VA- 6-YEAR-OLD is in custody after shooting teacher

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm kinda hung up on, ""but the administration could not be bothered".

What is odd, Richneck is the only school with an Administrator. All others are Principals, even the spreadsheet heading. This was recently changed when the Principal was transferred.

Hmmm.... isn't that interesting!

I’m curious how many “school administrators” work at an elementary school besides the principal and assistant principal, who resigned? Back in the dark ages when my husband taught at two different elementary schools, the only “administrator” on campus was the principal. So if Mrs. Newton, the principal, wasn’t told about the gun, who were the “administrators” (plural) who were told? And why didn’t they tell Mrs. Newton? Regardless of who knew about the gun (administrator or not), they apparently didn’t feel the need to report that to Mrs. Newton. Why not? There was a break-down in crucial communication, and the “buck stops” with Mrs. Newton as the principal. I hope she’s not the only one relieved of her duties. Anyone who brushed off the reports needs to go. A hard, but necessary lesson.
JMO

ETA: Corrected to mention the assistant principal who resigned.
Some schools have two assistant principals if it’s a large school and there are a lot of discipline problems. Another administrator could be a guidance counselor. Beyond that, I don’t have any ideas.

Just an educated guess and MOO

I'm kinda hung up on, ""but the administration could not be bothered".

What is odd, Richneck is the only school with an Administrator. All others are Principals, even the spreadsheet heading. This was recently changed when the Principal was transferred.

Interesting. I’m not sure whether I’m splitting hairs about titles or is “administrators” and “administration” a generic term for those “in charge.” I wonder if the new person in the position of principal was moved from an assignment as an “Administrator” elsewhere in the school district.

Some schools have two assistant principals if it’s a large school and there are a lot of discipline problems. Another administrator could be a guidance counselor. Beyond that, I don’t have any ideas.

Just an educated guess and MOO

That’s certainly possible. My husband retired over 20 years ago and times change.

Looks like the mother of the child could still face charges.
She could, depending on where this investigation leads, for sure. But that article is almost a month old.

In one, sent three days after the shooting, a Newport News Public Schools employee wrote in an email to the school board, “Dr. Parker and his senior staff seem to want to put the blame on guns. But if the issue is only guns, then why has NNPS been the only school district to have three shootings in 15 months? The answer can be found in Dr. Parker’s leadership…students are allowed back in our schools who clearly present a danger.”

The letter claims there is “a culture of keep it hidden or you get in trouble.”

So, we are left with the assumption that the Assistant Principal (Ebony Parker - who resigned) was the one who was aware that day?

However, I wonder if the principal was aware of other warnings/threats of harm to the teacher PRIOR to the day of the shooting?? Obviously, threats are important.

jmo
They probably tried to get word directly to the principal but were told, "She's in a meeting and can't be disturbed." I just don't believe that no one attempted to notify the school leader.

She could, depending on where this investigation leads, for sure. But that article is almost a month old.

The worst thing about that article (and all of the CNN reports on this case) is that their writers keep referring to the child as the "alleged" shooter. I guess they missed the LE press conference.

The worst thing about that article (and all of the CNN reports on this case) is that their writers keep referring to the child as the "alleged" shooter. I guess they missed the LE press conference.
I suspect because he hasn't been found guilty in a court of law there's a legal reason they can't write it without putting that qualifier in there.

MOO

For years there have been parents across the country (including Virginia) who have been charged with a felony for neglect and/or endangerment because their children shot themselves or others with a firearm. In at least one case, I'm not even sure it was known (or at least it was unknown to news reporters at the time) as to how the child accessed the gun... but still the mother was arrested and charged. The thing about this case is... the danger in the classroom was even greater as the child could have continued on harming other children and adults. The psychological damage done to those children who saw Ms Zwarner shot cannot be treated with a kiss and a BandAid. This was a very serious "intentional" shooting by a child who brought that weapon from his home to serve his purpose.

Last edited:
It's entirely possible that all those responsible will not face charges. And, if they don't, I feel it would be a huge error on the side of lawmakers AND will send a very frightening message to students, parents, and especially public school teachers across the country.

jmo

13News Now obtained documents from the school division through a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request. In our request, we asked for emails between Zwerner and school administrators regarding behavioral reports and concerns about the boy who fired the shot.
The documents include dozens of emails between Zwerner and school administrators throughout the school year.

In an email thread on Nov. 22, Zwerner informed then-Principal Briana Foster-Newton and then-Assistant Principal Dr. Ebony Parker of two incidents with the boy inside her classroom.
She said the boy stuck up his middle finger to a classmate on Oct. 11, and a month later on Nov. 11, she said the boy bumped "into a classmate while running around the class" and then pushed the classmate to the ground.

"As of today, I do not feel comfortable with him returning to my classroom today..." Zwerner wrote in the email.
In another Nov. 22 email, Parker suggests scheduling a conference with the boy's dad to discuss "behavioral difficulties" and "put some things in place to support" the boy.

13News Now obtained documents from the school division through a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request. In our request, we asked for emails between Zwerner and school administrators regarding behavioral reports and concerns about the boy who fired the shot.
The documents include dozens of emails between Zwerner and school administrators throughout the school year.

In an email thread on Nov. 22, Zwerner informed then-Principal Briana Foster-Newton and then-Assistant Principal Dr. Ebony Parker of two incidents with the boy inside her classroom.
She said the boy stuck up his middle finger to a classmate on Oct. 11, and a month later on Nov. 11, she said the boy bumped "into a classmate while running around the class" and then pushed the classmate to the ground.

"As of today, I do not feel comfortable with him returning to my classroom today..." Zwerner wrote in the email.
In another Nov. 22 email, Parker suggests scheduling a conference with the boy's dad to discuss "behavioral difficulties" and "put some things in place to support" the boy.

Poor Abby

Poor Abby
All my humble opinion...

Yes, many spoke up, Abby begged for help. Many tried to help her and the children in her class that day.

I am glad the media obtained the emails. It's clear to me, the principal and assistant were aware of disciple problems.

From what I've learned, which is very little of the full story, NNSB just needs to write 'the check', and save the attorney fees.

I have called everyone from my local rep, DOE, the governor and more, expressing concern in the unsafe conditions in our schools. These are children adults are task with protecting.
Moo

Wow, the state recognizes Abby. She is a true hero.

WHEREAS, Abigail Zwerner, an educator at Richneck Elementary School in Newport News, demonstrated her devotion to the safety of her students during a school shooting in January 2023; and

WHEREAS, Abigail “Abby” Zwerner graduated from James Madison University in 2019 and earned a master’s degree from James Madison University’s College of Education the following year; and

WHEREAS, Abby Zwerner hails from a family of educators and teaches first grade at Richneck Elementary School, where she is highly admired by her colleagues for her enthusiasm in and out of the classroom and her passion for lifelong learning; and

WHEREAS, on January 6, 2023, Abby Zwerner sustained injuries to her hand and chest when she was shot while teaching class; and

WHEREAS, despite life-threatening injuries, Abby Zwerner ushered her students to safety in another room and was the last person to exit the classroom where the shooting took place; no students were injured; and

WHEREAS, Abby Zwerner then alerted the school administrator to call for assistance; she subsequently received care and has begun recovering from her injuries; now, therefore, be it

RESOLVED by the Senate of Virginia, That Abigail Zwerner hereby be commended for her heroic actions during a school shooting incident at Richneck Elementary School in January 2023; and, be it

RESOLVED FURTHER, That the Clerk of the Senate prepare a copy of this resolution for presentation to Abigail Zwerner as an expression of the Senate of Virginia’s admiration for her courage and dedication to the safety of her students.

Wow, the state recognizes Abby. She is a true hero.

WHEREAS, Abigail Zwerner, an educator at Richneck Elementary School in Newport News, demonstrated her devotion to the safety of her students during a school shooting in January 2023; and

WHEREAS, Abigail “Abby” Zwerner graduated from James Madison University in 2019 and earned a master’s degree from James Madison University’s College of Education the following year; and

WHEREAS, Abby Zwerner hails from a family of educators and teaches first grade at Richneck Elementary School, where she is highly admired by her colleagues for her enthusiasm in and out of the classroom and her passion for lifelong learning; and

WHEREAS, on January 6, 2023, Abby Zwerner sustained injuries to her hand and chest when she was shot while teaching class; and

WHEREAS, despite life-threatening injuries, Abby Zwerner ushered her students to safety in another room and was the last person to exit the classroom where the shooting took place; no students were injured; and

WHEREAS, Abby Zwerner then alerted the school administrator to call for assistance; she subsequently received care and has begun recovering from her injuries; now, therefore, be it

RESOLVED by the Senate of Virginia, That Abigail Zwerner hereby be commended for her heroic actions during a school shooting incident at Richneck Elementary School in January 2023; and, be it

RESOLVED FURTHER, That the Clerk of the Senate prepare a copy of this resolution for presentation to Abigail Zwerner as an expression of the Senate of Virginia’s admiration for her courage and dedication to the safety of her students.
The victim sounds exactly like the type of teachers school administrators should be supporting. Rather than just ignoring the escalating behavior issues that she identified.

That is the function of a school administrator, to support teachers who have reached out for assistance with students who have behavior issues that disrupt the academic environment for other children.

A 6-year-old Virginia boy who shot and wounded his first-grade teacher constantly cursed at staff and teachers, tried to whip students with his belt and once choked another teacher “until she couldn’t breathe,” according to a legal notice filed by an attorney for the wounded teacher.

Two days before the shooting, the boy allegedly “slammed” Zwerner’s cellphone and broke it, according to the claim notice. He was given a one-day suspension, but when he returned to Zwerner’s class the following day, he pulled a 9mm handgun out of his pocket and shot her while she sat at a reading table, the notice says.

The choking incident described in the notice was confirmed by the teacher....The teacher requested anonymity because she fears potential retaliation from the school district. ....she reported the incident to school administrators, ....
The boy was later moved into another class in another school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