GUILTY UT - Melissa Rowland delayed C-section, baby died, Salt Lake County, 2 Jan 2004

WasBlind said:
"It" is not a choice, it's a child.

It's not our bodies we are talking about, it is children's bodies.

God gave us a womb, not a tomb.

I know what life is, I am alive.

Thank you, Mom!

This is not an issue over abortion. OK?

This is an issue of respecting someone's choice over a medical procedure.
People can twist this woman's intentions to make it look like she is not concerned about her unborn, but I don't think that is the case here.

Here is a true story that happened to me!

When I was thinking I must be pregnant with my second child, I made the usual appointment to be checked and this is what I found out.
The doctor said, I have two things to tell you. You are 8 weeks pregnant and you have what appears to be a tumor growing alongside the womb the size of a grapefruit. You will have to have surgery to remove the tumor, which will then induce labor and you will lose the pregnancy.

I was so shocked and hurt and happy all in the same second. I cried and cried when I got home and told my husband and family. I was shaking in my boots. All I could think about was my baby. I had my church pray for me. I went back to the doctor and was ready to tell him that I was willing to take the chance of carrying both the tumor and the baby because I didn't want the baby to die. To the doctor this what nonsense. We both could die. But I could not have that surgery no way.

So I refused. The miracle is, when they checked to do a biopsy, the tumor had shrunk and Benjamin Scott Graham is ok and 20 years old.

Now that is why I can't judge this woman.

God blessed you Angelsleuth! This is what is natural. It was not natural for you to have surgery and lose that baby. C-sections are not natural. We all forget God has a plan. Just because we have the resources to save things, we can not enforce them upon others. It is her decision not ours to make. If abortions are legal, this poor woman certainly shouldn't be sitting in jail. There is ALWAYS a chance you would not make it through surgery. I know, I've had 2 c sections, I know the risk. She did not MURDER!!!! The baby was STILLBORN! Look up the definitions, this case makes me sick to think that us women are told what to do and when to do it. We all need to make our own decisions. Judge if you want, but don't charge her with murder.

Another thing we need to remember:

I didn't read the whole story so I don't know what her situation is. BUT- if this young lady REALLY did care more about the scar then her child she doesn't have a very strong maternal instinct. Can we all agree on that? So if she doesn't, think 10 years down the road. Maybe she wouldn't have been able to handle twins. Maybe the powers that be knew that and knew that she would be a better mommy to one then two. It's not that hard to comprehend. I am a strong believer in thinking that all things happen for a reason.

This case would truely be more believable if she aborted one, but we all know she didn't. The baby died of natural causes.

The truth is, nobody here KNOWS what the mother was thinking. I feel that she is being used as an example by those who have a political (and religious) agenda in Utah.

BirdieBoo said:
What if the doctor had said she must abort one twin or the other would die? Would she be prosecuted for that?

Medical advice is just that: ADVICE.

I totally agree with this! I do not think that this woman should be charged with murder! I am so stumped at how women can choose to abort babies; but when a poor child is unfortunately still born, the mother is a murderer????

While I was pregnant with my children, I opted to see a certified nurse midwife instead of a Doctor. I had learned from many other women that Docters often take the easiest way out of situations and opt for more "medical" interventions instead of helping the body do things naturally. I don't know the full medical stats on this woman but she may have had other ideas on how the delivery should have been carried out. Perhaps she felt pressure from these doctors and their concerns didn't quite add up in her mind. A C-section should ALWAYS be a last resort, an emergency type thing. Seems to me that she was able to birth the babies naturally and it is a very unfortunate thing that the second baby did not survive. Shouldn't we be thankful that she chose to carry these babies to term?

Alas, I have not read all of the articles on this woman but I still do not believe that she should be charged with MURDER for not following medical advice. If that happens, can we start filing criminal charges against smokers?? Don't doctors advise against smoking, drugs, over eating???

angelsleuth, you stated "This is not an issue over abortion. OK?" after quoting my entire post.

