VA - Boy, 6, in custody after shooting teacher, Newport News, Jan 2023 *mom charged* #3

Glad I ran across the article. I recommend the Ethan Crumbley Michigan school shooter thread.
Parents held accountable for a school shooting. Just sentenced today....10 to 15 years.

I check Wavy and WVEC every morning for an update. So glad you found this immediately.

Yes I believe parents should be held accountable for actions of their children. It's been an uphill battle, from day one to have anyone charged. The Newport News COP worked and fought long and hard to have anyone charge. Moo

It is said this was a "special grand jury" that indicted her. I would like to find out more about that. It could be just what they are called there, states have different names. But I am also wondering if this was outside the normal grand jury process. It certainly is a while after the shooting.

I am happy to see the assistant principal being held accountable for the safety of the other children in the school. This is really going to send a message, hopefully, to administrators, that they can't just ignore threats to teachers, or children who are significant danger to other children and staff.

I have seen it happen over and over, minimizing the danger and risk. And trying to put the problem on someone else. Teachers are there to teach, not manage one child who should have been placed in a different environment. Administration fail. Did they just not want to do the paperwork? Or make the hard calls? That is their job.

It is said this was a "special grand jury" that indicted her. I would like to find out more about that. It could be just what they are called there, states have different names. But I am also wondering if this was outside the normal grand jury process. It certainly is a while after the shooting.

NEWPORT NEWS, Va. — As the nation keeps a close eye on the case surrounding the shooting at Richneck Elementary School, investigators are keeping their eyes on school employees.
Newport News Commonwealth's Attorney Howard Gwynn requested a special grand jury to investigate if administrators' actions contributed to a 6-year-old boy shooting his teacher, Abby Zwerner.

"These activities specifically include investigating whether there were any security failures which contributed to the shooting," Howard Gywnn wrote in his petition filed in court Tuesday. "An investigation is warranted to determine the full scope of any criminal activity that occurred, the circumstances surrounding such activity, and to make such other recommendations as necessary to remedy those security failures in hopes that such a situation never occurs again."
It's case to request a special grand jury, according to James Duane, a professor with Regent University's School of Law.
Duane said the special grand jury will investigate if negligence played a role in this incident.

NEWPORT NEWS, Va. — As the nation keeps a close eye on the case surrounding the shooting at Richneck Elementary School, investigators are keeping their eyes on school employees.
Newport News Commonwealth's Attorney Howard Gwynn requested a special grand jury to investigate if administrators' actions contributed to a 6-year-old boy shooting his teacher, Abby Zwerner.

"These activities specifically include investigating whether there were any security failures which contributed to the shooting," Howard Gywnn wrote in his petition filed in court Tuesday. "An investigation is warranted to determine the full scope of any criminal activity that occurred, the circumstances surrounding such activity, and to make such other recommendations as necessary to remedy those security failures in hopes that such a situation never occurs again."
It's case to request a special grand jury, according to James Duane, a professor with Regent University's School of Law.
Duane said the special grand jury will investigate if negligence played a role in this incident.
Thanks. That answers some questions. It looks like the GJ is being used to investigate the entire situation.

I still want to know who was the master planner that allowed, instructed and then stopped the parents ( with known CPS history) to accompany this very troubled and dangerous boy to school in the months prior to the shooting of Abby.
What exactly was the plan? And, how/ why did it fail so miserably? Will we ever know those details?

I still want to know who was the master planner that allowed, instructed and then stopped the parents ( with known CPS history) to accompany this very troubled and dangerous boy to school in the months prior to the shooting of Abby.
What exactly was the plan? And, how/ why did it fail so miserably? Will we ever know those details?

Probably not, but I am sure it was the administration. The placement was a problem. So, solution was for the parents to come to school with their child? And, apparently, when they couldn't come, there was no plan?

That child was obviously a danger to other children, and adults. But, administration just shuts their door. LOL.

Does Parker remain a fugitive??!

According to court documents, the charges against Parker were filed on Mar. 11, and she is currently listed as a fugitive.

The Commonwealth's attorney is to release a statement tomorrow.

This sounds like one of those situations where they had a bunch of people who like to cause problems, so they can "solve" them. I sure hope they didn't WANT this teacher to get shot, but there has been speculation here and elsewhere that they did, for some unknown reason.

