UT - Tony & Katherine Butterfield, murdered at home, West Jordan, 18 Apr 2020

Friday, May 29th:
*Preliminary Hearing (@ 11am PT) – UT– Tony (31) & Katherine Crane Butterfield (30) (April 18, 2020, West Jordan, apparent home invasion) – only for *Albert Enoch Johnson (31) wanted (4/20/20) for questioning & arrested (4/22/20 in Stockton, Ca. by U.S. Marshalls) on a fugitive warrant & charged (5/6/20) with 2 counts each of aggravated murder, aggravated burglary, aggravated kidnapping, obstruction of justice & use of a firearm by a restricted person. Held without bail. Salt Lake County
4/24/20 Update: Initial hearing in Stockton, CA. & will remain in a California jail until at least next week as authorities work to bring him back to Utah. Johnson appeared in San Joaquin County, Ca. court Friday afternoon & was appointed a public defender. He remains in custody on a warrant for aggravated murder & is scheduled to be back in court on Monday, 4/27 for an extradition hearing.
4/27/20 Update: Johnson signed a waiver of extradition during his first court hearing since he was arrested near Stockton, Ca., on Tuesday, according to Superior Court of California, County of San Joaquin records. He is due to appear in the same court on May 18 to confirm transportation.
5/6/20 Update: Johnson was extradited back to Utah this week (5/4/20). Johnson was charged in Third District Court with two counts of aggravated murder, aggravated robbery, aggravated kidnapping, aggravated burglary, obstruction of justice and use of a firearm by a restricted person. Court records reveal: Johnson has admitted to killing the Butterfields and that he went to their home to rob them because he 'believed they had money." He woke them up from their sleep and demanded money and then fled. This is aggravated murder case, so it could be death penalty eligible. That is something that prosecutors will have to decide down the road. Salt Lake District Attorney Sim Gill says he won't speculate on if they will or will not pursue the death penalty. No extradition hearing on 5/18.
5/8/20 Update: Made first court appearance for a preliminary hearing via teleconference. Appointed public defender. No plea entered. Next court hearing on 5/29.

*Sina Anne Johnson (29/now 30) arrested (4/20/20) & charged (4/23/20) with 2nd degree obstruction of justice & 3rd degree tampering with evidence. $100K bond. Salt Lake County DA #20007673
The attack on Tony and Katherine took place at the back of the home, police said. Tony was found shot to death in the backyard, Katherine in the back doorway. The couple’s three children – aged four, two, and six months old – were in the home at the time of the murder but are unharmed.

Bumping up for @MsFacetious - was wondering if there might be a court hearing update?

TIA!
coucouy.gif

@Idaho Lynx - don't seem to be getting any response from MsFacetious - and since you've helped me on other Utah cases - was wondering if you can help me on this one.
Last hearing for Albert was 5/29; no info on Sina as yet. In Salt Lake County. I have a case # for Sina - it is 20007673.

TIA!
vil-hello2.gif

edited to add: if there is a birth date for Albert - please let me know. I have Sina's as 5/7/90.

@Idaho Lynx - don't seem to be getting any response from MsFacetious - and since you've helped me on other Utah cases - was wondering if you can help me on this one.
Last hearing for Albert was 5/29; no info on Sina as yet. In Salt Lake County. I have a case # for Sina - it is 20007673.

TIA!
vil-hello2.gif

edited to add: if there is a birth date for Albert - please let me know. I have Sina's as 5/7/90.

Niner: Sorry, I don't think I have helped you on any Utah cases. I cannot access Utah court records.

Im so glad he got caught!! I first heard about this on court tv but because of the virus and cultmom i think it got pushed aside... I hope justice is brought in all shape and form on this one because this couple seemed nice and loving. I cant believe all of this carnage for a few bucks... Smh imo he deserves the death penalty and i dont say that often.

Niner: Sorry, I don't think I have helped you on any Utah cases. I cannot access Utah court records.

Oops - got Utah confused with Idaho.... :rolleyes: yes, I'm getting old! LOL!

I guess I shall tag @MsFacetious again - but she is not popping up on the "tag". I guess she left....

Anyone reading here - can you access Utah court site?? See post #104 for info. TIA!

Ah! Got a google alert!

