UT -Susan Powell, 28, West Valley City, 6 Dec 2009 - #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do people really think you have to get the permission to search for Susan from the WV police?

I know. That was my exact thought the first time I read it. Would I ever ask the police if I could search for someone? NOPE! I mean, really...

What awful music. I'n not surprised he's alone in the pictures, nobody would book an act like this, so all the shots are taken at home I guess. In the UK there's a comedian called John Shuttleworth who does music like this as part of his act, but that's deliberately bad. I think Steve is serious.

The website is poorly put together and presented IMO. You can listen to the tracks if you must, but it's not pleasant. The story about his childhood is disturbing. I feel so sorry for Susan's two boys being born into the third consecutive broken generation of Powells.

I tried listening to "Missing You", seemed appropriate, maybe something Steve should play to Josh to jog his memory of why he's back home with daddy the "musician". I use the term loosely. I couldn't bear to hear the whole thing, the singing is poor, the backing music annoying.

As for the name change, would you want your real name associated with this cr@p?

Oh, on the "Polished" website there's a spelling mistake in the first paragraph. I wouldn't employ any company that can't even be bothered to use a spell checker.

Thanks, I missed hearing his actual music the first time. Enjoyed your opinions. I say "Close, but no cigar". I just don't like that type of music. I felt like I was stuck on a cruise ship and we were going to form a conga line any minute, or it was bad broadway musical. The experience was just not pleasant.

Do people really think you have to get the permission to search for Susan from the WV police?

Well I don't think I would be arrogant enough to think I know more than LE and family and overstep that request if that's what the family and LE wants. I have no desire to personally be the cause of a potential problem and eventual non prosecution of Josh.

Actually, I just want to clear this up. Kiirsi is NOT the one who got a hold of Josh. She told reporters that first week that Jovonna was the one who finally got through to Josh and talked to him that first Monday afternoon, but the reporter reported it wrong.

So who was the first one to make contact with JP that day and exactly how far out was he from WVC?

Well I don't think I would be arrogant enough to think I know more than LE and family and overstep that request if that's what the family and LE wants. I have no desire to personally be the cause of a potential problem and eventual non prosecution of Josh.

Wait, you mean you think someone really seriously thinks you have to get permission from the police to search for Susan? How could finding Susan's body end up a non prosecution for Josh?

Wait, you mean you think someone really seriously thinks you have to get permission from the police to search for Susan? How could finding Susan's body end up a non prosecution for Josh?

I really don't know the answer to why the cops want people to check in with them, but common sense tells me it might be for two reasons:

1. to prevent people from getting hurt, lost, etc. and causing more harm than good, and
2. to prevent people looking in the same places over and over. If everybody checks in, they can tell you if that spot has been looked over yet. More ground can be covered if everybody looks in a different place.

So who was the first one to make contact with JP that day and exactly how far out was he from WVC?
I think it was reported he was in WVC and just driving around when she got a hold of him and he drove around for another 2 hours before he came home.

I would not describe it as arrogance. When I read what Kiirsi wrote about getting permission from LE, my first thought was, "Well, if they aren't searching then why would I bother to get their "permission"? I haven't even heard anything about them "coordinating" searches. Now, it seems to me that, in order for searches to efficient and effective, someone needs to know where the searches are being held and make recommendations as to where a search is needed. Yet, we have absolutely no indication that LE is taking on that role.

So, if I were to search, I would call LE in the hopes I could find out where they think I should search. Given their apparent unwillingness to coordinate, I wouldn't expect much of a response from them. Then, I would go search - whereever - and report back to them where I had been and what I found. That's just me, though.

Uh hardly. IMO, the family is merely asking people to check with LE first and do this in an organized manner. The interpretation of the word permission is a bit strong. I think maybe since LE is in this business and the rest of us who are not and basically don't know what we'd be doing in our searches, risk a good chance of destroying evidence. In turn, risking the chance of Josh not being prosecuted or being fully prosecuted as harshly as he could be. Do you want to be the one person who screwed that up? I don't. But hey, at least Susan was found!

LE isn't asking for the publics help. Why should we be so arrogant to think they need or want help from people who could screw up their case? Sometimes when people mean well and think they are helping, well they aren't helping.

I agree the word "permission" was probably a poor choice.

I really don't know the answer to why the cops want people to check in with them, but common sense tells me it might be for two reasons:

1. to prevent people from getting hurt, lost, etc. and causing more harm than good, and
2. to prevent people looking in the same places over and over. If everybody checks in, they can tell you if that spot has been looked over yet. More ground can be covered if everybody looks in a different place.

Here is the thing I am talking about. The police would never ever tell anyone or suggest to anyone you had to get permission from them to search for Susan.

It's not just finding Susan - but evidence that may be with or near her. There are professional search and recovery people who know exactly how to handle these matters and who would brief searchers on what to look for or what to do if they were to find anything of interest.

