VA - Amtrak Train hits garbage truck, 1 killed, Crozet, Jan 2018 *civil suit in 2021*

That older D bus crash does sound very similar to this R disaster doesnt it.

Both on some kind of retreat get together of some sort and both involved in a huge accident.
That older one was with a dump truck and this new train one was with a garbage truck.

Maybe karma is trying to tell them something. Just hope the rest of the people are ok.

It does -- when i saw it i thought oh god a dump truck give me a break

how on earth can gates and lights be ok??

its just weird

Amtrak's deadliest crashes in recent years

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.1.100....0.SDYmpdvUFYI

busses en route

I think 10 cars

truck belonged to Time Disposal.

This is local for me - there was no roadblock, this is a regular railroad crossing (with lights and gates). This was a public amtrak train with members of congress and other passengers. It was our local trash service truck (Time Disposal) that was struck and there was a driver along with two trash collectors. This crossing is at the top of an incline and I can only wonder if the truck somehow got stuck. Trains generally come thru this section reasonably slow, but clearly a train outweighs the truck. Horribly tragic.

not implying anything just trying visualize impact sequence and what then transpired

Ok gonna try this!! Here is the pull locomotive

15946256_G.jpg

second pic is the trail locomotive

the paint jobs are different

had at least 10 cars

we can tell from this it was hit on its right

it takes them real long time to stop but we can tell by the wreckage that is did stop with rear locamotive and the cab in view.

so i would i think it had to be dragged to end up during braking parallel to the last car -- otherwise we should not have them both in this shot

casue if it was hit and went right off the tracks at point of impact the truck would be in a different picture

it also fits with folks aboard describing as the train braked seeing debris -- pass them by.

So it seems it would have to have been hit further back the line and dragged BUT now that we have the two ends which help us with direction how could the lights and gates not be smashed if the front locomotive has a r 18 wheeler smashed on its nose , sideways and pass the intact lights and gate

rear of train and cab of truck being perpendicular does not add up does it

Is this logical or I am missing something
cache.php

Cole said the train stopped quickly after impact. He said several GOP lawmakers who are doctors got off the train to assist, including Rep. Brad Wenstrup, R-Ohio, who was also at last June’s shooting of Republicans at a baseball practice in nearby Alexandria, Virginia, and treated some of the victims.

Other doctor-lawmakers who helped included Reps. Michael Burgess, of Texas, Phil Roe of Tennessee, Larry Bucshon of Indiana, Roger Marshall of Kansas and Sen. Bill Cassidy, R-La.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/t...akers-hits-truck-1-on-truck-killed/ar-BBIwwNV

In fact due to these doctors selfless heroic efforts one of the seriously injured responded to their efforts as they worked on him, and he was life flighted out by helicopter.

No other vehicles involved? If as j_in_c said above, there was a driver and two other collectors, csn we assume one of these is the deceased and the other two are injured? How awful for the community and the other employees. I love my trash collectors, they work so hard in the worst weather conditions and traffic flow. Most of them are so friendly and try to be considerate of us old people. :tears:

I heard on the radio just a bit ago that there were some reports that the truck was perhaps stalled on the tracks.

According to numerous accounts, lawmakers on the scene sprung into action to help the injured, including by carrying one individual across the tracks to an ambulance. (Photo)

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...kers-to-gop-retreat-involved-in-accident.html

In a phone interview from the train, North Carolina Rep. Mark Walker described several helicopters in the air, saying there was also “lots of armed security” working to determine it was an accident and “there was no nefarious behavior.”

“We don't think that's the case,” he told Fox News.

The accident is the latest tragedy to affect congressional Republicans, who were targeted in a shooting last summer at a baseball practice in northern Virginia. The lawmaker most seriously injured in that attack, Rep. Steve Scalise, R-La., was not on the train Wednesday.

According to numerous accounts, lawmakers on the scene sprung into action to help the injured, including by carrying one individual across the tracks to an ambulance. (Photo)

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...kers-to-gop-retreat-involved-in-accident.html

From your link, I found this interesting:
. The train -- which had a functional engine on the other end -- was able to run in reverse back to Charlottesville, where members were taking buses to West Virginia.

No other vehicles involved? If as j_in_c said above, there was a driver and two other collectors, csn we assume one of these is the deceased and the other two are injured? How awful for the community and the other employees. I love my trash collectors, they work so hard in the worst weather conditions and traffic flow. Most of them are so friendly and try to be considerate of us old people. :tears:

how dare you were not old people were senoirs

ha

got to be the pitts you have to be sore it would bum me out if I hurt like heck and was at that delightful looking place

i am sure they have hot tubs and the spa folks better get ready for a lot of business\\

I am a baby -- I would have gone home and wait for pain to start !!

This is local for me - there was no roadblock, this is a regular railroad crossing (with lights and gates). This was a public amtrak train with members of congress and other passengers. It was our local trash service truck (Time Disposal) that was struck and there was a driver along with two trash collectors. This crossing is at the top of an incline and I can only wonder if the truck somehow got stuck. Trains generally come thru this section reasonably slow, but clearly a train outweighs the truck. Horribly tragic.

