VA - Boy, 6, in custody after shooting teacher, Newport News, Jan 2023 *mom charged* #3

I hope so, but have my doubts with this DA. Moo

I've been unable to locate the mother, Deja Taylor at ANY state or federal prison, since her sentencing.
I really have concerns as well. The DA did nothing against the administrators for a long time. Only seemed to reluctantly charge the mother. I think this got turned to a "special GJ" instead of the regular process because the DA sort of doesn't want responsibility. But this indictment was a month ago, only now a warrant, and only $4,000 bond request on a fugitive. No comment that I can see from the DA. All this tells me the DA is really going to make this a priority.

I really have concerns as well. The DA did nothing against the administrators for a long time. Only seemed to reluctantly charge the mother. I think this got turned to a "special GJ" instead of the regular process because the DA sort of doesn't want responsibility. But this indictment was a month ago, only now a warrant, and only $4,000 bond request on a fugitive. No comment that I can see from the DA. All this tells me the DA is really going to make this a priority.
Totally agree. What's even more disturbing and I mentioned above is Deja Taylor it's not showing in any local, state, on federal prison.

Taylor is serving a two-year sentence at Western Tide Water Regional Jail for a felony child neglect charge. After that, Ellenson said she will serve a 21-month sentence in a federal prison for using marijuana while owning a gun. She could get out around the fall of 2027.

Attachments

• IMG_1904.jpeg
    IMG_1904.jpeg
    44.5 KB · Views: 5
here we go, so it begins. Accountability is coming.

Why do I feel accountability is only happening now because Abby decided to sue the ADMIN vs quietly taking a pay-off and disappearing in silence? I'm so glad she had her family's support and didn't go away I'm happy she spoke up! Otherwise, Ebony would still have a job and endanger more children in the future. In many of these cases, I notice a lack of true accountability, and how utterly frustrating that is.

Taylor is serving a two-year sentence at Western Tide Water Regional Jail for a felony child neglect charge. After that, Ellenson said she will serve a 21-month sentence in a federal prison for using marijuana while owning a gun. She could get out around the fall of 2027.

The link you provided is a private company. She does show up with an address of Newport News and the arrest was US Marshals, that would be the federal offense. She would not be housed in the Tidewater Regional Jail. She would need to be in a state or federal prison, if she was released to US Marshals.

I did check the Tidewater Regional Jail inmate search and she is not showing up. This is a State of Virginia website controlled by the Virginia Department of Corrections, I would assume it is correct.
I'm reposting the link, I did search with additional information using the Tidewater Regional Jail, nope.

The link you provided is a private company. She does show up with an address of Newport News and the arrest was US Marshals, that would be the federal offense. She would not be housed in the Tidewater Regional Jail. She would need to be in a state or federal prison, if she was released to US Marshals.

I did check the Tidewater Regional Jail inmate search and she is not showing up. This is a State of Virginia website controlled by the Virginia Department of Corrections, I would assume it is correct.
I'm reposting the link, I did search with additional information using the Tidewater Regional Jail, nope.

I was able to find her using inmate lookup link here:

I searched by last name only, her name appeared as 2nd in the list.

ETA: But, NO she doesn't appear using a VADOC search. (This is strange)

Last edited:
Inmate look Up
I was able to find her using inmate lookup link here:
I searched by last name only, her name appeared as 2nd in the list.
ETA: But, NO she doesn't appear using a VADOC search. (This is strange)
@fred&edna Yes, strange.
This is result from my search just now:
"503 Service Unavailable
"No server is available to handle this request."

^Inmate Lookup – Western Tidewater Regional Jail

Ap. 10 Release re “Special Grand Jury” by CW Atty Howard Glynn

“…Special Grand Jury empaneled on September 11, 2023, to investigate the shooting…
“empaneled at the request of… Gwynn, under Virginia Code § 19.2-206 (A)(iii)…”

“Virginia Code Section 19.2-213…
“Grand Jury wrote and filed their report..." included"
“1) charging former Assistant Principal Ebony Parker with eight counts of felony child neglect,
“2) issuing a public report of their findings and recommendations, and
“3) recommending further investigation into the failures to maintain and provide school records to law enforcement.

“Child Neglect…defined…Virginia Code 18.2-371(B)… carries a potential sentence of up to 5 years in prison for each count.”

“…this office will continue investigating whether individuals who worked for the school system obstructed justice.
“The charges related to Assistant Principal Ebony Parker are now pending matters, and this office will not comment on the facts or evidence to be presented in that case.”

^ Special Grand Jury Concludes Its Investigation and Report on the Shooting at Richneck Elementary School. — Commonwealth's Attorney

@Simply Southern TYVM for link. :)

and @PrairieWind

Last edited:
Stay Tuned
CW Atty's Public Release also announces:
“press conference” Thursday, April 11 at 11:00 AM."

But looks like not everybody is invited:
"Credentialed members of the press are invited to attend."
Gives url for locating office.

^ Special Grand Jury Concludes Its Investigation and Report on the Shooting at Richneck Elementary School. — Commonwealth's Attorney

"If you are a victim or witness in a trial, it can be helpful to talk to the prosecutor beforehand. You can call our office to set up a meeting either in person or by telephone. This will help you get ready for the trial..."

But ;) it gives directions & pix which seem helpful.

Commonwealth attorney report released
Document from GJ, 34 pages

@PrairieWind
Thank you @Simply Southern!
I can’t wait dig in to this. I hope I find some time this evening.

It could have been so much worse. From the article:

The gun a 6-year-old boy used to shoot his teacher last year jammed after firing the first shot, according to reports citing newly released special grand jury findings.

"The firearm had jammed due to his lack of strength on the first shot, inhibiting him from shooting Ms. (Abigail) Zwerner or anyone else again," the report said. "The firearm had a full magazine with seven additional bullets ready to fire if not for the jamming."

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caseymarie9316
Back