UT UT - Reed Jeppson, 15, Salt Lake City, 11 Oct 1964

Guys,

This is the cold case investigator who is working on Reed's case! I wish we could get him as a "Verified Insider" here on Websleuths to have him come here to chat with us and answer our questions!

"Cordon Parks, a cold case investigator for the department said they are interested in talking to his classmates. Jeppson was a sophomore at East High. Parks said if anyone heard something that may be connected to his disappearance, he’d like to talk to them."

Taken from:

Missing in Utah: Reed Jeppson simply vanished Pt. 2 | ABC4 Utah

Even getting Reed's classmates on WS would be great! Anyone who went to school with Reed is going to know him, and know of the family because of their outgoing personalities and the Jeppson's involvement in the community. Have thought with passion about how great it would be to get actual connections on here from Reed's friends! Than they would be able to share what they think happened to him as well.

Satch

Satch,

I have no idea who is assigned to Reed's case. That abc4 broadcast was from December but according to what I found Detective Parks retired back in 2018.

No word back from the moderator either.

Satch,

I have no idea who is assigned to Reed's case. That abc4 broadcast was from December but according to what I found Detective Parks retired back in 2018.

No word back from the moderator either.

Thanks,

Maybe check back with the mod like once a month to see how things are progressing. Or ask how often to check? Best case is someone has reached out to LE, and can answer the questions and address some of the inconsistencies of this case. No news is still good news! If the mod comes back and says, "We can't get an LE insider to come to WS about the case." At least we tried!

If LE can't come to comment, the next step might be friends/classmates of Reed's to let them know about our site. It's a Wensleuths TOS violation to contact family members for reason's of prying and the potential for causing upset to them.

I would love to get the word out to everyone who knew Reed that this site is out here for emotional support and to help bring closure for him! Would love for those who knew Reed to come here and talk about him. I think Reed would be very happy to know that his efforts and love in helping others and contributing to the community will never be forgotten!

Thinking of you, Reed Jeppson.

Satch

Thanks for posting. I think that is the first time that I've read a MSM article that states he had his savings with him (footnote 3). Also, the first mention of a summer home in Montana that I recall.

Did he have plans to meet with someone and buy something with the $60, and met his demise instead?

Thanks for posting. I think that is the first time that I've read a MSM article that states he had his savings with him (footnote 3). Also, the first mention of a summer home in Montana that I recall.

Did he have plans to meet with someone and buy something with the $60, and met his demise instead?
Sup Chart?

I had actually heard about the Jeppson's summer home in Montana before reading the article. Reed had several friends in Utah and Montana as well. This is approximately the second, maybe third article that said Reed had his savings money with him. But, it is also the first article that says he left his paper route money at home. I always thought that Reed's money that was talked about in this case was his paper route money. This is the first time that I heard mention two different funds. (Savings with him and paper route money left at home.)

If what you said above is true Chart, it opens up a whole new possibility of the case. Here is what the value of $60 in 1964 would be worth today. (2022)

Value of $60 from 1964 to 2022
$60 in 1964 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $559.57 today, an increase of $499.57 over 58 years.

What could a teen buy with $60 worth almost $560 today? Can't see a guy with Reed's personality leave and not tell where he was going. Unless someone in the family had a birthday or Dr. and Mrs. Jeppson had their anniversary forthcoming. Therefore, he wanted it to be a surprise. This is where it would be helpful to have family information, if Reed mentioned anything about money or buying something before his disappearance.

If Reed had his saving's account money with him, there had to be a reason. No one would leave the house with money of that high a value for that time without a reason. Do we know from examining the Jeppson's residence to about a half-hour walk any stores that existed back in 1964? Even if there were, Reed would not be able to bring his dogs into a store. If Reed had his savings money with him this could have been business with a friend and something terrible happened on the way to visit the friend, or on the way back home.

Based on the friend's sighting, as inconsistent as that has been in reports, I believe Reed met up with tragedy either at a meet up place, or nearby. Or on the way home from walking the dogs. That is well over the 30 minutes that Reed would have had to have returned to be in time for dinner. Many things could have happened during that time.

I actually read somewhere fairly recently, that someone believes Reed let the dogs run, and the puppy got away from Reed and the adult dog, and either went into a wild animal den or down a mine-shaft or well and couldn't get out. Bears, Coyotes, Cougars, and Mountain Lions are common in Utah, as well as snakes, some are poisonous. I also now think the bones that were found by investigators were from one of Reed's dogs.

Satch

Satch,

Yes, there had to be a reason for Reed to carry that kind of cash while walking his dogs. Foothill Village is a shopping center that has been around since 1954 and is .5 miles to the east located between Reed's house and St Mary's. The issue with Reed going shopping was that it was Sunday, and the Blue Laws were in effect in Salt Lake and no stores would have been open. Any buying would need to be with a private party. That opens the door that is ripe for that false trust you have mentioned in the past. Did someone offer to sell him a nice bird gun to hunt with? A car? It had to be a big-ticket item for him to carry that kind of cash. What would lure a young boy like Reed in?

