Found Deceased UT - MacKenzie "Kenzie" Lueck, 23, Salt Lake City, 17 June 2019 #19 *ARREST*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I also didn't realize ML had only been in this lifestyle for a month. As the other girl said, way too naive. So sad.
Yeah, actually, that was news to me as well.

I thought it was much longer than that, so it caught me by surprise.

ETA: She joined on May 21, 2019, and was last active on June 16.

She disappeared on the 17th.

Last edited:
I dunno. We’re responsible for our own safety, and I think it’s important to learn what we can from these cases.

That “sugar baby” who was interviewed, pointed out that many of these women don’t realize what they are getting into, and the risks they may be taking.

I’m with you on the sensationalized way this sort of thing is exploited though.

It’s a weird situation, because no one deserves to be a victim, nor is any victim responsible for the actions of a monster.

But we can do things to minimize risk, and I think that should be the message here.

As much as minimizing the risk should be the message - I struggle with the naivety of today's young women, and don't think they truly understand there is risk to minimize.

When it comes to safety, I honestly believe we may be regressing --which I attribute directly to overuse of technology and social media.

We're living during a time where youth and young adults especially share way too much about themselves and their lives with complete strangers.

I'm sorry but nobody has 800 friends that should know your deepest and darkest secrets.

And they are not your friends!

I've no doubt that ML was honest in drafting her SA profile, and AA, a predator, knew exactly how to appeal to her.

ML had no known safety plan when she traveled to Hatch Park at 3 AM.

And it pains me that she felt it would be safe, and that he was safe.

According to SA, there are currently 5 sugar babies for every sugar daddy in Salt Lake City.

You can't be safe without a safety plan. Hope they are listening.

MOO

As much as minimizing the risk should be the message - I struggle with the naivety of today's young women, and don't think they truly understand there is risk to minimize.

When it comes to safety, I honestly believe we may be regressing --which I attribute directly to overuse of technology and social media.

We're living during a time where youth and young adults especially share way too much about themselves and their lives with complete strangers.

I'm sorry but nobody has 800 friends that should know your deepest and darkest secrets.

And they are not your friends!

I've no doubt that ML was honest in drafting her SA profile, and AA, a predator, knew exactly how to appeal to her.

ML had no known safety plan when she traveled to Hatch Park at 3 AM.

And it pains me that she felt it would be safe, and that he was safe.

According to SA, there are currently 5 sugar babies for every sugar daddy in Salt Lake City.

You can't be safe without a safety plan. Hope they are listening.

MOO
Yeah. If any good can come from this, it’s that women will take precautions in dealing with this sort of thing.

And realize there’s a danger in the first place.

The fact that the SeekingArrangement website recommends bringing perfume and mace, tells you all you need to know.

It’s easier than ever to meet people, which means it’s easier than ever for predators to troll for victims.

48 Hours or 20/20 had a story about a guy who met dozens of women on a particular site, and would drug them at dinner.

His profile was a lie, as was just about everything he told them. I think he was married with kids, and he was off drugging and raping women.

Most of them just thought they drank too much, or were fearful of coming forward once they put the pieces together.

Last edited:
Yeah, actually, that was news to me as well.

I thought it was much longer than that, so it caught me by surprise.

I did as well, based on what we've heard and read about the SB facet of the case. But really, most of that is drawn from on MacKenzie's own words and SM postings about her lifestyle. And I did get the feeling she was an unreliable narrator of her own level of sophistication and worldliness, at least in her SM persona. The friends and family who described her as a sweet innocent girl, and the one poster (was it @Cali123 ?) whose son was acquainted with her in high school and described her as "naïve and ditzy" if I recall correctly, were closer to the truth. The vixen on Insta and in her sugar-lifestyle profiles and photos, or in the "experienced" advice she gave other sugar-curious young women on Facebook, was more like a pose, an exploration, maybe an aspiration. (Kenzie's FB comments are discussed somewhere in the previous threads, and I believe her various profiles are linked at the beginning of this thread.) Maybe Kenzie had done some reading about the lifestyle and thought she was well prepared before she took the plunge, and that's why she tried sharing helpful advice – but all the reading in the world can't prepare a young person for the emotional reality and conflict of clarifying, then pursuing, very specific goals in a new relationship.

