UT - Parenting influencer, Ruby Franke, and blogger/podcast partner Jodi Hildebrandt, arrested for Child Abuse, Aug 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yikes-fatherly care. Since the father lived in the home, he should have been arrested too.
KF didn't live with the family for the year prior to the arrests -- he had his own apartment and did not see or communicate with the kids and had only extremely brief communications with RF.

A very odd thing I noticed during RF's endless allocution. She emphatically stated that she had NEVER been in business with JH and had never received any money/pay from JH/ConneXions. Nope, none, zip, zero, nada. That's a stretch when one recalls video of the cozy JH/RF chats on the basement couch and RF having some kind of "certification" or title via ConneXions.

During JH's allocution, I thought she specifically mentioned something about being in business with RF.

There's obviously some wrangling going on about the exact nature of that arrangment/relationship. Federal or state income tax issue? RF trying to get distance from legal liability when people start to sue ConneXions and the lawsuits start piling up?

Unfortunately, I don't think those kids, even the adult children, will feel like they would be safe and supported if chosen to cut ties with the parents. Everything will go back to the way "it was" (whatever that means) once she's out.

Hi @gitana1,

I do not understand the sentence can you make heads or tails of it? Anybody?

The judge sentenced them to serve four terms of one to 15 years each.

The sentences will run consecutively and are the maximum for each count under Utah law. How much time each will ultimately serve will be determined by the state's parole board.

Consecutively means Ruby has to serve one sentence after another so how does that work? How could it be only 4 years?

She serves her first sentence and , say, she is paroled after 7 years. Then she would have to stay in prison for the second sentence and could get parole, say, in 5 years....Then the 3rd sentence then the 4th.

This can't be right. I'm used to concurrent sentences which if applicable here would mean if she got parole, say, in 9 years, she would be 100% done because the 9 years counts for 4 sentences.

Thanks

If it is 1-15 years concurrent, that means she can be out in four. Which is ridiculous, IMO.

But I’m not sure how that would work with parole. Is she granted parole on one violation and then commences the next sentence? That would be weird. Could she be granted parole on one charge after serving a year but then not be granted parole on the second charge, for, say, five years? I have no idea.

I also don’t understand why the parole board is given so much power here. Why isn’t she being sentenced to a minimum that’s more than one year per charge? 1-15 years is a huge range.

And sadly, I don’t think anyone would show up to the parole hearings to support her staying in. I believe her kids will be brainwashed to see her as a victim. Her husband was crying at sentencing so I believe he will support her. Her bishop will support her.

I hope someone can show up and recommend that due to the severity of the crimes and her lack of accountability and horrible narcissism at her sentencing, she needs to stay in prison.

There is a Utah legal statue here, which, as I interpret it, mandates that the Parole board deal with this as a sentence of 4-30 years. Utah Code Section 76-3-401

Then there are complex regulations that indicate, basically, the Parole board will do up calculations with time served, type of offense, length of sentence, etc, and at 6 months after imprisonment, will schedule a hearing that will clarify when the inmate will first become eligible for parole.

All this is imposed by Utah legislation, not just the choice of this particular judge. Although this is a famous case, I don't believe that will influence the parole board decisions, I think the intention of the legislation was to create consistency between sentences served for similar types of crimes, and consistency about decisions/conditions for early release.

The level of public interest in a case shouldn't be the cause of someone getting off extra early, nor serving an abnormally long sentence compared with very similar crimes that didn't happen to grab headlines, because the abusers didn't have YT channels.

JMO

Personally I was not impressed by the narcissistic speech by RF … I believe she was playing to the future parole board trying to act overly remorseful. I don’t trust her. I felt the brief speech by JH suited her personality - I figured she would remain steadfast in her attempt to not accept blame. In my opinion both of these women should get the maximum sentence allowed in Utah.
It was reported that her husband was in the courtroom crying as she was speaking and began crying when talking about him.
When she spoke about him it was obvious that she figured he's stupid enough to be her buddy while she sits in prison.
So ole' Mama Ruby had her "come to Jesus" thingy when she was handcuffed and thanked the officer who cuffed her.(facepalm)

RF and her spew are reprehensible.

Did RF & JH have an intimate relationship?

‘A Wonderful Mother': Ruby Franke's Parents Speak Out as Judge Locks Up YouTube Mom for Child Abuse​

@7:08 letter from RF's parents and brother.

