Found Alive UT - Madelyn Allen, 19, seen leaving Snow College dorm, Ephraim, 13 Dec 2021

Final pre-trial conference is scheduled June 6, 2022 for Brent Brown in case 171100538 - State Felony

This appears to be in relation to a charge of "tampering with a witness" dated 10/13/2017 so it would be unrelated to Madelyn. That charge is referred to in the article

So from what I can gather prosecution is using that current felony charge to keep him in custody related to the kidnapping charge until its trial date in June, the results of which they will at that time use to support harsher charges related to Madelyn. I'm not sure what he did in 2017 but he would be in a lot less trouble now if he hadn't done it (or if he'd been a little more careful while having an outstanding felony charge against him). It seems a little weird to me that the courts would just let a felony charge float around in the ether like that since 2017 - I wouldn't have even thought it would be allowed to go long enough for the pandemic to interfere with it but maybe that's how it goes in Utah, that some cases are just allowed continuance indefinitely with the implication that the accused not get into any additional legal trouble and what we're seeing now is the process that happens if they do.

Thanks so much @Kristin Esq.

It's odd that media coverage has apparently ceased. I would think there would be strong public interest in justice for this victim. I'm also curious if use of social media to lure the victim could carry any charges.

Perhaps the lack of media coverage is related to journalistic ethics/preferences of the victim, as discussed in this article?

JMO
It's been reasonably well established that Madelyn was seeking to be "kidnapped" long before she made contact with Brown. I'm pretty sure that Madelyn and her family and her church do not want this case to be all over the media and closely scrutinized. Everything indicates that she would like to just get on with her life.

It's been reasonably well established that Madelyn was seeking to be "kidnapped" long before she made contact with Brown. I'm pretty sure that Madelyn and her family and her church do not want this case to be all over the media and closely scrutinized. Everything indicates that she would like to just get on with her life.
I agree that she and her family would prefer no media coverage. But I don't see how they can prevent it should any news outlet, local, national or international decide to provide coverage of Brown's cases and their disposition. They might agree to only ID her as a 19yo college student, rather than naming her (although that cat's out of the bag).

I appreciate you clarifying the outstanding warrant case that has to be addressed along with the charges involving MA.

JMO

I agree that she and her family would prefer no media coverage. But I don't see how they can prevent it should any news outlet, local, national or international decide to provide coverage of Brown's cases and their disposition. They might agree to only ID her as a 19yo college student, rather than naming her (although that cat's out of the bag).

I appreciate you clarifying the outstanding warrant case that has to be addressed along with the charges involving MA.

JMO
It's quite possible that she her family have ceased communication with law enforcement and the attorneys office beyond the initial statement. It would be effective since without a case and without a victim you don't have a story.

I personally suspect that the initial statement she gave when she was found was based on her primary fear of getting in trouble with her family and the church. It was only some time later that she might have realized the national media attention was a much bigger, potentially life long problem.

I expect that this whole case will fade away as much as it's possible for a case to fade away. Madelyn will start going by a different name so that casual googling of her won't connect with the story and Brown will be sentenced to the maximum penalty for the 2017 witness tampering charge as an unofficial punishment for his wrongdoing here.

It's quite possible that she her family have ceased communication with law enforcement and the attorneys office beyond the initial statement. It would be effective since without a case and without a victim you don't have a story.

I personally suspect that the initial statement she gave when she was found was based on her primary fear of getting in trouble with her family and the church. It was only some time later that she might have realized the national media attention was a much bigger, potentially life long problem.

I expect that this whole case will fade away as much as it's possible for a case to fade away. Madelyn will start going by a different name so that casual googling of her won't connect with the story and Brown will be sentenced to the maximum penalty for the 2017 witness tampering charge as an unofficial punishment for his wrongdoing here.
And he will continue to solicit girls online at the earliest opportunity, no doubt. That concerns me because I can see him escalating that behavior if it is dropped. I do think MA's life was in danger. He is a predator.

JMO

Not finding an update on the 6th District court case in LOA - Case # 211600020 (posted above)

IANAL & do not have access to the court records online, which appear to be fee-based only.

Any WS attorneys who might help research what charges he faces in these cases and potential sentences if convicted?

@gitana1
@Kristin Esq.
I have access to So Cal and federal cases only.

