UT - Kylen Schulte, 24, & Crystal Beck, 38, newlywed couple found dead, Grand County, 18 Aug 2021

I was under the impression that the warrant said "Hornady" silver casings were found at the campsite.
Around here, in Southern Illinois, I don't hear of people shooting at campgrounds, granted the ones here are like being in a town or settlement of campers and tents, and one could get shot by a stray.

I was under the impression that the warrant said "Hornady" silver casings were found at the campsite.
Around here, in Southern Illinois, I don't hear of people shooting at campgrounds, granted the ones here are like being in a town or settlement of campers and tents, and one could get shot by a stray.

They weren’t in a campground. They were on national forest land doing dispersement camping. Shooting is legal and very common on forest land.

Unless Utah has tightened its gun laws since the last time I was there, it would have been trivial to buy a weapon. One place we stopped had a bulletin board for local goods and services, and there was a separate section for "Guns for Sale," with quite a few cards posted. This was farther north, in the Vernal area, but I don't imagine any other rural part of Utah and Wyoming is that much different.

Creepy is in the eye of the beholder...

Though I agree, some some people are harder to creep out than others and unlikely to become un nerved over less than ideal situations.

I once had a financially successful friend. He drank, so alcohol did not phase him. He had smoked marijuana recreationally in the past, so he was tolerant of it. He had been poor once, and had friends of all income levels.

He told me about being creeped out by poor, small town drug users asking for cigarettes and beer while camping with his family in a state forest. He thought he was being "cased' for anything from pilfering to drug addled robbery / homicide.

Likewise, a co worker of mine dates guys of all races, incomes and education levels. She also travels alone. Once, she told that Virgin Island locals in a non tourist club creeped her out with "rape vibes" from minute one. She then left fast.

Neither of those two people scared easily and neither one had led a cloistered existence where being approached by somebody of a lower income, intoxicated, stoned, "off" in some ways, or of a different race etc. was cause for alarm.

I think it was the same for the victims. Recreational drug use, alcohol, poverty, unfamiliar cultures, plain weirdos etc. were not going to phase them. Neither were stares, cold shoulders, nor "Can I watch?" type inquiries. Rather, I suspect they, along with my two friends, got creeped out only when they felt real danger- not just being mildly uncomfortable.

Last edited:
I looked pretty hard for this info about Hornady brand ammo and all I could find was a tweet discussing it in attribution to the private investigator's Facebook which I'm unsure would even be an approved source if I could find that claim, which I could not - and I went back through his posts all the way to the time of the murders. Do you have any source on that? Because it would be great to nail it down.

The statement by the dad was “It’s a silver-colored 9mm bullet, it’s a very specific ammo.” There's nothing specific about a steel cased 9mm round but Hornady does make a polished steel jacketed 9mm round, a premium round that one would probably not shoot recreationally but might have been stolen along with guns kept for defense or show - so finding a jacket from premium ammo at a campsite would be more unusual.

For those of us not on Facebook, could someone post the information?

The press release listed on their website is from August.

I’m still inclined to think this was drug related, no signs of sexual assault keeps me thinking it was related to drugs.

The Grand County Sheriff’s Office says they have several persons of interest in the Moab double murder of Kylen Schulte and Crystal Turner. However, they say online speculation is hindering their investigation. And they’re asking the people of Moab to be more careful about what they post on social media.

While there may be persons of interest, officials from the Grand County Sheriff’s Office say they haven’t narrowed their focus to one specific suspect. They posted a statement to their Facebook page saying they’re still getting help from the FBI to analyze forensic evidence, videos and behavior analysis.

The statement reads, “GCSO continues to examine and analyze evidence by utilizing third-party and FBI crime labs.”
Police now have persons of interest in Moab double murder case

Sorry, I'm a big ignorant on the case, but has it been determined that the missing Turkish 9mm is tied to the murder? If so, it seems it's not likely to be a drug killing as those guys tend be prepared to kill with their own weapons.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg
Back