Found Alive UT - Madelyn Allen, 19, seen leaving Snow College dorm, Ephraim, 13 Dec 2021

what does 'hide in the coal' mean?
did he have a big pile of bbq coal?
how does one hide in the coal and why would he have coal?

People do heat their homes by burning coal. Coal is typically stored in a bin -- the ones I've seen are usually in the basement near the furnace and coal is dumped into the bin via a chute accessed from outside the home. The bins I've seen have been like large metal boxes without a top. People shovel coal from the bin into the furnace as needed.

ETA: For the uninformed: Coal Bins 101

Not a lot of photos, but a good description nonetheless.

Released on bail??? So he can spend time with his kids, at Christmas????? Wth.

Don't you forego that luxury when you tie somebody else's child up naked in your basement?

Somewhere there's a mother who is probably terrified that she has to let him see her children.

Knowing what the charges are, he should never be able to spend time with any child ever.

Nightmare.

JMO

ETA bail wasn't granted

Last edited:
Released on bail??? So he can spend time with his kids, at Christmas????? Wth

Don't you forego that luxury when you tie somebody else's child up naked in your basement?

Somewhere there's a mother who is probably terrified that she has to let him see her children.

Knowing what the charges are, how is he able to spend time with any child????

Nightmare.

JMO

omg he has kids???!!!

Released on bail??? So he can spend time with his kids, at Christmas????? Wth

Knowing what the charges are, how is he able to spend time with any child????

Nightmare.

JMO

At least the Judge didn't fall for it and he's being held without bail. Next hearing is January 10th.

It isn’t common these days, but not abnormal or anything. JMO.
Depends on what kind of area the house is in and when it was built. I have several family members in extremely isolated, rural parts of the US that have these bins and most of their houses were built 75-100 years ago, I would say. Based off where LE said Maddie was found, this would track.

Another article describes it as a coal storage bin. Is that normal? I don’t know

The little town that she was found in has older homes. This would be normal in an older home especially in this area. There are many older homes in small rural towns in Utah that have coal stoves. There are many coal mines in Utah still.

The little town that she was found in has older homes. This would be normal in an older home especially in this area. There are many older homes in small rural towns in Utah that have coal stoves. There are many coal mines in Utah still.

And many rural areas have no access to natural gas. They have to use coal or propane for heat.

This is an interesting article about the use of Kik by predators.

The site authorities say Madelyn Allen's suspected kidnapper used has been popular among men charged with sexual abuse

The man accused of kidnapping and raping student Madelyn Allen met her through the messaging platform Kik, according to the indictment obtained by Insider.

Kik is an anonymous platform that has been used by predators in the past to contact young victims and exchange explicit images. Forbes reported it had a "huge child exploitation problem" in 2017 due to users' anonymity and the platform's lack of action in deleting offenders' profiles.

In 2018, a BBC investigation found that Kik had been involved in 1,100 child sexual abuse cases in the previous five years.

In February, a convicted pedophile used the app to upload footage of himself abusing a child, the Daily Mail reported. Lewis Tupper, a 25-year-old man from West Yorkshire in the United Kingdom, was sentenced to 10 years in jail for uploading videos and photos of him molesting an underage girl.

The same platform where investigators said Brown and Allen met was also used by Nathan Larson, a self-professed pedophile and white supremacist whom authorities said kidnapped a 12-year-old girl in December 2020.
Larson, who had advocated for legalizing child *advertiser censored*, was charged with kidnapping, child abduction, soliciting child *advertiser censored* from a minor, and meeting a child for the intention of sex, among other things.

More at link

So his parents were away? Or did they just own the home he lives in? Reminds me of Jayme Closs case where the kidnapper's parents probably saw these stories on the news and had no idea that their own son was the one responsible. Imagine being them and getting that call from the police.

And then he's asking to go home for Christmas? The absolute gall.

I see borderline victim-blamey stuff about her religious community, mixed with posts imploring us not to blame any online communities, which seems more than a little twisted. Her family seems to be truly loving and I'm happy she's surrounded by people committed to helping her heal and thrive.

So his parents were away? Or did they just own the home he lives in? Reminds me of Jayme Closs case where the kidnapper's parents probably saw these stories on the news and had no idea that their own son was the one responsible. Imagine being them and getting that call from the police.

And then he's asking to go home for Christmas? The absolute gall.

I see borderline victim-blamey stuff about her religious community, mixed with posts imploring us not to blame any online communities, which seems more than a little twisted. Her family seems to be truly loving and I'm happy she's surrounded by people committed to helping her heal and thrive.
Look at it this way, a lot of people think that what happened to Sherri Papini is similar to what happened here except Sherri wasn't found, was eventually released and doesn't want to talk about what happened to her. I think it's pretty likely Madelyn will also come to a point where she decides she doesn't want to talk about it anymore and I wonder if people will turn against her the same way.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla
Back