If stores weren't open, it had to be a private sale of some kind, if that were his intentions for bringing the cash. Not necessarily something illicit, but a good or service he could buy from a person on a Sunday.

I can't remember. Was the adult dog a female? If so, could she have been in heat and he took her some place to breed her, which costs stud fees and usually the pick of the litter? Maybe the puppy he brought along was in lieu of the pick of the litter instead. Then something happened after he got there. Did they check with other GSPs owners/breeders in the area? Out of the area?

Did Greyhound buses run on Sundays in the 60s? If not, is it possible he met up with someone to buy a car and the deal went sour, or he traded the cash and dogs for the car and left town? I know foul play is the most likely scenario, but I can't help but feel he could have also run away now.

Last edited:
If stores weren't open, it had to be a private sale of some kind, if that were his intentions for bringing the cash. Not necessarily something illicit, but a good or service he could buy from a person on a Sunday.

I can't remember. Was the adult dog a female? If so, could she have been in heat and he took her some place to breed her, which costs stud fees and usually the pick of the litter? Maybe the puppy he brought along was in lieu of the pick of the litter instead. Then something happened after he got there. Did they check with other GSPs owners/breeders in the area? Out of the area?

Did Greyhound buses run on Sundays in the 60s? If not, is it possible he met up with someone to buy a car and the deal went sour, or he traded the cash and dogs for the car and left town? I know foul play is the most likely scenario, but I can't help but feel he could have also run away now.
But why would Reed want to run away?

His family being so loving and supportive of him? That would emotionally kill them for the rest of their lives. Not to say that you can't hear and feel the pain of them not knowing what happened to Reed in their voices now of the interviews we have heard. They are devastated at not knowing Reed's fate. The Jeppson's were strong believers of the Mormon faith. I remember reading that in the Mormon faith, you never, ever abandon your family. Family in that religion is almost as strong as the religion itself. The belief of Mormon's is "Families are Forever."

I had completely forgotten about it being a Sunday, when most businesses would be closed in Utah, due to the "Blue Laws" being in effect. i.e (Sunday mandated as "The Lord's Day" a "Day of Rest.")

Satch

But why would Reed want to run away?

His family being so loving and supportive of him? That would emotionally kill them for the rest of their lives. Not to say that you can't hear and feel the pain of them not knowing what happened to Reed in their voices now of the interviews we have heard. They are devastated at not knowing Reed's fate. The Jeppson's were strong believers of the Mormon faith. I remember reading that in the Mormon faith, you never, ever abandon your family. Family in that religion is almost as strong as the religion itself. The belief of Mormon's is "Families are Forever."

I had completely forgotten about it being a Sunday, when most businesses would be closed in Utah, due to the "Blue Laws" being in effect. i.e (Sunday mandated as "The Lord's Day" a "Day of Rest.")

Satch
As mentioned in my post, I'm leaning more heavily toward foul play. Additionally, I also believe there could have been a tragic accident. However, in light of him having what was then a substantial amount of cash on him, on a Sunday, when he couldn't spend it at a retailer, leads me to believe he took it for a specific purpose other than shopping. Why risk taking it with him if he didn't need it? If he wasn't meeting up with someone for a private sale of some kind, then what?

Me thinking the slim chance of him possibly running away, based on the fact he had his savings with him, is in no way meant to diminish or slight the love and support of his family. I'm sorry if it came across in that light. What happened to him, whatever it was, is no indicator that his home life was "less than." There's no doubt he's loved and missed. But I don't think we can't ignore other possibilities, no matter how small. Running away is definitely last on my list.

As to your question, "But why would Reed want to run away?": until minds can be read, or the person can answer for themselves, there's no way to know what anyone is thinking. Just because something makes no sense to us doesn't mean there isn't a valid reason in their mind, no matter how farfetched it appears to us on the outside, looking in.

I truly admire your dedication to and passion for Reed's case.

A question about Savings Accounts?

Assuming that Reed had his $60 in savings with him, wouldn't he as a minor (15 years old) have to have parental consent to withdraw that money? (Parent or guardian would have to co-sign on the account.) Under this premise, one or both of his parents would seemingly know about why Reed wanted to withdraw the money. Remember, this also assumes that this was not his paper route money, which is believed was left at home.

Satch

A question about Savings Accounts?

