VA - 6-YEAR-OLD in custody after shooting teacher, Newport News, Jan 2023 *mom charged* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shows no inexperienced teacher at Richneck Teacher Quality​

Teacher Quality All Schools
Poverty LevelOut-of-Field TeachersInexperienced TeachersOut-of-Field and Inexperienced Teachers
This SchoolMedium Poverty0%0%0%
Division
All Schools10.8%2.8%2.1%
High Poverty15%3.8%3.1%
State
All Schools5.2%5.3%1.1%
High Poverty6.8%5.6%1.5%
Low Poverty3.9%4.5%0.7%

< = A group below state definition for personally identifiable results
- = Not applicable or no data for group
* = Data not yet available

I compared Richneck, to my two local rural divisions. We spend 3.5 times per child what Richneck spends. The difference bring 99% of oir federal and state funding drops to the schools. We have low division overhead.

Richneck is underfunded, below the district, state and way below the federal per child. The district average is 10,862, but Richneck only received 429. per child. State funding was 12, 492. And they only received 916.00.

Looks like the district office is heavily over funded.

Last edited:

Shows no inexperienced teacher at Richneck Teacher Quality​

Teacher Quality All Schools
Poverty LevelOut-of-Field TeachersInexperienced TeachersOut-of-Field and Inexperienced Teachers
This SchoolMedium Poverty0%0%0%
Division
All Schools10.8%2.8%2.1%
High Poverty15%3.8%3.1%
State
All Schools5.2%5.3%1.1%
High Poverty6.8%5.6%1.5%
Low Poverty3.9%4.5%0.7%

< = A group below state definition for personally identifiable results
- = Not applicable or no data for group
* = Data not yet available
Thank you for finding this. I clicked on the "more info" button, and the definition of "inexperienced" is "less than one year of classroom experience." Which means AZ was not a first year teacher. Could have been her 2nd or 3rd year, which is typically "probationary" or "new" teacher. (Link: Richneck Elementary - Virginia School Quality Profiles

I compared Richneck, to my two local rural divisions. We spend 3.5 times per child what Richneck spends. The difference bring 99% of oir federal and state funding drops to the schools. We have low division overhead.

Richneck is underfunded, below the district, state and way below the federal per child. The district average is 10,862, but Richneck only received 429. per child. State funding was 12, 492. And they only received 916.00.

Looks like the district office is heavily over funded.

Does this district qualify as Heavily Impacted?

We live near a large military installation, and the school district receives this. Enough $$$$ to build new buildings.

iirc, this funding can be used to cover special ed & services to students with diagnosed disabilities?

Does this district qualify as Heavily Impacted?

We live near a large military installation, and the school district receives this. Enough $$$$ to build new buildings.

iirc, this funding can be used to cover special ed & services to students with diagnosed disabilities?
Double quote. The numbers from the VA School website are spending per child. So all revenue is combined, regardless of source. Also, part of the difference is in local funding. Example, my county has a 1% meal tax, to help fund schools, in additional to $$ from the county general fund.

Richneck was funded less dollars per child, that my local school system. Rather than equally division of $$ to each school.

I did review NN budget. a book, award worthy. It's very difficult to look at the entire budget, chopped up with flashy programs and achievements. Bet this cost a pretty penny. Moo

Now you done opened a can of worms ...I'm gonna have to call and find the excel Budget,/expenses.

Edited to add its 446. Pages...

What is clear to me, is that this 6 year old boy...in THIS case, is not the one who should have a poster made about "Restorative Justice". The school system failed him, his family failed him, the social workers and psychologists failed him. IMO, he NEVER should have returned to a normal school atmosphere with any other children near him, after he attempted murder by strangulation in Kindergarten the year before. Cut and dried. Full stop.

And sadly, most of the teachers at Richneck more than likely knew it would come to this.

IMO, the cheaper alternative ( School Districts View? ) of letting the parents "accompany him to school " every day, instead of finding him proper placement was the beginning of the disaster that happened on Jan 6. Who was the Brilliant scholar that suggested that?

What is clear to me, is that this 6 year old boy...in THIS case, is not the one who should have a poster made about "Restorative Justice". The school system failed him, his family failed him, the social workers and psychologists failed him. IMO, he NEVER should have returned to a normal school atmosphere with any other children near him, after he attempted murder by strangulation in Kindergarten the year before. Cut and dried. Full stop.

And sadly, most of the teachers at Richneck more than likely knew it would come to this.