I think the second woman interviewed on Dateline hit the nail on the head when she said Kenzie had no idea what she was getting herself into, and that many young women intrigued by ideas of the glamour and luxury they can attain by becoming a wealthy man's companion really are biting off far more than they can chew – both emotionally, and in terms of the expectations they may face. They may be harboring romantic hopes for what seems much more transactional from the sugar daddy's point of view. (Hence their distaste for considering it part of the "sex industry," in the reporter's words.) But more fundamentally, they could – as I think Kenzie did – also have a very sheltered view of sex crimes, power dynamics, and how badly things can go wrong when they're trying to be amenable and cooperative with a person they "know" only from his own idealized, fanciful, and self-advertising social media profile. They may think they're being assertive and independent, upfront about what they expect from a companion with whom they plan to spend time, but when the screening process (profiles, texting and instant messaging, etc.) is mostly conducted electronically – and likely without verification or references, much less acquaintances in common – it all too easily leads to unearned trust being granted far too early.

Try as I might, I simply can't see how that could feel empowering (in the reporter's phrasing), much less safe. Innocent people, like Kenzie, might roleplay a little online, trying on a new look, expressing new interests, trying on a new way of interacting to see if it feels right for them – but predators aren't innocent people, and they don't do any of this innocently. Everything they do when hiding behind their online persona is aimed at luring victims into their snare, and some of the dating and social websites provide them with a fertile playground. We need to teach our kids and young adults who are so savvy about technology also to be savvy about human nature, and not to trust unknown persons without some independent verification just because they have interests in common – nor to assume that everyone's motivation for being on a website are the same, or similarly innocuous.

JMO, MOO, etc.

I did as well, based on what we've heard and read about the SB facet of the case. But really, most of that is drawn from on MacKenzie's own words and SM postings about her lifestyle. And I did get the feeling she was an unreliable narrator of her own level of sophistication and worldliness, at least in her SM persona. The friends and family who described her as a sweet innocent girl, and the one poster (was it @Cali123 ?) whose son was acquainted with her in high school and described her as "naïve and ditzy" if I recall correctly, were closer to the truth. The vixen on Insta and in her sugar-lifestyle profiles and photos, or in the "experienced" advice she gave other sugar-curious young women on Facebook, was more like a pose, an exploration, maybe an aspiration. (Kenzie's FB comments are discussed somewhere in the previous threads, and I believe her various profiles are linked at the beginning of this thread.) Maybe Kenzie had done some reading about the lifestyle and thought she was well prepared before she took the plunge, and that's why she tried sharing helpful advice – but all the reading in the world can't prepare a young person for the emotional reality and conflict of clarifying, then pursuing, very specific goals in a new relationship.

I think the second woman interviewed on Dateline hit the nail on the head when she said Kenzie had no idea what she was getting herself into, and that many young women intrigued by ideas of the glamour and luxury they can attain by becoming a wealthy man's companion really are biting off far more than they can chew – both emotionally, and in terms of the expectations they may face. They may be harboring romantic hopes for what seems much more transactional from the sugar daddy's point of view. (Hence their distaste for considering it part of the "sex industry," in the reporter's words.) But more fundamentally, they could – as I think Kenzie did – also have a very sheltered view of sex crimes, power dynamics, and how badly things can go wrong when they're trying to be amenable and cooperative with a person they "know" only from his own idealized, fanciful, and self-advertising social media profile. They may think they're being assertive and independent, upfront about what they expect from a companion with whom they plan to spend time, but when the screening process (profiles, texting and instant messaging, etc.) is mostly conducted electronically – and likely without verification or references, much less acquaintances in common – it all too easily leads to unearned trust being granted far too early.