JMO

I think the population in general probably don’t view her as much of a victim. As a result, the media doesn’t see as much interest in the case.

Do we know how she’s doing? Any word?

Wait. Are they not going forward with more serious charges?

I think the population in general probably don’t view her as much of a victim. As a result, the media doesn’t see as much interest in the case.

Do we know how she’s doing? Any word?
She did a video thanking people for their support in January.

The last article I'm finding was in March.

She did a video thanking people for their support in January.

The last article I'm finding was in March.

Poor girl. I hope she’s doing better.

Wait. Are they not going forward with more serious charges?
That's a good question. The case in the Loa Sixth District Court has no current calendar update. That is case # 211600020, I believe. The other felony case is in the First District Court near Brigham with an upcoming 6/6/22 cort date - final pre-trial conference.

I'm a bit surprised by all of these posts. Can someone provide a link stating that his charges were dropped?
It's an open question. We need someone with access to court records in Utah to research to learn more about these and any other pending cases, charges, etc. No MSM coverage that I can find with any update(s).

I wish we knew more! Whether MA was willing to go ahead with a prosecution or not, one could still occur related to her case IMO. They have evidence.

JMO

It's an open question. We need someone with access to court records in Utah to research to learn more about these and any other pending cases, charges, etc. No MSM coverage that I can find with any update(s).

I wish we knew more! Whether MA was willing to go ahead with a prosecution or not, one could still occur related to her case IMO. They have evidence.

JMO

Can you give me the second case number?

I'm a bit surprised by all of these posts. Can someone provide a link stating that his charges were dropped?

I just signed in on the Utah state court case search site as a guest. The only felony I can find for this guy is the tampering with a witness charge. There are three other charges from the past- misdemeanors.

What is weird, however, is usually when a person is charged in a criminal court, there is a record of the case. Even if the charges were dismissed.

I’m wondering if the case was sealed. Off to see if that’s possible in Utah.

It may have been closed/sealed:

In deciding whether to allow access to a court record or whether to classify a court record as private, protected or sealed, the court may consider any relevant factor, interest or policy presented by the parties, including but not limited to the interests described in Rule 4-202. In ruling on a motion under this rule the judge shall:
(A) make findings and conclusions about specific records;
(B) identify and balance the interests favoring opening and closing the record; and
(C) if the record is ordered closed, determine there are no reasonable alternatives to closure sufficient to protect the interests favoring closure.
The public’s right of access may be overcome if a trial court finds that disclosure of records containing sensitive or inflammatory information that is not necessarily accurate or admissible would jeopardize the defendant’s chance of receiving a fair trial. Archuleta, 857 P.2d at 239.

Even if all parties agree to have their court records sealed, the “court has discretion to seal documents only if the public’s right of access is outweighed by competing interests,” including “protecting the integrity of ongoing investigations and proceedings, the privacy of those involved, the defendant’s right to a fair trial, public safety, and promot[ing] the rehabilitation of offenders, especially youthful offenders.” Id.¶ 58 (citations and internal quotations omitted) (alteration in original).

I have a feeing they closed the case. Otherwise, there should have been some record. I mean he had a bail hearing.

It may have been closed/sealed:

In deciding whether to allow access to a court record or whether to classify a court record as private, protected or sealed, the court may consider any relevant factor, interest or policy presented by the parties, including but not limited to the interests described in Rule 4-202. In ruling on a motion under this rule the judge shall:

The public’s right of access may be overcome if a trial court finds that disclosure of records containing sensitive or inflammatory information that is not necessarily accurate or admissible would jeopardize the defendant’s chance of receiving a fair trial. Archuleta, 857 P.2d at 239.

Even if all parties agree to have their court records sealed, the “court has discretion to seal documents only if the public’s right of access is outweighed by competing interests,” including “protecting the integrity of ongoing investigations and proceedings, the privacy of those involved, the defendant’s right to a fair trial, public safety, and promot[ing] the rehabilitation of offenders, especially youthful offenders.” Id.¶ 58 (citations and internal quotations omitted) (alteration in original).

I have a feeing they closed the case. Otherwise, there should have been some record. I mean he had a bail hearing.
Thanks, @gitana1. I sure hope he doesn't continue or escalate his pursuit of potential sexual assault victims.

JMO

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88