in Wyoming. There's no evidence of this that I'm aware of and just speculating possible reasons for harm (scale and paraphernalia identified in the warrant inventory). MOO

Interesting point. I did not know they had a scale recovered from their belongings. I tend to forget that weed isn't legal everywhere. Where I live people just buy it in dispensaries wedged between grocery stores and nail salons lol. It is possible imo that, as you said, he freaked out about weed and thought he was "taking the law into his own hands" by murdering these two innocent women for literally no reason. Like some sort of twisted "vigilante hero" BS.

Unless it's proven otherwise I will and always have strongly suspected that, even if if wouldn't be classified as a hate crime, he killed them at least in part because they were two women. So I see that as an undercurrent in all my theories about what may have happened.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back