Does Parker remain a fugitive??!

According to court documents, the charges against Parker were filed on Mar. 11, and she is currently listed as a fugitive.

The Commonwealth's attorney is to release a statement tomorrow.

I guess the DA was going to remain quiet until media stumbled upon the charge.

Last edited:
This sounds like one of those situations where they had a bunch of people who like to cause problems, so they can "solve" them. I sure hope they didn't WANT this teacher to get shot, but there has been speculation here and elsewhere that they did, for some unknown reason.

Knowing school politics and office politics in general, that doesn't surprise me a bit. I have been in meetings, where it was "suggested" that children who were more challenging benefitted by being with the "best" teacher in the school.

Stack your class with the most "challenging" children, it doesn't take long to hate your job and quit. With zero support, as demonstrated here, it is apparent what was going on here.

Knowing school politics and office politics in general, that doesn't surprise me a bit. I have been in meetings, where it was "suggested" that children who were more challenging benefitted by being with the "best" teacher in the school.

Stack your class with the most "challenging" children, it doesn't take long to hate your job and quit. With zero support, as demonstrated here, it is apparent what was going on here.
Educational policies should definitely not be made by people who have never worked in the field, that's for sure.

There really are some kids for whom "educating" them really is an exercise in futility, and I'm not even talking about those with profound mental disabilities. But what should be done about them?

This is great news— thanks so much for the updates. I wonder if there will be any other indictments?

“The indictments allege that Parker "did commit a willful act or omission in the care of such students, in a manner so gross, wanton and culpable as to show a reckless disregard for human life."

“The special grand jury issued the indictments on March 11, and they were unsealed by court order Tuesday. A warrant was issued for Parker's arrest on Tuesday morning, but she's not yet in custody.”

“Parker, who resigned from her role after the shooting, is the first school official and second person charged in this case”

Ebony Parker has not responded to multiple attempts to reach her over the past year.
Her attorney in the criminal case, Curtis Rogers, could not be immediately reached for comment Tuesday.

Newport News Circuit Court documents list Parker as a fugitive. Prosecutors are recommending that Parker be held on a $4,000 secured bond upon arrest “and surrender of passport if one exists,” the Virginian-Pilot reported.

The Newport News special grand jury asserts Parker failed to take action. The eight indictments all read identically, mirroring language from Virginia’s child neglect statute.

“Being a person responsible for the care of students under the age of 18 at Richneck Elementary School,” the eight indictments each say, Parker committed “a willful act or omission in the care of such students” that was “so gross, wanton, and culpable as to show a reckless disregard for human life.”

Last edited:
I'm glad to see that she has been charged, including what looks like individual charges for the students in the class. Is it too much to want her to have a separate charge for everyone in that school?
How much prison time would she be looking at.
Abby will serve a lifetime of suffering from this shooting.

(local newspaper, published yesterday)

“The special grand jury issued the indictments March 11, but they were unsealed by a court order Tuesday. A warrant was issued for Parker’s arrest Tuesday morning, but she had not been arrested by the late afternoon.

The Newport News prosecutor’s office declined to comment on the indictments but is expected to release a report from the special grand jury on Wednesday afternoon.

Parker had worked for the Newport News school division since 2008 and had been Richneck’s assistant principal for about two years at the time of the shooting. She resigned a few weeks afterward.

She has not responded to multiple attempts to reach her over the past year.

Her attorney in the criminal case, Curtis Rogers, could not be immediately reached for comment Tuesday. According to court records, prosecutors are recommending that Parker could be released if she posts a $4,000 secured bond and surrenders her passports.”

Last edited:
Where is the NN Commonwealth's attorney hiding Deja Taylor, can't locate her in any prison? He really went to bat to try to keep her out of jail.

I've been checking the VA Inmate locator for months for Deja Taylor.
Not listed in any VA prison not the NN jail.

Where is Deja?
Taylor was sentenced to 5 years with 3 years suspended, plus 2 years supervised probation which must include substance abuse treatment, parenting classes, and mental health treatment. This is in addition to the twenty-one months of active prison time Taylor will serve for her Federal convictions. The two sentences must be served consecutively.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ramada.williams.gc@gmail.
Back