VA - Bethany Stephens, 21, mauled to death by her 2 dogs, Dec 2017

I think you just proved my point - once you hit the ground, dead or alive, you're fair game, an attack trigger.

Like this one?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/peoplesdaily/article-5061513/Dog-tries-wake-owner-passed-street.html

What loving dog would leave injuries consistent with a dog attack? My big dogs, which have awakened me, did so with barking or licking, not biting to the point where I looked like the victim of a dog attack.[/QUOTE]

A dog that doesn't understand?

Actually, this may be the case I was originally thinking of.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isabelle_Dinoire

....and do you still have this dog that tried to kill twice? Why didn't you have her put down immediately after she viciously attacked a child?

In the UK, as you know, it's almost inconceivable that a dog that had mauled a child would not be put down, regardless of the wishes of the owner.

"She was supposed to go take care of her dogs at her dad's house and come back," Barbara Norris, a friend of Bethany Stephens, said.

A man who used to work with Stephens at a dog training facility told CBS 6 that Stephens was very experienced working with animals, and loved her dogs.

He said she had one of them named "Tonk" for a while, and he could not imagine him doing this to her.

He said the other one was newer, but he thought it came from the same litter.

http://wtvr.com/2017/12/15/bethany-stephens-dead-mauled-to-death-by-pit-bull-dogs-goochland-county/

According to this “tonk” she had but the other was “newer”. Which would mean she raised one from a puppy.

although I find it somewhat odd her own dogs attacked her if they were not ever aggressive toward her or anyone) in the past, I do not think it is an impossibility. We really need to know what forensic evidence was found. The fact that her own relatives have asked for the dogs to be euthanized indicates they likely know more than we are hearing.

An attack this vicious would leave a lot of evidence on those dogs. I would be more curious to know why they may have attacked.

I've seen two fatal dog attacks, but not to people. In one, a pitbull and her puppies killed a beagle. There was blood on the female pit and her puppies when animal control went to their house. Their necks were covered in blood per the animal control officer.

The second attack, a Rottweiler attacked a sheep. Went for it's throat. Not a drop of blood was visible on the Rottweiler.

I'm pretty sure I've read of a case where a dog owner was later found to have died of natural causes but was found with post mortem injuries consistent with a dog attack. The suggestion is that the dog injured the owner's body inadvertently while trying to wake or help him.

I've tried to find a link to this report but it's a very difficult query to word.

I knew a man that died. It was several weeks before anyone realized he was dead. When found, his dogs had eaten on the man. Our local animal control and police felt the dogs were hungry and thus ate but that they didn't kill him. He died from a drug overdose. Those dogs didn't show aggression with the investigators or animal control.

Any breed is capable of attacking someone, the thing is is that the media love to report these incidents when they involve pits, rotties and other large breeds. My 15 pound rat terrier went after my 8 year old grandson and needed I don't remember how many stitches on his face, I later found out that my grandson provoked her because he kept poking her face, she snarled at him with a warning and he kept doing it anyway. I also worked at our county's humane society for years and I feared of being hurt by most of the smaller breeds than anything. I've only read one article about Bethany and haven't come to my own conclusion of what I think happened but anything is possible.

You are correct. ANY dog can bite under the right circumstances. My smallest is 7.5lbs. A mini dachshund. She is my only known biter. While a biter isn't something most owners would want, her damage would be minimum compared to a larger breed. She is closely monitored when anyone comes over. As in put in another room until the visitors leave.

I think you just proved my point - once you hit the ground, dead or alive, you're fair game, an attack trigger. What loving dog would leave injuries consistent with a dog attack? My big dogs, which have awakened me, did so with barking or licking, not biting to the point where I looked like the victim of a dog attack.

I don't know what triggered these dogs to attack their owner. I don't know what relationship they had. Was she a pushover on a day to day basis with them? Did she have to break up a fight and the dogs didn't accept her leadership role? I don't know. I would like to know more in these attacks to see if there's anything we can do to prevent them in the future.

May be right about the breed. Although from images it looks like a pit.

Snip
whom Agnew described as petite, 5-foot-1 and 125 pounds

Agnew said it took deputies hours to wrangle the dogs, which he estimated each weighed as much as Stephens.

http://www.richmond.com/news/local/...cle_ca98bbc2-3676-5121-b337-cdcfbc875293.html

Male 15.8–27.2 kg (35–60 lb)
Female 13.6–22.6 kg (30–50 lb)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Pit_Bull_Terrier

Males have a standard desirable height range of 23 to 26 inches (58 to 66 cm)[5] at the withers, with a minimum weight at maturity of 100 pounds (45 kg)[5] and a maximum weight of 65 kilograms (143 lb).[4] Females have a standard desirable height between 22 to 25 inches (56 to 64 cm)[5] at the withers, with a minimum weight at maturity of 85 pounds (39 kg)[5] and a maximum weight of 120 pounds (55 kg).[4]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perro_de_Presa_Canario

I agree with those having something other than what most call a 'pit bull'. I've seen some massive muscle mass in some pits, but if what the LE said about them weighing that much is true, then some other breed is there, whether full or mixed. Which brings me to another topic. A pit pull that has been bred for generations to produce whatever desired traits, whether aggression, the massive muscles, the short stance, etc, has IMO very dominate traits that then will appear if bred with another breed.

In my area, in the rescue world, we see many dogs that are immediately identified as pits by animal control, or at the local pound. I don't know that the dog DNA kits are really accurate, however, of the dogs that the DNA has been sent off, very few actually show a DNA of a bully breed. A good percentage has shown boxer in the breeds, which may account for the square head we see.

There ARE lines of bullies that are bred just for fighting. From what I have heard, seen, etc within the rescue world, those bred for fighting are typically dog aggressive, small animal aggressive, but even those most abused weren't aggressive towards people. I was told that was because the dogs were not to be aggressive in 'the pit' towards humans or they would be culled because the dog fighters didn't want to get bit. I cannot with 100% accuracy say it's true.

I have had people within rescue get highly upset with me, because I believe the breed does matter. Otherwise why would have so many different dog breeds? You don't take a poodle on a bear hunt! You don't use a Chihuahua as a search and rescue. You don't use a Great Pyrenees in agility. Dogs ARE bred for specific jobs. If a known line of bullies has been bred for fighting, IMO, it's a risk putting them around livestock, small children, other animals, and sadly it appears that there are some that can't be trusted around people.

I'd like more information about the alleged threats against Bethany, and the forced/tampered with kennel doors. So far I've only heard this on the video with her friend speaking. Is there any more info on this?

Thanks in advance.

I'm pretty sure I've read of a case where a dog owner was later found to have died of natural causes but was found with post mortem injuries consistent with a dog attack. The suggestion is that the dog injured the owner's body inadvertently while trying to wake or help him.

I've tried to find a link to this report but it's a very difficult query to word.
Yes! This was a question I also have.
Waiting for more to come out.
If they are so violent, why not kill her at home on their territory ? Out on a walk seems odd.
Waiting for more of this story.
ETA: her having them as fighting dogs ?
I'm not buying that one (yet)
MOO

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

"My daughter had been brutally and viciously mauled to death, she died from massive blood loss, her arms, legs, skull, face and major arteries savagely damaged. the coroner said she didn’t feel the pain as they went straight for the jugular and continued to shred until she was lifeless and unrecognizable. These were her family pit bulls that we raised from puppies.

She picked them out herself. They were treated as members of the family, loved, exercised, fed well, and respected…they savagely murdered the little girl who loved and cared for them the most in this world without a second thought, directly following they acted as if nothing happened. She hadn’t riled them up, she hadn’t abused them. She was happily playing in the other room, they came after her and pulled her out of my mothers arms to attack, maul and kill her."
http://heavy.com/news/2017/12/bethany-stephens-goochland-virginia-pit-bulls-pets/

BBM. Yep, true to form. The good doggies were just guarding the body. There are so many similarities in pitbull attacks, and the return to normal phase is one of them. Raised from puppies is another one.

:cow:

I'd like more information about the alleged threats against Bethany, and the forced/tampered with kennel doors. So far I've only heard this on the video with her friend speaking. Is there any more info on this?

Thanks in advance.

I have known lots of dogs, especially rots (Sarge) was mine, escape artist he was. Sweet as pie.. & a little simple minded. As far as the door being forced/hampered with it was probably the dogs jumped and pushing on it from the inside everytime they saw someone.

Eta. Who in the heck would mess with a door to 2 pits on the other side.

This is, of course, going to turn into a fight about whether pit bulls are inherently violent or not. Keeping my thoughts out of it, I think it's very clear that we can say that the dogs mauled her body at some point- there really isn't any other explanation for her injuries. Whether it was pre- or post-mortem seems to be the sticking point.

If it was post-mortem, is that common for all dog breeds? Would everyone's dogs essentially eat them as soon as they died, or is that unique to each dog?

Scary!

“Yeah, but this is a different breed…the power that comes behind the bull dog, pit bull, presa canario, the fighting breed – They have an extra boost, they can go into a zone, they don’t feel the pain anymore. … So if you are trying to create submission in a fighting breed, it’s not going to happen. They would rather die than surrender. If you add pain, it only infuriates them…to them pain is that adrenaline rush, they are looking forward to that, they are addicted to it… That’s why they are such great fighters. Especially with fighting breeds, you’re going to have these explosions over and over because there’s no limits in their brains.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had 2 large dogs. One, an 80 lb. intact male lab, the other a 125 lb. spayed female Dane. I could NEVER take them on a walk together without a problem. Alone, they were fine. Together, they were horrible and could become uncontrollable in the blink of an eye. They were the sweetest and most obedient, loving dogs, until out on a walk together and then they were unpredictable and often uncontrollable. They were both trained professionally at great expense but even this was no guarantee that they would not pose a danger to a person or animal. I stopped taking them for walks.

It all has to do with the pack mentality and instinctual behavior. These dogs were likely excited by an animal in the woods and their instinctual behavior turned to her as she tried to exercise control.

These dogs breeds have been bred to kill for hundreds of years, it is in their DNA and it should not be a surprise when they kill.

I am sorry that her dogs killed her but not surprised.

"She was supposed to go take care of her dogs at her dad's house and come back," Barbara Norris, a friend of Bethany Stephens, said.

A man who used to work with Stephens at a dog training facility told CBS 6 that Stephens was very experienced working with animals, and loved her dogs.

He said she had one of them named "Tonk" for a while, and he could not imagine him doing this to her.

He said the other one was newer, but he thought it came from the same litter.

http://wtvr.com/2017/12/15/bethany-stephens-dead-mauled-to-death-by-pit-bull-dogs-goochland-county/

According to this “tonk” she had but the other was “newer”. Which would mean she raised one from a puppy.

BBM - while this very well may be exactly what the police said happened, I'm somewhat confused.

"Bethany Lynn Stephens had been gone for about a day since*she left to*walk her dogs.*"

Dad goes out and he finds her at 8:20 pm, with the dogs guarding her body.

I've read a friend said the dogs slept with her in bed.

Where did she live?
With dad? Did she live somewhere else and dad kept dogs?
Does her dad also have any dogs?

She was supposed to go to HIS house to walk HER dogs and he waits a day (some reports say two days ) to report her and the dogs missing ??

I don't think we have the whole story yet. Something is missing. There seems to be a hole in the story.

During an attack they will often injure each other as well. Any jealousy between the two dogs? Did dogs have any injuries?

I see posters have mentioned DNA. Hers should be found in thier mouth, digestive tract and possibly in their excrement as well.

I understand in an attack dogs go for the throat first.
I'm not understanding all the bits of clothing found scattered or why anyone would wait even a day to report her missing if she was just going on a walk.

Maybe its just me, but I'd be alarmed after a few hours had passed and she hadn't returned.
What was the temp outside that night?

I'm not blaming the dad or anyone. He could have been out of town or she may have had a habit of taking the dogs and staying overnight at a friends house.

Sadly, in the end her dogs probably did kill her.
Which concerns me because my son and his girlfriend just got a 7 wk old pit and named her "Chewie"[emoji53]

I'll be paranoid the entire lifetime of this pup now !

MOO

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

If it was post-mortem, is that common for all dog breeds? Would everyone's dogs essentially eat them as soon as they died, or is that unique to each dog?

IIRC from reading a while back, it generally only happens when the deceased isn’t found for a few days and the dogs have no access to any other food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is, of course, going to turn into a fight about whether pit bulls are inherently violent or not.

ANY dog can turn violent in the right circumstances, but you're much less likely to survive an attack by a pitbull or a Rhodesian ridgeback than by a toy poodle or a chihuahua.

Ok. Dog lover subscribing.

So I once read about a woman who raised lion cubs and she was found dead and they suspecting it was a lion that did this to her but it was later found that she was actually murdered. Anyone know who I am thinking of? (Wow, I hope this wasn't just a dream I had!)

ETA: I wasn't just imaging things... It was Joy Adamson, she wrote Born Free. She was murdered by someone you Joy had previously employed.

I wonder what the situation is with death threats? That is interesting. Someone who had an issue with her enough to give her death threats could have followed her and had their own dogs go after her. The dogs could have fought with each other after they attacked her. Hopefully they do DNA to make sure it was those dogs that attacked her.

I certainly believe her dogs most likely attacked her though. I'm a dog trainer and specialized in rehabbing aggression for over 15 years of my 28 years training dogs. I finally stopped working with bully breeds. After seeing time and time again horrific bite wounds and barely provoked aggression. All dogs can be aggressive, it is perfectly normal in the dog world, but of course unacceptable in the domesticated pet world. So we have to work with a dog's nature to make sure they don't get pushed to the points where they feel they have to bite.

Honor posturing and growling as those are a dog's first communication that they are uncomfortable. Take note then work on the stimulus's that created them being uncomfortable so they don't have to go into a fear mode.

Anyway I do believe the theory that walking in the dark, if she fell, the dogs could have gotten over stimulated and attacked her. The pack mentality is amazing how it gives dogs so much more confidence if there is two or more of them. Or the theory that the two dogs had a scuffle and she got in the midst of it.

Also another theory is they encountered another dog(s). and those dogs started fighting and she tried to break them up.

With LE saying that they might have been raised to fight, maybe because of the wounds. A dog that bites out of fear, or their first time with bite hands or legs....a dog going for the throat has a mission in mind. Once they know the adrenal rush of killing or taste of blood, they can get very adept in their skill. Like the Preso that killed Diane in SF. That dog was allowed to kill farm animals etc, so was adept at his skill.

I had a coyote jump into my backyard in AZ and attack a 5 month old puppy, I walked in the house with my Saint Bernard and the puppy following, went to answer the phone. Heard a blood curdling scream and ran out and was able to kick the coyote in the stomach he dropped the puppy and scurried over the fence. There were just two puncture wounds on the puppy on his neck, had the coyote had a second more it could have bite down and broken the puppy's neck. Thank goodness I was able to be there. The puppy survived fine with little physical damage from the bite.

Thank you for this thoughtful and well written post.

Ok. Dog lover subscribing.

So I once read about a woman who raised lion cubs and she was found dead and they suspecting it was a lion that did this to her but it was later found that she was actually murdered. Anyone know who I am thinking of? (Wow, I hope this wasn't just a dream I had!)

ETA: I wasn't just imaging things... It was Joy Adamson, she wrote Born Free. She was murdered by someone you Joy had previously employed.

Is this who you are thinking of?

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2004/feb/08/kenya.conservation

Very tragic, to be sure, and with her being so petite, I could only wonder how she was able to handle 2 dog that weighed 100 lbs each during a walk. Maybe she could not, I do not know.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article190046779.html

I am glad to have come from a long line of cat people, a very long line.

I get some seriously weird looks whenever family pets are mentioned and I say no one in my immediate nor extended family has ever owned a dog.

http://heavy.com/news/2017/12/bethany-stephens-goochland-virginia-pit-bulls-pets/

BBM. Yep, true to form. The good doggies were just guarding the body. There are so many similarities in pitbull attacks, and the return to normal phase is one of them. Raised from puppies is another one.

:cow:

It’s pretty much true to form of any dog with even a semblance of a prey drive. Terriers, hounds, and many other breeds were bred to kill. It’s not just pit bulls, the problem with pits is that they are more powerful than other breeds. Add to this, over the past 30years, they have been indiscriminately bred for use as guard dogs for drug dealers, as well as misguided young men who see a tough dog as a symbol of masculinity. The combination of breeding for guarding (as found in breeds like Dottie’s and Dobermans)and for dog aggression and tenacity (terrriers) is a potent mistake. I know many dog people who breed various “pit”breeds for show. They have multiple dogs, and never have a dog attack a human (dog aggression definitely does exist however). The original pit was bred to have a soft mouth to humans, because it was ultimately the human that needed to be able to pull the dog out of the pit after the fight. As I said, they got much more dangerous when guard dog aggression began being mixed in, probably back in the 1970s or so, at the tail end of the Doberman craze (the previous dog of the drug dealers choice).
I have an Italian Greyhound. (Elmo). He is the sweetest dog on earth. When he goes out into his fenced area for potty and sees an animal such as a squirrel, rabbit or even a deer, he gets crazed. I also have a little Affenpinscher. (Roscoe), who was raised from a puppy alongside Elmo. They are the best of friends. If Roscoe is out in the run with Elmo when he sees an animal, he will be attacked. It’s misplaced aggression, and frustration. Luckily, I am pretty aware of my dogs tendencies and prevent things like this from happening. But attacking a loved one out of momentary misplaced aggression and frustration and then immediately returning to normal baseline is pretty much a natural prey drive in action. And dogs are predators. Pits are dangerous and should not be considered dogs everyone and anyone should own, but I do not think that the breeds themselves ought to be banned. Especially since there will always be a new breed to take its place -all it takes is a few generations and you can breed any behavior trait into a line that you want. That is the magic in the doggie genome.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back