Assuming that Reed had his $60 in savings with him, wouldn't he as a minor (15 years old) have to have parental consent to withdraw that money? (Parent or guardian would have to co-sign on the account.) Under this premise, one or both of his parents would seemingly know about why Reed wanted to withdraw the money. Remember, this also assumes that this was not his paper route money, which is believed was left at home.
I think having parental permission/signatures on a bank account is a relatively new thing, maybe in the past 20-30 years. I'm definitely sure it wasn't required in the 70s & 80s, at least, not in my state. I know I didn't need my mother's signature or permission to open my first checking account at 16. My part time job only had direct deposit, so I had no choice, really. And I had a small savings account as a kid. I could add/withdraw money from it without my mother's permission. It never had more than 3 or 4 dollars in it. It was some program through school.

I had a savings account in Salt Lake in the early 70's and no parental permission was required to withdraw any money. Since Reed only took part of his money, it must have been earmarked for something specific. I know $60 would buy a car back then but was wondering how much a good gun was and my answer came today watching the Beverly Hillbillies of all things. Mr. Drysdale was bragging about his $1200 imported skeet gun, so some guns were expensive back then. Reed obviously didn't share with his family that he was buying something, perhaps because it was Sunday, or maybe the seller told him to keep it quiet and it would be their "secret." Satch mentioned Reed could have been buying a gift for a family member which is also plausible. Why not tell someone though? Was he lured into a creep's basement under a false premise and subdued?

I had a savings account in Salt Lake in the early 70's and no parental permission was required to withdraw any money. Since Reed only took part of his money, it must have been earmarked for something specific. I know $60 would buy a car back then but was wondering how much a good gun was and my answer came today watching the Beverly Hillbillies of all things. Mr. Drysdale was bragging about his $1200 imported skeet gun, so some guns were expensive back then. Reed obviously didn't share with his family that he was buying something, perhaps because it was Sunday, or maybe the seller told him to keep it quiet and it would be their "secret." Satch mentioned Reed could have been buying a gift for a family member which is also plausible. Why not tell someone though? Was he lured into a creep's basement under a false premise and subdued?
Thanks for sharing Chart!

I love your passion and dedication to Reed's case! Do you still live in the Salt Lake area? it's so cool that you great knowledge of the case and the community at that time. I am so into any new developments in this case. I feel like I knew Reed personally, and want this solved so badly concerning what exactly happened to him?

Satch

Is it possible he didn't tell someone because it was the Sabbath?

Is it possible he didn't tell someone because it was the Sabbath?
That is possible,

The family would frown on any dealings involving controversy. Also, keep in mind with Reed being so extroverted and loved by so many people that maybe he never realized that there are evil people out there with false intentions. Could this kind and gentle soul have been lured into evil? The world in 1964 was a total opposite of what we think about stranger-danger, pedophiles, and bad people in general today in 2022. The friendship bonds of sharing and brotherhood that Reed had with family and friends, in addition to his commitment to helping when needed, shows that he could have been an easy target because of Reed's likeable personality and care about people. That's what makes this case all the more tragic. This of course assumes abduction and murder over an accident or nature danger.

Back in 1964, how much would a teen earn per week if he/she had a paper route? Reed would buy dog food for his dogs with his paper route money. It seems that he shared route duties with his brother Jon.

The family certainly had no issues with money with Reed's Dad being a doctor. They could literally buy anything.

Satch

Thanks for sharing Chart!

I love your passion and dedication to Reed's case! Do you still live in the Salt Lake area? it's so cool that you great knowledge of the case and the community at that time. I am so into any new developments in this case. I feel like I knew Reed personally, and want this solved so badly concerning what exactly happened to him?

Satch
Satch, no, I moved away years ago but went to Clayton Jr High and East High school as did Reed (but 11 years later than Reed), lived on Browning Ave, albeit five blocks west, so the gully, the zoo, Wasatch Ave, Emigration Canyon (where LE searched - I used to ride my bicycle up there), Foothill Village, etc., are my old stomping grounds. Neither my sister nor I had any recollection about St Mary's. I knew nothing about this case while living in Salt Lake (moved away in 87), and still wouldn't except I happened upon Reed's youngest brothers obit last year and saw the mention of Reed's disappearance. I was astounded having never heard anything about it growing up (although I was five when he disappeared and it was a cold case). I had friends from Clayton Jr High that lived close to Reed's house and none of them ever mentioned it. Maybe it was taboo to talk about it but it still strikes me as odd. There had to be chatter in the neighborhood about potential suspects, or maybe parents warned their kids to stay away from Mr. so and so's house because he's a weirdo. I've struck out so far trying to track down my old classmates to see if they remember anything. Maybe I need to go to the next High School reunion and start asking questions.

I'm pretty obsessed with this case also and would like to see the family get some closure. As previously discussed, any suspect would likely be in their late 80's or 90's by now. I don't know if that would open the door for LE to release any information they're sitting on or not.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stoney12
Back