Try as I might, I simply can't see how that could feel empowering (in the reporter's phrasing), much less safe. Innocent people, like Kenzie, might roleplay a little online, trying on a new look, expressing new interests, trying on a new way of interacting to see if it feels right for them – but predators aren't innocent people, and they don't do any of this innocently. Everything they do when hiding behind their online persona is aimed at luring victims into their snare, and some of the dating and social websites provide them with a fertile playground. We need to teach our kids and young adults who are so savvy about technology also to be savvy about human nature, and not to trust unknown persons without some independent verification just because they have interests in common – nor to assume that everyone's motivation for being on a website are the same, or similarly innocuous.

JMO, MOO, etc.

Ha! Keith Morrison might as well have done an eye roll when she said “empowering.”

I love your “unreliable narrator” reference.

No matter how long she was into this, this was a whole new world to her. She thought she was in control, until she wasn’t.

We still have a lot to learn about all of this, and if this was in fact one of those SB relationships.

I do think it was, despite the fact that AJ would have known that it was not.

She had no idea what his true purpose was.

Which is the point.

Brittany Glas on Twitter
"It’s not about rushing or forcing the process,” @SimGillDA. "Because if we're going to accuse somebody & deprive them of their liberty interest, then we want to be able to say that it is supported by a legitimate process with integrity." More on Ayoola Ajayi at 10 on @KSL5TV.
EEYZUMuWsAIw1CP.jpg
EEYZUMuXYAElNXK.jpg

8:25 PM - 13 Sep 2019

Dateline Producer on Twitter
According to Dell, Ayoola Ajayi had been an employee at the Draper, Utah office. #Dateline
10:56 PM - 13 Sep 2019

PaightenHarkins on Twitter
Ayoola Ajayi was described as someone who carefully curated his image as an educated professional. A roommate also told us he "tends to have some anger issues"
11:00 PM - 13 Sep 2019

Dateline Producer on Twitter
On my first trip to Salt Lake City for this story, I visited the home of Ayoola Ajayi. A memorial to MacKenzie Lueck lined the sidewalk. #Dateline
EEZK18xUcAArPSa.jpg

11:02 PM - 13 Sep 2019

SEP 13, 2019
Salt Lake County DA on Lueck murder: 'It’s a priority case'
Three months after the disappearance and ultimate murder of 23-year-old University of Utah student Mackenzie Lueck, the case remains active and ongoing, according to Salt Lake County District Attorney Sim Gill.

[...]

“We have this perception that from TV and movies and whatnot, that this is something that happens in a very quick timeline,” he said. “The more complicated a case, the longer that process is sometimes because everybody is trying to make sure that they’re doing it right and that you’re crossing every ‘t’ and dotting every ‘i.’ We have to gather the information. We have to gather it in the right way. We have to document that information in a right way. So that it’s evidence — potential evidence — that is ultimately admissible.”

[...]

“In complex cases like this and in general, you may get additional reaching from the community, you may get additional calls, and you may get new leads, and we have an obligation to process that,” Gill said. “We have to process the information that we’ve gathered, we have to respond to any new inquiries that may come in. We have to break down scientific or digital evidence. That sometimes takes time. That’s an ongoing process that we’re engaged in. Very rarely do these cases come to an end at the moment that you file.”

[...]

“People can rest assured that I have a team of very good dedicated prosecutors — both our investigators, as well as the Salt Lake City Police Department,” he said. “Everybody is working on this case. It’s a priority case for that team and so, we want to move it along in a timely fashion. But we also want to move it along to make sure that we do it right. Everybody’s rights are protected and it’s a fair process. Justice is a very defining component of our process, and justice is something we pursue, and we try to find some measure of it for victims and families who have undergone some really heinous and tragic experiences.”

[...]

Ajayi currently faces 27 total counts of various charges filed by the Salt Lake County District Attorney’s Office. They include the four counts mentioned above, 19 counts of sexual exploitation of a minor after child *advertiser censored* was allegedly found on Ajayi’s computer after his arrest, and four counts related to a separate kidnapping case dating back to March 2018.

[...]

