UT - Kylen Schulte, 24, & Crystal Beck, 38, newlywed couple found dead, Grand County, 18 Aug 2021

From this link, the father is quite clear that this was a sexual assault and murder. So that's a bit of information that we didn't have before though we may have strongly suspected..

That is terrible for the parents. I can understand the frustration.

On another issue, I heard that over 5,000 rape kits in Texas, have never been touched...all of that potential DNA...I wonder what the backlog is in Utah on testing rape kits in Utah.

Added link. No backlog!

Sexual Assault Kit Processing Time Cut In Half Since Backlog Cleared

Five days from the time they were seen alive until their bodies were found, outdoor crime scene, and possibly in a creek - that's not boding particularly well for pristine DNA recovery though investigators still may have plenty to work with.

If they've been able to recover DNA but it's only partial, this process is probably going to take some time. There could be some partial matches out there in databases but detective work is going to need to be conducted to conclude if it's a real lead or statistical coincidence.

IMO.

This is so frustrating. Because the Petito case got so much media coverage, there was a lot of crowd-sourced evidence available for WS to work on. Here, there's just so much silence. I'd like to see a description of their vehicles broadcast, inviting people who may have seen them and don't even know about the murder to come forward.

Sorry if this is a silly question but as an Aussie I’m not familiar - how long does it typically take for them to process the forensics you’ve mentioned?
I don't know. I hope the police is following up on this.

I really feel so bad about the father who is putting in so much effort to find get clues: Fox News update

I really hope justice is served.

Sorry if this is a silly question but as an Aussie I’m not familiar - how long does it typically take for them to process the forensics you’ve mentioned?

Sorry, I didn't see your question earlier.

It seems like most of the cases I've followed, it's 2-4 weeks for basic stuff like fingerprints, 4-6 weeks for things like DNA, 6 weeks or more for toxicology. Things like cell phone data tend to take longer, sometimes months, because the providers aren't necessarily fast about answering, and then going through the raw data to make sense of it takes several weeks more.

And it varies a lot depending on what lab is used, how busy it is, whether they have to send some items out for specialized processing, and so forth.

If they have, for instance, a partial DNA sample from a sexual assault (I'm not saying they do, just giving an example), that might be sent to a specialized DNA analysis that can take more time.

So basically, anywhere from a couple of weeks to who knows :p

I just got off a YouTube livestream that was speaking with the father (idk which one he’s the father of). He’s understandably frustrated. According to him, next to nothing is being done to find the killer(s). I hope he’ll reach out to a PI who might even take the case pro bono.:(

Can I post an interview with Kylen's dad?
I just got off a YouTube livestream that was speaking with the father (idk which one he’s the father of). He’s understandably frustrated. According to him, next to nothing is being done to find the killer(s). I hope he’ll reach out to a PI who might even take the case pro bono.:(

Yes, it's a really great interview, with lots of details. I've been watching for a mod to be online to pm if it's ok to post.

Yes, it's a really great interview, with lots of details. I've been watching for a mod to be online to pm if it's ok to post.

Although this particular podcaster has been unapproved in the past (for reasons which I can't recall right now), we are allowing this specific audio podcast because we are satisfied it is with Kylen Schulte's father, Jean Paul.

Note: If there are further podcasts of this nature, please get pre-approval before posting. (In the meantime, because things can change over time, we will revisit whether to eventually give blanket approval for iCkEdMeL podcasts.)

Last edited:
Manti-La Sal National Forest - La Sal Mountain Loop State Scenic Backway

This area is federal land, and since the deaths may be a possible "hate crime", I think that the parents may want to pursue this as a federal jurisdiction, as all crimes on federal land are under the jurisdiction of the FBI.

Not sure on the exact location of the crime, but with the possible hate crime issue, that may be something to follow up on.

I had a strong feeling that it was, unfortunately, sexual assault when the ladies were found nude from the waist-down. The bathing theory didn't make any sense to me.

I feel so much empathy for their families - especially Kylen's father, since he is working so hard to get justice for Kylen and Crystal and has been doing his best to make his voice heard. His pain is so palpable and real in his words, his emotions are so strong. You can tell how genuine and in true pain he is while navigating the loss of his daughter and daughter-in-law and the love he had for them is so clear. I can only imagine how much frustration he is going through, too, having very little media attention and voicing how he feels little is being done to get justice for Kylen and Crystal. The grief in his words...

I am so, so hopeful they have DNA evidence.

This is so frustrating. Because the Petito case got so much media coverage, there was a lot of crowd-sourced evidence available for WS to work on. Here, there's just so much silence. I'd like to see a description of their vehicles broadcast, inviting people who may have seen them and don't even know about the murder to come forward.

You said it. These women aren't getting the same media attention and although I think we can all speculate as to why, I don't know...all we can do at this point, imo, is get the word out, spread information about Kylen and Crystal, and stand in support with their families and friends in their fight for justice.

I agree. I too have been following the petito situation and I have noticed now much the power of social media has had in helping investigators. When I heard the dad's interview today, I was shocked at how little help he was receiving in regards to their case. It was heartbreaking. I really hope that this and other cases start getting the same attention. I feel this is solvable. I do have a question, do you know if they were robbed?

Sincere condolences to the families of Kylen and Crystal.

Their case deserves a huge amount of resources. They deserve justice, and the man (I assume a single suspect) who did this is still out there. Who knows if he's had previous victims or if he'll strike again - he must be caught.
I really hope and trust LE is actually doing everything possible. JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes
Back