Wife of man accused in West Jordan double murder pleads guilty to lesser obstructing justice charge

August 3, 2020

WEST JORDAN — The wife of a man accused of a double murder pleaded guilty to an obstruction of justice charge in connection to the crime on Monday, court documents show.

Sina Johnson, 30, pleaded guilty to an attempted obstruction of justice charge for cleaning up her husband’s bloody clothes after he allegedly murdered a young couple on April 18.
[.....]
Sina Johnson’s third-degree felony carries a possibility for a zero to 5-year prison sentence and up to a $5,000 fee, according to court documents filed in 3rd District Court.

However, the prison term was suspended so long as Johnson complies with the terms of her probation. Additionally, she was granted time served for the 102 days she served in the jail.

Sina Johnson was put on a 36-month probation in which she can have no contact with her husband, witnesses, or the victim’s family and cooperates with the state in her husband’s case, among other probationary items.

Ah! Got a google alert!

Wife of man accused in West Jordan double murder pleads guilty to lesser obstructing justice charge

August 3, 2020

WEST JORDAN — The wife of a man accused of a double murder pleaded guilty to an obstruction of justice charge in connection to the crime on Monday, court documents show.

Sina Johnson, 30, pleaded guilty to an attempted obstruction of justice charge for cleaning up her husband’s bloody clothes after he allegedly murdered a young couple on April 18.
[.....]
Sina Johnson’s third-degree felony carries a possibility for a zero to 5-year prison sentence and up to a $5,000 fee, according to court documents filed in 3rd District Court.

However, the prison term was suspended so long as Johnson complies with the terms of her probation. Additionally, she was granted time served for the 102 days she served in the jail.

Sina Johnson was put on a 36-month probation in which she can have no contact with her husband, witnesses, or the victim’s family and cooperates with the state in her husband’s case, among other probationary items.

I can believe this because all they really wanted was her husband and not her.... But to me she got off easy and for her to have a record and get off easy is not fair to say the least for their families and children that have to deal with this aftermath. Even though she said she didnt know what he did until afterwards i highly doubt that.... I know what my man does before he does it...

Friday, August 7th:
*Pretrial Hearing (@ am PT) – UT– Tony (31) & Katherine Crane Butterfield (30) (April 18, 2020, West Jordan, apparent home invasion) – only for *Albert Enoch Johnson (31) wanted (4/20/20) for questioning & arrested (4/22/20 in Stockton, Ca. by U.S. Marshalls) on a fugitive warrant & charged (5/6/20) with 2 counts each of aggravated murder, aggravated burglary, aggravated kidnapping, obstruction of justice & use of a firearm by a restricted person. Held without bail. Court info from 4/24/20 thru 5/6/20 reference post #101 here:

5/8/20 Update: Made first court appearance for a preliminary hearing via teleconference. Appointed public defender. No plea entered. Next court hearing on 5/29. 5/29/20 Update: Pretrial hearing on 8/7/20.

*Sina Anne Johnson (29/now 30) arrested (4/20/20) & charged (4/23/20) with 2nd degree obstruction of justice & 3rd degree tampering with evidence. $100K bond.
The attack on Tony and Katherine took place at the back of the home, police said. Tony was found shot to death in the backyard, Katherine in the back doorway. The couple’s three children – aged four, two, and six months old – were in the home at the time of the murder but are unharmed.
8/3/20 Update: Sina Johnson, 30, pleaded guilty to an attempted obstruction of justice charge for cleaning up her husband’s bloody clothes. Johnson’s third-degree felony carries a possibility for a zero to 5-year prison sentence & up to a $5,000 fee, according to court documents filed in 3rd District Court. However, the prison term was suspended so long as Johnson complies with the terms of her probation. Additionally, she was granted time served for the 102 days she served in the jail. Johnson was put on a 36-month probation in which she can have no contact with her husband, witnesses, or the victim’s family and cooperates with the state in her husband’s case, among other probationary items.

Man charged with murdering West Jordan couple faces new felony

August 7, 2020

WEST JORDAN — A man accused of murdering a West Jordan couple now faces a new felony charge accusing him of committing a separate crime.

Albert Enoch Johnson, 31, of West Jordan, was charged Thursday in 3rd District Court with aggravated robbery, a first-degree felony.

