VA - 6-YEAR-OLD in custody after shooting teacher, Newport News, Jan 2023 *mom charged* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
SM Post over the weekend, SRO worked the weekend. Won't address the school. Investigated for the school, provided to school. Had officers there all week.

Spoke with AZ family today, shared same information as here.

Moo..

Notes crom FB

Briefing a week ago, update to next step last thurs. Now compete, reviewing. Presented at 10 this am to commonwealth attorney.

Its up to CA to review and make decision. CA may consider other factors, may have some reinterviewed.

Asking why so long, individual brought him, witnesses kids, teacher suffered gunshot wound.

Some can't be interviewed.

Looking at cameras, records, interviewed teachers. The numbers of kids, coordinating with parents/attorneys/psychologist, worked weekends evening

Keep repeating aggravated assault and will not rush this. Mentions Human Services and school records. Gets call from all over the county about this.

5th grace student threat over weekend. He ask to clarify what school he had several situations over the weekend.

Moo

I have a question for you, regarding the BBM statement.
WHO ( of the someone) cannot be interviewed? Do you recall that part of his Q&A?

I wonder if one, or both of the parents, of the six year old are law enforcement officers.
I had the same thought almost immediately after this case broke but, the anti-cop sentiment in our culture is such that, if that were the case, the identity of the parents would have already been plastered all over social media at least, and then picked up by MSM by now. I don't follow cases (usually) on SM so I have no idea if this has already happened but MSM has certainly not picked up on it. Total speculation of course.

Chief Drew confirmed this during his “Chat with the Chief” on social media Tuesday morning. Chief Drew said the investigation was presented to the commonwealth’s attorney Tuesday.

He said he got a case update last Thursday that the detectives have completed their investigation; they’ve completed their interviews.

The Commonwealth’s Attorney’s Office will review the case and determine whether or not to file any charges.

Don't see now this will help. The 6 yo hit a teacher at lunch, the day of shooting. She reported to Security Officer.

The Security Officer WAS on duty at Richneck and had NO involvement with the 6 yo, when a gun was reported 4 times.

MOO....Another tactic to control, the message. Security Guards have limited training, no authority and basically door greeters.

• Add security officers in every school
  • Will partner with the Newport News Police Department for an Adopt an Officer lunch program
  • Will hire a Director of Safe Schools
  • Will purchase 12 additional metal detectors for specialized schools, Todd Stadium and for spares
  • Weapon Detections System is scheduled to rollout by March 14.

Only allow police in school, if a threat. WTH.....Are they at war with NNPD, afraid of what maybe found, who are they protecting?

Doesn't sound like transparency to me. No wonder citizens are still afraid.

They also say Newport News sheriff's deputies will be present at arrival and dismissal at many schools.

Newport News police officers will have access to cameras and buildings via key-card swipe, but only if there is a threat.

The board also says they are in the process of creating three committees comprised of staff and parents: The Family Engagement Advisory Committee, the School Safety Advisory, and the Rights and Responsibilities Advisory Committee. The deadline to apply is March 3 at 5 p.m.

I watched the February NNSB meeting live last night on youtube. There were quite a few speakers, mainly parents and teachers in the district. They voiced their concerns, most were repeats of last months meeting. After all the speakers were finished, the board brought out a few speakers who came equipped with slide presentations etc, showing the plans for possible future implementations regarding the 'situations' the schools are facing.

What I saw, was a clear indication ( to me ) that the expectations of teachers will even increase beyond what they are doing and dealing with now. The 'education' of teachers will be improved and enhanced, so that they may handle the behavioral and mentally challenged students with a 'better understanding'. In a round about way, this was a verbal slap (abuse? ) to Abby Zwerner and all teachers.

Unfortunately, what was not addressed was if the teachers will ever be equipped with Ninja classes, SWAT team certifications, Karate or martial arts, or Heaven forbid...Hostage Negotiating 101.

Newport News Schools seem almost like a war zone to me.

I watched the February NNSB meeting live last night on youtube. There were quite a few speakers, mainly parents and teachers in the district. They voiced their concerns, most were repeats of last months meeting. After all the speakers were finished, the board brought out a few speakers who came equipped with slide presentations etc, showing the plans for possible future implementations regarding the 'situations' the schools are facing.

What I saw, was a clear indication ( to me ) that the expectations of teachers will even increase beyond what they are doing and dealing with now. The 'education' of teachers will be improved and enhanced, so that they may handle the behavioral and mentally challenged students with a 'better understanding'. In a round about way, this was a verbal slap (abuse? ) to Abby Zwerner and all teachers.

Unfortunately, what was not addressed was if the teachers will ever be equipped with Ninja classes, SWAT team certifications, Karate or martial arts, or Heaven forbid...Hostage Negotiating 101.

Newport News Schools seem almost like a war zone to me.

I watched about 10 mins into the extension of public comment. Its sickening, teachers, parents begging while the Chairperson smiles and calls the next one. I had to break away when the teacher spoke of the father of a student killed attending a meeting and the way the SB treated him. They didn't even know the father or child's name that was killed. OMG!!!

Why do they continue to work for this school system or send children to NN schools. It's clearly a waste of time speaking to this group.

I know, I'd be on a street corner collecting signatures of registered voters to recall my SB rep.

Seeing the SB in action makes me ill.

All my opinion ...

As someone who works in the mental health field in VA, things have just been “messy” since the shooting incident. The schools hands are tied with what they can do but us in the mental health field are so limited by red tape and insurance.

People are just not okay . The impacts of the pandemic is definitely showing in the little kids.

I watched about 10 mins into the extension of public comment. Its sickening, teachers, parents begging while the Chairperson smiles and calls the next one. I had to break away when the teacher spoke of the father of a student killed attending a meeting and the way the SB treated him. They didn't even know the father or child's name that was killed. OMG!!!

Why do they continue to work for this school system or send children to NN schools. It's clearly a waste of time speaking to this group.

I know, I'd be on a street corner collecting signatures of registered voters to recall my SB rep.

Seeing the SB in action makes me ill.

All my opinion ...

Exactly!
The school board acts blindly, just as the Assistant Principal did...with her " He has small pockets'' comment.
They really could care less what the teachers and parents have to say. And, sadly it shows on the video. Someone needs to motivate for change there, and soon.

My heart breaks for the parents and students. Can you imagine trying to work, being on pins and needles. I can't imagine how terrified the kids are.

– A Woodside High School parent said it was a scary morning knowing her twin boys were not far from a student with a gun.
“My son had started texting me and letting me know there was a lockdown at the school because there was a gun at the school,” she said.

Hudson said she couldn’t hold it together.

“I am freaking out,” she said.
“This is inside the school. A kid got a gun inside the school,” Hudson said.

She thought students were regularly going through metal detectors, but her sons say otherwise.
They don’t even use the metal detectors that they have,” Hudson said. “So if my kids come to a basketball game at night, they have to walk through a metal detector to get in the gym, but if they come to school every day like they do they never walk through a metal detector…

@shotgun09 A teachers mentioned at the SB meeting, they had 90k in metal detectors that weren't being used.

Excellent, rather long, explains the entire process..
I get the feeling he is preparing us for no charges.

He said it’s likely the police department has been consulting with Gwynn on things like search warrants, document seizures and who to interview.

“The next thing that’s going to happen is he’s going to go over this investigation very thoroughly,” Bryant said, “looking for anything that he would like to perhaps have re-done, followed up on, interviews that he would like to know if they did or didn’t do, what the forensic reports are, to the extent that matters in a case like this.”

Bryant said, ultimately, what the Commonwealth’s Attorney is going to be looking for is whether or not this evidence comes to a level to enable a conviction in a criminal case.
“It’s highly unlikely that any Commonwealth’s Attorney is going to authorize a charge on a 6-year-old in these circumstances because the law is pretty clear about a 6-year-old being capable of forming criminal intent,” Bryant said. “There are some other things that could be done, such as petitions for a child in need of services. Then the juvenile court would take over determining the custody and that sort of thing with the child that age.”

But they’ll likely be looking at how the child got access to the weapon.

“I find it interesting that no one has been charged yet,” Bryant said. “In other words, it hasn’t been so clear to the police that they could get a warrant to charge somebody in this case,” said Bryant. “They’re waiting until the Commonwealth’s Attorney makes a determination as to whether or not there’s a sufficient evidence to charge a criminal case here.”
“Virginia provides that its a Class 1 misdemeanor to leave a loaded unsecure gun where a child can get that gun,” Bryant said. “There’s also a provision, a Class 1 misdemeanor again, about authorizing a child to have a gun under the age of 12 and then there’s always contributing to the delinquency of a minor, which is a pretty broad charge, also a misdemeanor that the Commonwealth’s Attorney will be looking to see if the evidence would be sufficient to prove beyond a reasonable doubt.
“I just hope the public understands when he announces his decision that there either was or wasn’t sufficient evidence to prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt,” Bryant said. “Because it’s a violation of our ethics as Commonwealth’s Attorneys to charge a case where we don’t have the evidence to prove it.”

But they’ll likely be looking at how the child got access to the weapon.

“I find it interesting that no one has been charged yet,” Bryant said. “In other words, it hasn’t been so clear to the police that they could get a warrant to charge somebody in this case,” said Bryant. “They’re waiting until the Commonwealth’s Attorney makes a determination as to whether or not there’s a sufficient evidence to charge a criminal case here.”
“Virginia provides that its a Class 1 misdemeanor to leave a loaded unsecure gun where a child can get that gun,” Bryant said. “There’s also a provision, a Class 1 misdemeanor again, about authorizing a child to have a gun under the age of 12 and then there’s always contributing to the delinquency of a minor, which is a pretty broad charge, also a misdemeanor that the Commonwealth’s Attorney will be looking to see if the evidence would be sufficient to prove beyond a reasonable doubt.
“I just hope the public understands when he announces his decision that there either was or wasn’t sufficient evidence to prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt,” Bryant said. “Because it’s a violation of our ethics as Commonwealth’s Attorneys to charge a case where we don’t have the evidence to prove it.”

I think you may be correct, about preparing the public for hearing there will be no charges, based on there not being sufficient evidence to prove a criminal case. We know from the parent(s) statement through their attorney that they claim to practice safe gun ownership, had the gun secured, etc. I have to wonder then, if when the home was searched, interviews done, etc., they discovered there was in fact a gun lock, possibly jimmied, the parent(s) had some sort of firearms safety course certificates or any other variety of evidence like this that actually confirms what they said in their statement, instead of disproving it.

They may still be considered victims here due to TOS but even if not legally liable they're still ethically and morally accountable for their kid having access to a loaded gun and shooting someone with it. I don't think any of us will be surprised to learn eventually that these parents are named in a civil case, if not a criminal one.

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member