Last edited:
It was reported that her husband was in the courtroom crying as she was speaking and began crying when talking about him.
When she spoke about him it was obvious that she figured he's stupid enough to be her buddy while she sits in prison.
So ole' Mama Ruby had her "come to Jesus" thingy when she was handcuffed and thanked the officer who cuffed her.(facepalm)

RF and her spew are reprehensible.

Did RF & JH have an intimate relationship?

‘A Wonderful Mother': Ruby Franke's Parents Speak Out as Judge Locks Up YouTube Mom for Child Abuse​

@7:08 letter from RF's parents and brother.

‘A wonderful mother’?? They must have known the crazy stuff she was doing online? Did any of the children feel like they could confide in the grandparents?

Totally not unusual for a parent to take a stand for their children especially as they await sentencing but they had to suspect that the father not living in the home was odd. That implies something was going on.

Utah Board of Pardons and Paroles: bop.utah.gov/
This home page and the entire website is easy to navigate and information is simply and clearly written, so thumbs up for that.

"Board of Pardons and Parole Hearings are public hearings... When the Board is conducting hearings, which are open and available to the public, those hearings are streamed live on the Internet." There's a link at the bottom of the home page.

Bios for the board members are here: bop.utah.gov/board_members/
Board members have relevant backgrounds and advanced degrees.

I am currently catching up on this case...I pretty much only knew that it was yet another instance of "parenting YouTubers" or YouTubers with kids getting arrested for child neglect and/or CSA. Now I'm learning it goes much deeper than that.

What I'm wondering is what were Jodi's childhood and home life like. She clearly has a predilection towards or end goal of cutting the fathers/husbands out of families and brainwashing the women. She also seems to really want to paint the men as sex pests. What happened to cause this in her? This must be daddy issues on steroids or something. I believe evil is both made and born, and I think Jodi was always going to be rotten, but I'm also thinking there was some event that influenced Jodi wanting to attack men specifically.

I'm not at all making excuses for her or trying to paint her as a victim. It is just an armchair psychology ponder.

I am currently catching up on this case...I pretty much only knew that it was yet another instance of "parenting YouTubers" or YouTubers with kids getting arrested for child neglect and/or CSA. Now I'm learning it goes much deeper than that.

What I'm wondering is what were Jodi's childhood and home life like. She clearly has a predilection towards or end goal of cutting the fathers/husbands out of families and brainwashing the women. She also seems to really want to paint the men as sex pests. What happened to cause this in her? This must be daddy issues on steroids or something. I believe evil is both made and born, and I think Jodi was always going to be rotten, but I'm also thinking there was some event that influenced Jodi wanting to attack men specifically.

I'm not at all making excuses for her or trying to paint her as a victim. It is just an armchair psychology ponder.
Good points.
Or maybe her dad treated her mom poorly ?
A plethora of possibilities that created -- or exacerbated -- this woman's tendencies towards brutality !
Omo.

Also wanted to say that the photos of this family seemingly show 'happy' and healthy-looking children.
Just illustrates how pics do not mean much.
Omo.
For a long time, the bits of the parents being abusive and neglectful were very well masked by the children playing the harp and the violin, the super overachiever older daughter pretty much raising the youngest daughter sort of was disguised by the big back to school shopping trips, the cool vacations, etc. And then, the abuse started to become too obvious when Ruby didn't care anymore, I think somewhere in 2020 was the big breaking point for those kids. Once the oldest moved out, everything detriorated very quickly.

My opinion is that if you have kids and a clean house, your kids are being neglected.

Hah!

I might expand that aphorism slightly to "If you have an HD/ 4k-ready house, multiple kids and no daily housecleaning team, and a biz partner who has left a trail of family destruction behind her (including your own) it might be time to rethink your priorities and shut down that "sharenting" YT channel..."

I can’t say for sure that RF and JH had a physical relationship. But I do know RF constantly looked at JH with the adoring eyes of a teenager with her first crush. And I think JH was smart enough to use that to her advantage, whether the relationship was physical or emotional.

Been reading up on this case, read a lot about the Adam Steed saga. I don't see either of them getting out after only four years. I don't think they will serve 60 years (life sentence basically) but both of them ultimately dug their graves a little deeper with the sentencing statements. Ruby will probably get out before Jodi because hers was slightly better. But everything hinges on if they finally understand what they did, consistent showing of remorse, and "good behavior" while locked up. MOO. I also wonder if Jodi will catch any more charges from other cases (we know she's likely getting hit with lots of 'suits).
Just illustrates how pics do not mean much.
Thinking about all the pictures of the Turpen children, though they definitely still retained a "disheveled" vibe in most pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member