Johnson already faces two counts of aggravated murder, a first-degree felony, for allegedly killing Tony and Katherine Butterfield in their West Jordan home on April 18.

Now police believe they have linked Johnson to an armed robbery at a convenience store seven months earlier.
[.....]
Johnson is scheduled to make an initial appearance in court on his new charges on Friday. His next hearing on the double murder case is scheduled for Aug. 21.

Im so glad he got caught!! I first heard about this on court tv but because of the virus and cultmom i think it got pushed aside... I hope justice is brought in all shape and form on this one because this couple seemed nice and loving. I cant believe all of this carnage for a few bucks... Smh imo he deserves the death penalty and i dont say that often.
I agree with you that this individual deserves the death penalty but Utah is another US state that de facto abolished the capital punishment...
Death penalty in this case would be literally useless.

Friday, August 21st:
*Pretrial Hearing (re murder) (@ am PT) – UT– Tony (31) & Katherine Crane Butterfield (30) (April 18, 2020, West Jordan, apparent home invasion) – for *Albert Enoch Johnson (31) wanted (4/20/20) for questioning & arrested (4/22/20 in Stockton, Ca. by U.S. Marshalls) on a fugitive warrant & charged (5/6/20) with 2 counts each of aggravated murder, aggravated burglary, aggravated kidnapping, obstruction of justice & use of a firearm by a restricted person. Held without bail.
*Charged (8/6/20) with 1st degree felony aggravated robbery.
Court info from 4/24/20 thru 5/6/20 reference post #101 here:

5/8/20 Update: Made first court appearance for a preliminary hearing via teleconference. Appointed public defender. No plea entered. Next court hearing on 5/29. 5/29/20 Update: Pretrial hearing on 8/7/20.
8/7/20 Update: On Sept. 7, three men with guns went into the 7-Eleven, 9657 S. State, & robbed the store of multiple packs of cigarettes & $60 cash. After the robbery, Johnson jumped a fence, got into a gray vehicle and drove off, according to charging documents. Johnson's wife told investigators that her husband drove a gray Toyota Corolla, the charges state. Johnson was charged Thursday in 3rd District Court with aggravated robbery, a first-degree felony. Will face these charges on 8/7/20. Next hearing for double murder on 8/21/20.
*Sina Anne Johnson (29/now 30) – Plead guilty to attempted obstruction of justice for cleaning up her husband’s bloody clothes. third-degree felony carries a possibility for a zero to 5-year prison sentence & up to a $5,000 fee, according to court documents filed in 3rd District Court. However, the prison term was suspended so long as Johnson complies with the terms of her probation. Additionally, she was granted time served for the 102 days she served in the jail. Johnson was put on a 36-month probation in which she can have no contact with her husband, witnesses, or the victim’s family and cooperates with the state in her husband’s case, among other probationary items.

Never mind @Seattle1 - I just got a google alert! Looks like his case is done with!

Man who murdered Utah couple will spend life in prison without parole

October 2, 2020
SALT LAKE CITY (KUTV) — A Utah judge imposed a sentence of life-in-prison without the possibility of parole to a man who killed a West Jordan couple during a home-invasion robbery earlier this year.

Albert Enoch Johnson, 31, accepted a plea agreement from prosecutors that let him avoid the potential for the death penalty in exchange for guilty pleas to two counts of aggravated murder.
https://kutv.com/news/local/man-charged-in-connection-to-double-murder-of-west-jordan-couple

Justice for Tony & Katherine
EjRgjxUVoAA0Xql

Never mind @Seattle1 - I just got a google alert! Looks like his case is done with!

Man who murdered Utah couple will spend life in prison without parole

October 2, 2020
SALT LAKE CITY (KUTV) — A Utah judge imposed a sentence of life-in-prison without the possibility of parole to a man who killed a West Jordan couple during a home-invasion robbery earlier this year.

Albert Enoch Johnson, 31, accepted a plea agreement from prosecutors that let him avoid the potential for the death penalty in exchange for guilty pleas to two counts of aggravated murder.

Justice for Tony & Katherine
EjRgjxUVoAA0Xql

@Niner Well, that was a pleasant surprise. Thank you!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back