For the most part, family and friends are discouraged from such searches. How would you feel if you came across the remains of a loved one?

What awful music. I'n not surprised he's alone in the pictures, nobody would book an act like this, so all the shots are taken at home I guess. In the UK there's a comedian called John Shuttleworth who does music like this as part of his act, but that's deliberately bad. I think Steve is serious.

The website is poorly put together and presented IMO. You can listen to the tracks if you must, but it's not pleasant. The story about his childhood is disturbing. I feel so sorry for Susan's two boys being born into the third consecutive broken generation of Powells.

I tried listening to "Missing You", seemed appropriate, maybe something Steve should play to Josh to jog his memory of why he's back home with daddy the "musician". I use the term loosely. I couldn't bear to hear the whole thing, the singing is poor, the backing music annoying.

As for the name change, would you want your real name associated with this cr@p?

Oh, on the "Polished" website there's a spelling mistake in the first paragraph. I wouldn't employ any company that can't even be bothered to use a spell checker.

En pointe Bartle. My exact sentiments. There are sooo many typos throughout. What, no editing? Or was that done by JP? Initial thing that caught me was in first paragraph in the "about Steve" section was the term:

unilateral and secretive decision (for Mom)

then...
unilateral and secretive decision (for Dad)

This was used twice on same page, not to mention first page. Thought in the beginning: this guy has a fairly good vocabulary. Then 2 times, and no one caught it? Who's the bigger fool here, the "musician," or Polished Marketing?

Uh hardly. IMO, the family is merely asking people to check with LE first and do this in an organized manner. The interpretation of the word permission is a bit strong. I think maybe since LE is in this business and the rest of us who are not and basically don't know what we'd be doing in our searches, risk a good chance of destroying evidence. In turn, risking the chance of Josh not being prosecuted or being fully prosecuted as harshly as he could be. Do you want to be the one person who screwed that up? I don't. But hey, at least Susan was found!

LE isn't asking for the publics help. Why should we be so arrogant to think they need or want help from people who could screw up their case? Sometimes when people mean well and think they are helping, well they aren't helping.

I read the request the same way you did. If you are searching on behalf of the family they want you to check in with LE, let them know where you are going and check in with them when you get back.

Not only does that LE know where searches have occured and help maintain some semblence of organization, I would guess the family does not want to find out some well intentioned searcher got themselves lost in the woods, got hurt, or became a victim of the temperatures. It is basic hiking safety to let the people who would have to come find you where you are going and when you get back.

I am not seeing this common claim that searching is being discouraged for some sinister reason. I am seeing requests of common sense and the family stating what they would like to see done if you are searching on their behalf.

I am so throughly confused by the deprogramming theory that I can only couch that under a desperate wish for an outcome other than the inevitable one in this case.

moo

It's not just finding Susan - but evidence that may be with or near her. There are professional search and recovery people who know exactly how to handle these matters and who would brief searchers on what to look for or what to do if they were to find anything of interest.

For the most part, family and friends are discouraged from such searches. How would you feel if you came across the remains of a loved one?

But, what if no one else is willing to search? It becomes a risk issue - the risk that an unprofessional/family person finds her vs the risk that no one finds her because no one is looking. I don't know - what would you do?

Here is the thing I am talking about. The police would never ever tell anyone or suggest to anyone you had to get permission from them to search for Susan.

What if people did find the remains and then picked them up and carried them to their truck and drove them to the police station? You and I might know how wrong that is, but would everyone? How about if everyone checks with the police before they go so at the very least the police can remind them that if they find anything at all, just leave it alone and call police right away.

This is not true.

The family was asked not to be involved with searches early on in the Haleigh Cummings cases. We have seen others where LE has said the area in question is too dangerous for inexperienced searchers. There is the issue of private land. But this black and white statement that LE would never suggest who should and shouldn't be searching is just patently false.

En pointe Bartle. My exact sentiments. There are sooo many typos throughout. What, no editing? Or was that done by JP? First thing that caught me was in first paragraph in the "about Steve" section was the term:

unilateral and secretive decision (for Mom)then...

unilateral and secretive decision (for Dad)

This was used TWICE on same page. Thought in the beginning: this guy has a fairly good vocabulary. Then 2 times, and no one caught it? Who's the bigger fool here, the "musician," or Polished Marketing?

IMO these were written in a very deliberate and purposeful manner - by SP

Yeah it is real hard to go look around see a body and call the cops. Let's face it, they aren't doing a real good job finding her and I think they will be happy as heck when Joe Blow does finds her. Quicker the better before evidence is lost.

Yeah it is real hard to go look around see a body and call the cops. Let's face it, they aren't doing a real good job finding her and I think they will be happy as heck when Joe Blow does finds her. Quicker the better before evidence is lost.

But again, the evidence could be ruined if Joe Blow and all his buddies and their cousins do find it! At least the cops could remind them not to touch anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member