It appears the truck was hit at a previous crossing and then pushed to where the train stopped. This makes sense because the crossing arms where it stopped are not broken. I can't see them being intact if that's where the truck was when it was hit.

So the crossing they were hit at, is at the top of an incline?
Or the crossing where it came to a stop?
Would that incline make it so the train and truck couldn't see each other?
I can't figure out how two guys just standing on the back did not get away before the train hit. All they had to do was jump and run.

I heard on the radio just a bit ago that there were some reports that the truck was perhaps stalled on the tracks.

Stalled... I can see that. I still don't understand how none of the 3 people on the truck got away from it.
Were the ones on the back maybe wearing head phones and the one in the cab trying to save the truck?
That's the only way I can see nobody hearing/seeing the train coming and getting away from it.

It appears the truck was hit at a previous crossing and then pushed to where the train stopped. This makes sense because the crossing arms where it stopped are not broken. I can't see them being intact if that's where the truck was when it was hit.

I can't figure out how two guys just standing on the back did not get away before the train hit. All they had to do was jump and run.

Stalled... I can see that. I still don't understand how none of the 3 people on the truck got away from it.
Were the ones on the back maybe wearing head phones and the one in the cab trying to save the truck?
That's the only way I can see nobody hearing/seeing the train coming and getting away from it.

OH good TY

I am not nutsola -- what I think too.

It seems like however our notions would have been released and we should have pics of earlier impact scene??

It also strange that on the trailer we see no wheel sets - which would also make sense with being pushed down the track and shearing off as it went down the track

heard a local say that that crossing has had some issues before with low riding vehicles getting hung up -- bottoming out like

There was a study by NTSB quite a while back talking about how many of our crossings need to be regraded -- but no money

where is my NTSB!!

The truck was impacted at the crossing that is shown in the photos, it was not dragged from another crossing (there isn't one that close for it to have dragged from).

In response to those who mentioned the guys working the truck - if it is indeed the same crew that comes to my house (which seems likely at this point) - they are a wonderful crew that always engages with the little ones that come out to watch and who have gone up the driveway to grab a can that neighbors have forgotten to put out.

I don't quite know how to explain the crossing except to say that it is one with a warning for a trailer because you could easily bottom it out as you go up one side and down the other. This truck would have driven this route many, many times (unless there was a different driver or some other issue - I have not heard anything in that regard) and so it is hard to understand how it would get stuck there. There is a very long farm driveway next to the tracks and I have never noted if they put our trash cans or not. I am sure the investigation will turn up more information.

Like the D "pep rally" last year?

New Video Released; Questions Surround Motorcade’s Role In Fatal Wreck

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2017/...ions-surround-motorcades-role-in-fatal-wreck/

Just an FYI ...

This post is fine as it is comparing the specifics of the crash in this case to the specifics of a crash last year where politicians were in a vehicle that had a collision with a dump truck.

Comparison of the specifics is fine but don't let posts devolve into political discussion ... or else ;)

:wave:

I don't understand how people get killed by trains either. Hell you can FEEL them coming, not to mention the sound. Jump and run. In highschool I had a friend that got his car stuck on the tracks one day on the way to school. He tried and tried to get it off but couldn't. Fortunately you can see for a mile either direction either way so he was able to see the coal train coming. He got out and walked away in plenty of time. His car was totally destroyed. Even though the train engineer could see his car on the tracks from quite a ways away, there was no way to stop.

How are the crossing arms not broken if that's where the truck was hit? If the truck was ON the tracks there and was hit, how did it get past the crossing arms?

None of this makes any sense.

Maybe it was not AT a crossing? That could explain the being pushed and not breaking the crossing arms. If it tried to cross where there wasn't a crossing?

Though that doesn't make any sense either.

The truck was impacted at the crossing that is shown in the photos, it was not dragged from another crossing (there isn't one that close for it to have dragged from).

In response to those who mentioned the guys working the truck - if it is indeed the same crew that comes to my house (which seems likely at this point) - they are a wonderful crew that always engages with the little ones that come out to watch and who have gone up the driveway to grab a can that neighbors have forgotten to put out.

I don't quite know how to explain the crossing except to say that it is one with a warning for a trailer because you could easily bottom it out as you go up one side and down the other. This truck would have driven this route many, many times (unless there was a different driver or some other issue - I have not heard anything in that regard) and so it is hard to understand how it would get stuck there. There is a very long farm driveway next to the tracks and I have never noted if they put our trash cans or not. I am sure the investigation will turn up more information.

How are the crossing arms not broken if that's where the truck was hit? If the truck was ON the tracks there and was hit, how did it get past the crossing arms?

None of this makes any sense.

The only thing I can think of is that the truck must have been in between the arms, stopped on the track. That would go along with the idea it was stalled on the tracks. But why would the men stay with the truck?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustFab
Back