VA - 6-YEAR-OLD in custody after shooting teacher, Newport News, Jan 2023 *mom charged* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
How are they doing ?
Are they afraid of going to school, period ?
Some of the classmates of this six year old may even have some ptsd.
Imo.
From the last two school board meetings and the City Council meeting, not good. Parents are petrified, especially since recent incidents delay in notification. Some children did not return. Do not know if they are home schooled, having a visiting teacher or just lost in the system. Moo

<modsnip - off topic>

As far as the six year old, it sounded like his previous actions and threats were largely ignored by (imo) a lazy and uncaring administration.

My guess is that he'll return to school at some time, but maybe to a different public school.

Imagine if he's allowed back into his school or another school, what will he be like when he's 17 ?
If AZ chooses to sue, I think she's well within her rights to take such action.
Imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip - off topic>

As far as the six year old, it sounded like his previous actions and threats were largely ignored by (imo) a lazy and uncaring administration.

My guess is that he'll return to school at some time, but maybe to a different public school.

Imagine if he's allowed back into his school or another school, what will he be like when he's 17 ?
If AZ chooses to sue, I think she's well within her rights to take such action.
Imo.

Will AZ be able to sue anyone "personally" or is that legally possible (and/or financially implausible)??

Will AZ be able to sue anyone "personally" or is that legally possible (and/or financially implausible)??
Good question. ^^^

She may have more success going after her admin. as they were responsible for the six year old once he was on the school campus.
Cannot emphasize this enough, as the teacher should have had a reasonable expectation of her own safety ; and also the children in her classroom as well !
This was so sad and so preventable.
Multiple red flags were thrown by this child.
Imo.

MOD NOTE:

I’ve had to removed entirely too many off topic posts from this thread today.

As a reminder,
This thread is dedicated to the discussion of one particular case; a 6-year-old Virginia boy who shot and wounded his first grade teacher at Rickneck Elementary School in Newport News, Virginia on January 6, 2023.

This is not the place to discuss other school shootings or similar incidents unless LE announces they are related. It’s also not the place for generalized discussion about reformative justice, gun control, politics, etc.

Also, as of this post, no one has been charged in relation to this shooting. NO ONE. Casting blame or bashing certain people surrounding the case doesn’t adhere to our victim friendly policy.

If you have a question or concern use the report feature on any post.

Thanks,
Mad

MOD NOTE:

As a reminder,
This thread is dedicated to the discussion of one particular case; a 6-year-old Virginia boy who shot and wounded his first grade teacher at Rickneck Elementary School in Newport News, Virginia on January 6, 2023.

This is not the place to discuss other school shootings or similar incidents unless LE announces they are related. It’s also not the place for generalized discussion about reformative justice, gun control, politics, etc.

Also, as of this post, no one has been charged in relation to this shooting. NO ONE. Casting blame or bashing certain people surrounding the case doesn’t adhere to our victim friendly policy.

Thanks,
Mad
In light of the fact that no one has been charged in relation to the shooting, and within TOS of course, are we allowed to speculate as to why no charges have been filed yet?

Even though other shootings and similar incidents are considered off-topic, for most of us following here, it's the standard protocol in those other cases that leave everyone here scratching their heads as to the lack of charges in this case.

MOD NOTE:

As a reminder,

Thanks,
Mad
Bbm.
Agreed.
And R.J. needs it's own thread as it's a vast subject.
I have been perusing MSM to find more information about this case and there's only older articles ?
Almost like it's case closed.
Although if the wounded teacher , Ms. Zwern, chooses to bring charges against the school district and/or the parents of the six year old, we may learn more.
This needs to never happen again !
I fear for the youth of today, and even more for the educators who are on the front lines ... and in (at times !) a nearly impossible environment with which to do their jobs.
Imo.

I hope locals (as well as reporters) are writing, emailing, calling Howard Gwynn and letting him know they are "watching and waiting" for him to uphold the law in this case.

I found an interesting article, that may help explain the delay in charges. Realizing also, that this now remains in the hands of the CA.

From the article:

"Authorities have not charged the boy’s parents but have said the gun belonged to his mother. It’s unclear how the boy got the weapon. An attorney for the family, James Ellenson, has said the gun was secured. Drew has previously said the boy’s mother might face charges.

Newport News Commonwealth Attorney Howard Gwynn said detectives handed over three binders worth of information to his office and body-worn camera videos from officers responding to the shooting, The Associated Press reported."

Stop by NNPD FB PAGE, to see if Chat with the Chief was on for today. Nope they've been featuring other officers since the last chat on 2.21. Even the 6pm chat on the 21 was cancelled due to critical event. I did go back several months, this seemed to be a regular event. Hum....
Moo

.....but the gun was "secure".....says the family, per their statement.
Okay? Any questions?? :rolleyes:
Lol and smh
Exactly. ^^^

Well this is just my .02 , no it wasn't.
But let's say it was locked away and unloaded ... what happened after that ?
Just saying.

Abby Zwern could have died.
Another teacher or student could have been killed, easily !!!!
I cannot brush that aside nor take it 'lightly'.
Ugh !
Imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members