IMO, the cheaper alternative ( School Districts View? ) of letting the parents "accompany him to school " every day, instead of finding him proper placement was the beginning of the disaster that happened on Jan 6. Who was the Brilliant scholar that suggested that?

Definitely someone who had no clue about PL 94-142. Schools are responsible for providing services to children with disabilities. Parents are not part of the solution. It is not legal to require Parents to accompany children to school for controlling behavior.

That's why I wondered at the begining if the parent was employed by the school? It's a strange setup unless the school couldn't find trained behavioral staff for him...but one would still assume that anyone working with a student would need to be employed by the school, be covered by liability and workers comp insurance..and have the appropriate background checks. Imho

That's why I wondered at the begining if the parent was employed by the school? It's a strange setup unless the school couldn't find trained behavioral staff for him...but one would still assume that anyone working with a student would need to be employed by the school, be covered by liability and workers comp insurance..and have the appropriate background checks. Imho

Sure does make one wonder...

Sure does make one wonder...
I’ve been wondering that too. Are the parents connected to the school or the school board? It’s just odd that the parent at the Norfolk elementary gets immediately charged and identified after their 6 year old child brings a gun to school but nothing for NN. I know people are saying it’d be so the 6 year old doesn’t get identified but no worries for the Norfolk 6 year old.

I’ve considered the foster care angle but that just perplexes me more. It’d be easier to charge the foster parent as the kid probably couldn’t be connected to them as easily. Unless of course due diligence wasn’t completed and the kid was placed in a bad environment but it’d be rare.

Maybe one day we will learn.

I’ve been wondering that too. Are the parents connected to the school or the school board? It’s just odd that the parent at the Norfolk elementary gets immediately charged and identified after their 6 year old child brings a gun to school but nothing for NN. I know people are saying it’d be so the 6 year old doesn’t get identified but no worries for the Norfolk 6 year old.

I’ve considered the foster care angle but that just perplexes me more. It’d be easier to charge the foster parent as the kid probably couldn’t be connected to them as easily. Unless of course due diligence wasn’t completed and the kid was placed in a bad environment but it’d be rare.

Maybe one day we will learn.
Putting foster children in bad environments happens more than one thinks, especially with teenagers and/or special needs children, because so few people are willing to take them.

The Turpins, anybody?

Today at 12 Noon and 6 pm Newport News COP will be on Facebook ... 'Newport News Police Department' live taking questions. From the comments, Richneck will be a hot topic.

I notice these are monthly but could not find recording from previous Chat with the Chief.
Moo

Today at 12 Noon and 6 pm Newport News COP will be on Facebook ... 'Newport News Police Department' live taking questions. From the comments, Richneck will be a hot topic.

I notice these are monthly but could not find recording from previous Chat with the Chief.
Moo

I have a few questions for the Chief...
Number One....Where are the charges??????
Number Two.....What is the reason for the delay this month?
Number Three...Is there any history of DCFS (or VA equivalent) involvement, or LE involvement with this boy/family prior to this shooting?

Notes crom FB

Briefing a week ago, update to next step last thurs. Now compete, reviewing. Presented at 10 this am to commonwealth attorney.

Its up to CA to review and make decision. CA may consider other factors, may have some reinterviewed.

Asking why so long, individual brought him, witnesses kids, teacher suffered gunshot wound.

Some can't be interviewed.

Looking at cameras, records, interviewed teachers. The numbers of kids, coordinating with parents/attorneys/psychologist, worked weekends evening

Keep repeating aggravated assault and will not rush this. Mentions Human Services and school records. Gets call from all over the county about this.

5th grace student threat over weekend. He ask to clarify what school he had several situations over the weekend.

Moo

Notes crom FB

Briefing a week ago, update to next step last thurs. Now compete, reviewing. Presented at 10 this am to commonwealth attorney.

Its up to CA to review and make decision. CA may consider other factors, may have some reinterviewed.

Asking why so long, individual brought him, witnesses kids, teacher suffered gunshot wound.

Some can't be interviewed.

Looking at cameras, records, interviewed teachers. The numbers of kids, coordinating with parents/attorneys/psychologist, worked weekends evening

Keep repeating aggravated assault and will not rush this. Mentions Human Services and school records. Gets call from all over the county about this.

5th grace student threat over weekend. He ask to clarify what school he had several situations over the weekend.

Moo

Thank you for this info in real time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members