“Of course you don’t wish that there are any more victims out there, but if there are, then we would be derelict in our duty to not respond to those if that information comes forward to us,” Gill said.

[...]

Ajayi is presumed innocent until proven guilty. He has a scheduling conference set for October 7 in court.

I dunno. We’re responsible for our own safety, and I think it’s important to learn what we can from these cases.

That “sugar baby” who was interviewed, pointed out that many of these women don’t realize what they are getting into, and the risks they may be taking.

I’m with you on the sensationalized way this sort of thing is exploited though.

It’s a weird situation, because no one deserves to be a victim, nor is any victim responsible for the actions of a monster.

But we can do things to minimize risk, and I think that should be the message here.

I understand & appreciate what you are saying.
I’m just sick of the hook the media uses.
i.e. - bikini clad hiker (still missing)

MOO

I don't know what happened. Trying to quote mass guy's post. I wasn't aware of the private detective. Did anything come of that?

I wish I knew where to find it but that PI has a pretty interesting story with the area as well, he used to be an LE officer if I remember right. I hope I have the right case lol. Maybe someone else will recall it and know where it is but I read about it. He was "let go" from the department and I believe has fought it for some years in court. Two very different sides to the story. If I am incorrect I will ask the mods to delete this but I am pretty positive I have it right.

I wonder when KL met him at a bar what the conversation was because it sure came about to talking about Seeking Arrangement, etc. To me I guess what that means is she is naively offering a lot of info about herself to a stranger.

I tend to agree with some above that I think this girl was very naive but acted as though she was not, or believed herself not to be, and was looking to break out of her usual mold in life/restrictions, etc. and had no idea what she was doing...?

I feel asleep last night just as the show started, woke up once, fell back asleep, darn it. Then woke up in the middle of the night wide awake :rolleyes:Doesn't sound like I missed a lot. If anyone hears when it will be shown again or if there is a link online for the full show, I would appreciate a heads up.

Jmo.

I wish I knew where to find it but that PI has a pretty interesting story with the area as well, he used to be an LE officer if I remember right. I hope I have the right case lol. Maybe someone else will recall it and know where it is but I read about it. He was "let go" from the department and I believe has fought it for some years in court. Two very different sides to the story. If I am incorrect I will ask the mods to delete this but I am pretty positive I have it right.

I wonder when KL met him at a bar what the conversation was because it sure came about to talking about Seeking Arrangement, etc. To me I guess what that means is she is naively offering a lot of info about herself to a stranger.

I tend to agree with some above that I think this girl was very naive but acted as though she was not, or believed herself not to be, and was looking to break out of her usual mold in life/restrictions, etc. and had no idea what she was doing...?

I feel asleep last night just as the show started, woke up once, fell back asleep, darn it. Then woke up in the middle of the night wide awake :rolleyes:Doesn't sound like I missed a lot. If anyone hears when it will be shown again or if there is a link online for the full show, I would appreciate a heads up.

Jmo.
Watch Dateline Episodes - NBC.com

You're welcome. I had it pinned to watch again so that was an easy one, lol. :p

Did someone call you during the first viewing as you asked no one do? Lol. So the need to watch again? Or were you busy with nonperforming robots in the basement?

Jk of course. I appreciate the people who take the time to do all of these things, even if in every case we are not in agreement all of the time.

Thank you again!

I did as well, based on what we've heard and read about the SB facet of the case. But really, most of that is drawn from on MacKenzie's own words and SM postings about her lifestyle. And I did get the feeling she was an unreliable narrator of her own level of sophistication and worldliness, at least in her SM persona.

<RSBMFF>

JMO, MOO, etc.

RBBM

I agree - there is no way these relationships are "empowering". Not by a long shot.

JMVHO.

I also didn't realize ML had only been in this lifestyle for a month. As the other girl said, way too naive. So sad.
It was a month that she was on the SA website, but I believe she used Tinder for similar relationships, at least that's what she wrote in one of those FB posts giving advice to someone considering the lifestyle. Also, did I hear on that Dateline or somewhere else where her friend said she wasn't too sure about the SA website?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissAmericana