VA - 6-YEAR-OLD in custody after shooting teacher, Newport News, Jan 2023 *mom charged* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doing a brief search, I discovered the Virginia Risk Sharing Association for schools, and I saw Newport News IDA/EDA mentioned. School board liability coverage, school risk assessments, and other important topics are mentioned on the website. Since you're local, I was wondering if you know anything about the VRSA and what involvement they may have with the school board and Richneck (if any)?

VRSA For Schools – VRSA

Your school division has insurance, but does your school division have coverage?

It’s important to understand exclusions and coverage gaps. VRSA’s school officials’ liability coverage is tailored toward school divisions and their governing officials to provide the broadest protections. Our coverage includes no mandatory deductibles, member cost sharing items, or primary aggregates.

Richneck is mentioned here:

https://www.vrsa.us/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/VRSA_CAFR_18-19_-FINAL.pdf

2021 annual report PDF (there are also additional annual reports available on the website)

https://www.vrsa.us/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/2021-Annual-Report.pdf
Can you point me to where Richneck was referenced? I scanned the 2020 report but did not read every detail, could not find Richneck.

This appears to be VA government entities that participates in a pool for insurance offerings and risk products. Looks similar to an insurance broker, offering auto, general liability, workman comp , for pooled risk.

My county does not participate. I do recognize several that are members. Newport News School is listed as a member.

The pool does not list what products each member purchased.

Very interesting Richneck listed.

Can you point me to where Richneck was referenced? I scanned the 2020 report but did not read every detail, could not find Richneck.

This appears to be VA government entities that participates in a pool for insurance offerings and risk products. Looks similar to an insurance broker, offering auto, general liability, workman comp , for pooled risk.

My county does not participate. I do recognize several that are members. Newport News School is listed as a member.

The pool does not list what products each member purchased.

Very interesting Richneck listed.

My mistake... I typed "Richneck" but meant "Newport". I, like you, only saw Newport News listed NOT Richneck.

It seems Newport News took advantage of these insurance offerings thus Richneck Elementary should have been a part as well, or no?

The reason I ask is simply to understand who may or may not be "on the hook" financially in any legal findings, etc.

Last edited:
My mistake... I typed "Richneck" but meant "Newport". I, like you, only saw Newport News listed NOT Richneck.

It seems Newport News took advantage of these insurance offerings thus Richneck Elementary should have been a part as well, or no?

The reason I ask is simply to understand who may or may not be "on the hook" financially in any legal findings, etc.
Moo...I doubt NNPS has liability insurance with this agency. The fund is limited. Most claims are for auto and workman comp. They do not actually cover the workman comp, but serve in a case management of the claims to reduce liability to the licensed insurance company.

The fund also provides products/services for law enforcement, public service authorities [utilities for city or county's providing gas, water, electric services], and risk management.

I also, went a step further and checked all past and pending lawsuits for NNPS and NNPSB, this agency is not listed as a defendant in any claims past or present.

If NNPS posts there yearly expenses, I could probably determine what they are purchasing. It would be in the line item expenses with a GL code for the dept/service rendered. I did locate the budget. A beautiful award winning document with general categories, no detail.

The fund is not very large, moo.

All my opinion

Moo...I doubt NNPS has liability insurance with this agency. The fund is limited. Most claims are for auto and workman comp. They do not actually cover the workman comp, but serve in a case management of the claims to reduce liability to the licensed insurance company.

The fund also provides products/services for law enforcement, public service authorities [utilities for city or county's providing gas, water, electric services], and risk management.

I also, went a step further and checked all past and pending lawsuits for NNPS and NNPSB, this agency is not listed as a defendant in any claims past or present.

If NNPS posts there yearly expenses, I could probably determine what they are purchasing. It would be in the line item expenses with a GL code for the dept/service rendered. I did locate the budget. A beautiful award winning document with general categories, no detail.

The fund is not very large, moo.