I just re-read my post, twice. Would you be kind enough to point out to me where I used the word abortion, pls?

I was not talking about abortion. I am sticking to the subject of this thread.

God bless you

Moab said:
http://tv.ksl.com/index.php?sid=80800&nid=5

Here is another article which brings to light some different issues

And another one from the Tribune today!

http://www.sltribune.com/2004/Mar/03132004/utah/147345.asp
Read the articles. Sounds like a witch hunt. Let's use this OBVIOUSLY unbalanced woman to try to get a conviction on record that we can use against someone else somewhere down the way.

I find in intriguing that the hospital would not comment on refusing her re-entry when she came back. It is also interesting to see how taking statements out of context can change their meaning.

angelsleuth said:
This is not an issue over abortion. OK?

This is an issue of respecting someone's choice over a medical procedure.
People can twist this woman's intentions to make it look like she is not concerned about her unborn, but I don't think that is the case here.

I'm sorry I sounded harsh.
I realize you didn't use the word abortion. I used to volunteer for Birthright, a place for women to learn of alternatives to abortion and I have read so many things like the words you mentioned. The womb is not a tomb.

The reason I said that this is not an issue over abortion is because if the woman was intentionally wanting her womb to become a tomb then she would be equal to anyone agreeing to a medical procedure to kill the baby.

And I simply meant that this does not seem to be the case.

Thanks and I'm sorry if I sounded mean.

from her behavior...she wasn't a part of upper crust society, maybe even a terrible person. Maybe she is downright evil, but that still does not mean that she should be convicted of murder for not going along with medical advice.

She is being made an example for the political agenda that says a woman should not have control of her own body.

Can't you see, if some women act like this, it's quite obvious that women can't be trusted and so they must be GOVERNED!

Don't get me wrong Birdie. I DON'T believe that ANY procedure should be forced upon a woman. ever even here. I also don't buy it that a C-Sec. would have FOR CERTAIN saved her child either. That should be her choice. BUT in finding out more things about her, she should NEVER have children.

My 2cents

But there are also lots of men who shouldn't. And we don't see the government placing legal restrictions on their reproductive capabilities.

Nor do we see them being charged when they are absent and their children are being neglected or abused.

BirdieBoo said:
But there are also lots of men who shouldn't. And we don't see the government placing legal restrictions on their reproductive capabilities.

Nor do we see them being charged when they are absent and their children are being neglected or abused.

:clap: :clap: :clap: here here, many many should be jailed. Just because they don't give birth does NOT mean they can walk away. AND some do go to jail in some states, just not enough. (I think back to andrea yates - THAT FATHER, in my opinion, SHOULD HAVE BEEN CHARGED with something)

http://abcnews.go.com/wire/US/ap20040313_1602.html

OMG!

When the past behavior of people is revealed and then put into context with current charges, a whole new picture is revealed.

I still say that if she were a normal woman, having maternal instincts, it should not be up to the state whether she have a medical procedure. BUT If it is suspected that child endangerment is involved then it is everyone's duty that knows her to report it. Authorities have to step in.

I am sorry for trying to step into this woman's shoes. She cares more about her smoking habit than a baby wanting a candy bar...probably because the mother hadn't fed him/her. She sounds like a nut.

Poor babies.

here is a picture of the woman. I guess she had alcohol and cocain in her system too. Her picture kind of says alot to me...............

Part of the article here
Woman Named in Twin Death Had Conviction

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) - The woman charged with killing one of her twins by refusing a Caesarean section was convicted of child endangerment in Pittsburgh nearly four years ago, a newspaper reported Saturday.

The 2000 conviction of Melissa Rowland stemmed from a supermarket incident in which she punched her daughter several times in the face after the toddler picked up a candy bar and began eating it, the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reported. Witnesses said Rowland screamed, ``You ate the candy bar and now I can't buy my cigarettes.''

:sick:

Picture & Rest of article is here

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa