UT - Parenting influencer, Ruby Franke, and blogger/podcast partner Jodi Hildebrandt, arrested for Child Abuse, Aug 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoosgirl

Reaction score

Ruby Franke arrest: The '8 passengers' creator has been charged with child abuse. Viewers think they saw it coming.​

According to a statement from the Santa Clara-Ivins Public Safety Department that was shared with Insider, a child climbed out of a window at a residence in Ivins, Utah, to get help, which led to the allegations of abuse Franke is being charged with. The residence belonged to Franke's business partner, Jodi Hildebrandt, who was also arrested in the case, local outlet Fox 13 reported.

The child ran to a neighbor's house to get help, Fox 13 reported, and asked for food and water, according to the statement. The neighbors noticed that the kid had duct tape on their ankles and wrists and decided to call the police.

Ruby Franke was once a familiar face on the 8 Passengers channel, which followed the lives of her, her husband Kevin Franke, and their six children: [redacted by me]. But over the past three years, the family has been in a downward spiral.

The channel had about 2.5 million subscribers at its peak but was taken offline earlier this year for unknown reasons. The family has also been surrounded by allegations of wrongdoing for some time, which signaled the beginning of the end of 8 Passengers, with Franke splintering off to a different, controversial channel last year and certain family members disappearing from view altogether.

Was waiting for this to be posted. It was crazy witnessing the decent into madness as a viewer from the early days. They went from a normal family channel to unconventional and worrying parenting to unbelievable cult-like preaching. I've said for a while it reminded me of the Lori Vallow case but it's scary to think how there was a bit of truth in that.

Was waiting for this to be posted. It was crazy witnessing the decent into madness as a viewer from the early days. They went from a normal family channel to unconventional and worrying parenting to unbelievable cult-like preaching. I've said for a while it reminded me of the Lori Vallow case but it's scary to think how there was a bit of truth in that.
I had never heard of her or her channel! So you were a follower? That is fascinating insight about the evolution (or devolution) of the family. I always feel for children of the vloggers/influencers who get their whole lives offered up to the public without their consent in general. But this is extreme.

I had never heard of her or her channel! So you were a follower? That is fascinating insight about the evolution (or devolution) of the family. I always feel for children of the vloggers/influencers who get their whole lives offered up to the public without their consent in general. But this is extreme.
Yeah! I followed them for a couple years back when I was still a teen myself. Like I said they seemed to be a normal family in the beginning. There was a lot of talk about them in I want to say 2020(?) because they revealed they had taken away their teen son's bed for a prank he pulled on his brother and so he was sleeping on a beanbag for seven months. This same son was also sent to one of those teen wilderness camps for several weeks.

There were lots of clips circulating around then too (which were still going around in 2023 before this news) from clips from their vlogs of problematic at best (and abusive at worst) things done. Like letting her six year old go hungry at school because it was her responsibility to pack her own lunch which she forgot.

Then a few years ago the mom got involved with another women (called Jodi - the other woman charged in this case) who had her own therapy group called ConneXtions. I hadn't been watching for a while at this point so I'm hazy on the details, but the stuff they came out with was crazy. Very cult like. Stuff like living by "The Truth" and what that entailed. I've passively kept up with the snark subreddit and found out that she has been estranged from her extended family for 3(?) years, including her eldest daughter who is now 20.

I knew based on the things she spoke about in the videos that she was neglectful and definitely brainwashing her children, but hearing these details is still shocking.

Last edited:
"The women’s podcast soon came under similar scrutiny, especially as the two women espoused homophobic, transphobic, racist and ableist rhetoric, according to Insider.

In one 2018 episode, for example, Franke used a monologue to explain how 'pain is meant to be a teacher' for children. 'It’s not your nemesis. It’s your ally,' she said. 'Pain is not bad. It is here to temper you and teach you and humble you and refine you and create wisdom in you.'”

"In June 2022, Franke announced she was forming a new channel called ConneXions with Hildebrandt "

"Franke and Hildebrandt's channel caused concern straight away, with onlookers labeling ConneXions a 'cult.' It describes itself as a mom's 'support group'....but has been criticized as damaging, extreme, and authoritarian in its teachings."

"In one video, for example, Franke and Hildebrandt said parents should not love their children unconditionally, and in another Franke gave multiple reasons children shouldn't be listened to and said they didn't deserve privacy. They have also freely made homophobic, transphobic, racist, and ableist comments."

The children were in the home of Ruby Franke's business/podcast partner Jodi Hildebrant. Jodi was also arrested.

"'Ms. Hildebrandt requested a lawyer and did not speak with us. Once given her charges, Ms. Hildebrandt informed me (the children) should never be allowed around any other kids,'" police wrote."

Ruby Franke’s husband trying to ‘keep his children together’ after her child abuse arrest

"Kevin’s attorney, Randy S. Kester, told Page Six Thursday that his client’s urgent focus is simply to keep his children together under his fatherly care.'”

"Ruby — who will be held in Washington County jail without bail — declined to speak to authorities and instead requested a lawyer."
Yikes-fatherly care. Since the father lived in the home, he should have been arrested too.

Last edited:
For sure, where was he in all of this madness?
I’ve followed this family (and rubys sisters who are all also YouTubers) for at least 10 years now. I followed her siblings more than her because I just can’t stand her vibe.

Anyways, I stopped watching at least 6 years ago and kept up every once in a while through discord/Reddit pages discussing the family. It is widely believed that they were abusive. If I remember correctly they’ve discussed cps being called on them before.

From what I remember, Kevin left with the oldest son within the last year and has an apartment where they were living. I assume he could only take the one child as he was I believe 18. Whereas the other 4 are under 18 still.

Gosh, I remember the incident where the youngest child that was found in that house has to go hungry at lunch because ruby expected her 6 year old to pack their own lunch. It was absurd.

I’m so happy for these children to be free from ruby and I pray they never have to see her again.

A family and parenting influencer known for her strict rules and tough consequences has been arrested on charges of aggravated child abuse after a child with duct tape on their ankles and wrists reportedly crawled out of a window and ran to a neighbor's house asking for help.

The Washington County Sheriff's Department website lists Franke and her business partner, Jodi Hildebrandt, as “in custody” as of Wednesday night, and Salt Lake City news affiliate Fox 13 reported it was Hildebrandt’s home from which the child ran, and that neighbors told police he or she looked to be “emaciated and malnourished, with open wounds and duct tape around the extremities.”

At least one other child (who was also malnourished) was found in the home, Fox 13 reported, citing arresting documents that claimed that Franke appeared in a YouTube video shot in Hildebrandt’s home days earlier, and therefore would have known about the abuse happening inside.

Franke shot to “momfluencer” fame in 2015 through her YouTube channel called 8 Passengers, where she documented the life of her husband and six children before her channel, which had more than 2.2 million subscribers, was suddenly removed earlier this year.

The channel was the frequent target of criticism for how Franke and her husband, Kevin, disciplined their children: She was accused of starving her 6-year-old daughter after the child forgot to bring lunch to school and Franke refused to take it to her, Insider reported, and viewers called local child protective services in 2020 after their teenage son claimed he had his bedroom taken away as a punishment and had slept on a beanbag for seven months.

A search for “8 Passengers” on YouTube brings up a host of videos accusing the Frankes of abusive behavior, but Ruby Franke has long claimed her parenting style is not abuse but rather meant to teach her children about the consequences of their actions.

Unable to escape the allegations on 8 Passengers, Franke last summer created a new channel with therapist Hildebrandt called ConneXions, which promises to “give you the training you need to create joy in your life and relationships”—but has also been criticized by viewers as extremist and manipulative.

The eldest Franke child, 20-year-old Shari Franke, posted to InstagramWednesday to say she and her family had worked for years to get the attention of child protective services and asked her 364,000 followers to share any “questionable or concerning” videos from the 8 Passengers or ConneXions accounts with her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500