All my opinion

Thank you for spending the time to research this. 'Sorry it wasn't an idea worth the time :(

ETA: I guess that is why there is no additional info provided in this article about the 2021 Heritage High shooting (which mentions VRSA). I wonder about any lawsuits related to that case as doesn't seem they could be found when this article was written (2/17/2023)?! Strange.

Newport News Public Schools and others failed to keep students safe in 2021 Heritage shooting, student claims

Last edited:
Thank you for spending the time to research this. 'Sorry it wasn't an idea worth the time :(

ETA: I guess that is why there is no additional info provided in this article about the 2021 Heritage High shooting (which mentions VRSA). I wonder about any lawsuits related to that case as doesn't seem they could be found when this article was written (2/17/2023)?!

Newport News Public Schools and others failed to keep students safe in 2021 Heritage shooting, student claims
Oh no, it's a good find. Very interesting information, especially how they manage workman comp, to reduce, mitigate the outlay of funds.

I feel, AZs shooting injuries would be covered under workman comp. Wonder if, she will be required to return to school, at some point?

I'm still searching for a line item expenses, which is required to be available in a monthly basis, to the public.

Clearly NNPS is obtaining some type of product.

Last edited:
Do these help?? Maybe there is more recent??

Fiscal year ending 6/30/2022
https://sbo.nn.k12.va.us/budget/documents/ACFR.pdf

https://sbo.nn.k12.va.us/budget/documents/CAFR.pdf

And, one more link - NNPS/VRSA 2020 contract - includes Legal Liability (I didn't note the contract end date)

https://sbo.nn.k12.va.us/purchasing/awarded/RFP016-0-2020-AZ-VRSA.pdf
Yes, the budgets give an overview of expenses, but not enough detail to determine what company funds are paid to. NNPS budget is very general. Moo

Do these help?? Maybe there is more recent??

Fiscal year ending 6/30/2022
https://sbo.nn.k12.va.us/budget/documents/ACFR.pdf

https://sbo.nn.k12.va.us/budget/documents/CAFR.pdf

And, one more link - NNPS/VRSA 2020 contract - includes Legal Liability (I didn't note the contract end date)

https://sbo.nn.k12.va.us/purchasing/awarded/RFP016-0-2020-AZ-VRSA.pdf
Great find !!! This is the RFP for general liability!!!

I posting from the PDF VRSA request for coverage. The response for the coverage is confidential.

Here is what they are requesting a quote on for general liability. Although we don’t know the carrier or the exact coverage I would assume this is the coverage they obtained. I would assjme the to the high dollars, VRSA would broker rhe coverage out to the most affordable insurance carrier. I dont think a self insured fund could cover multiple claims for these amounts per incident, especially in a mass shooting.

1,000,000 Limit Premises/Operations Liability - Any One Occurrence
$1,000,000 Limit Personal or Advertising Injury – Any One Person or Organization $1,000,000 Limit Products/Completed Operations – Any One Occurrence
“NO” General Aggregate
“NO” Products/Completed Operations Aggregate
$10,000 Limit Medical Expense – Each Person
$1,000,000 Limit Damage to Premises Rented to You – Any One Fire
$1,000,000 Limit Employee Benefits – Each Claim / “No” Aggregate
$1,000,000 Limit School Violent Acts Liability – Each Occurrence/Aggregate

Last edited:
Great find !!! This is the RFP for general liability!!!

I posting from the PDF VRSA request for coverage. The response for the coverage is confidential.

Here is what they are requesting a quote on for general liability. Although we don’t know the carrier or the exact coverage I would assume this is the coverage they obtained. I would assjme the to the high dollars, VRSA would broker rhe coverage out to the most affordable insurance carrier. I dont think a self insured fund could cover multiple claims for these amounts per incident, especially in a mass shooting.

1,000,000 Limit Premises/Operations Liability - Any One Occurrence
$1,000,000 Limit Personal or Advertising Injury – Any One Person or Organization $1,000,000 Limit Products/Completed Operations – Any One Occurrence
“NO” General Aggregate
“NO” Products/Completed Operations Aggregate
$10,000 Limit Medical Expense – Each Person
$1,000,000 Limit Damage to Premises Rented to You – Any One Fire
$1,000,000 Limit Employee Benefits – Each Claim / “No” Aggregate
$1,000,000 Limit School Violent Acts Liability – Each Occurrence/Aggregate

I'm wondering how many large and small Virginia entities have contracts with VRSA as brokers. I think it's all interesting if nothing else. Citizens need to know where and how their money is being spent... especially regarding public schools.

I'm wondering how many large and small Virginia entities have contracts with VRSA as brokers. I think it's all interesting if nothing else. Citizens need to know where and how their money is being spent... especially regarding public schools.
The membership list members. I would assume many request insurance quotes, utilize risk management service, and other products. According to the VRSA Annual report, auto and workman comp. are the largest expenditures. Income is from dues, programs they sell, commission on policies sold and premiums for self insurances policies.

I wish more individuals were involved with how school boards spend funds. It does require a little digging and understanding of accounting. Federal and some state funds have mandates and accountability, general funds from the local government have less restrictions.

I'm a numbers, regulatory person, and I ask questions at my SB meeting. Like why are we spending 380.00 per week in catered lunch for a principles meeting, with county funds?

I do hope the school is fully covered. I am sure the cost associated with this incident are extensive, many will seek damages.
Moo...

The membership list members. I would assume many request insurance quotes, utilize risk management service, and other products. According to the VRSA Annual report, auto and workman comp. are the largest expenditures. Income is from dues, programs they sell, commission on policies sold and premiums for self insurances policies.

I wish more individuals were involved with how school boards spend funds. It does require a little digging and understanding of accounting. Federal and some state funds have mandates and accountability, general funds from the local government have less restrictions.

I'm a numbers, regulatory person, and I ask questions at my SB meeting. Like why are we spending 380.00 per week in catered lunch for a principles meeting, with county funds?

I do hope the school is fully covered. I am sure the cost associated with this incident are extensive, many will seek damages.
Moo...

VRSA had a booth at the last Virginia School Board Assoc convention... along with a bunch of other companies, of course.

And, their site says "Three of VRSA’s first five members were school divisions – and they remain members today, more than 40 years later. More than 300,000 students in Virginia attend school divisions covered by VRSA.

I don't think I realized how long VRSA had been in business. And, that VRSA is involved in many non-disclosure settlements. From what I read there was a lawsuit regarding FOIA - info not being released to the public regarding a Virginia city employee... not sure what the end result might have been.

Last edited:

Some days are not so good days, where I can't get up out of bed. Some days are better than others, where I'm able to get out of bed and make it to my appointments," said Zwerner, 25, with her left hand bandaged after a recent fourth surgery to help a bone that was severely damaged.

Watch "TODAY" on Tuesday at 7 a.m. ET.
[...]
The physical scars are healing, she said, including a wound on the side of her body where doctors inserted a chest tube after her lung collapsed.

She said in an interview with NBC News on Monday that she still doesn't have full function of her left hand, making the most simple tasks, such as making a fist, opening a water bottle and getting dressed, extremely difficult. She said her doctors are still uncertain about whether she will be able to use her hand like before.

"Physical therapy is not only physically exhausting but mentally exhausting as well. I'm supposed to be moving them once every hour, throughout the hour," she said of her fingers, "just manipulating them to get that blood flowing and to get that movement back into the hand."

Newport News prosecutor Howard Gwynn told NBC News earlier this month that the boy, despite being able to be charged, would not face and charges.

'Our objective is not just to do something as quickly as possible,' Gwynn said.

'Once we analyze all the facts, we will charge any person or persons that we believe we can prove beyond a reasonable doubt committed a crime,' he continued.

AZ's attorney stated she will be filing the lawsuit within 2 weeks (which will be about 3 months since the child shot Abby). I wonder if we will see any additional info come from the AG's office during this 2 week time period??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken