VA VA - Cassandra Morton, 23, Lynchburg, 10 Nov 2009

This is so sad...

equally sad is the fact that she has been missing this long with hardly any info, no searches, no media exposure...just does not seem right

no Nancy Grace....heck she did not even have a thread on this forum until now...

what were they thinking there in Virginia?? who else is missing?? very very sad

You r soo right, LM! Some laws need to be changed and there should be a national awareness re. this problem.

RIP may she be in Heaven.

Oh,this is so sad,I was hoping since her ms had been logged into recently,she had been found.I can't believe there's been no information on it,not even on local news.What is wrong that they can't inform the public to help in all missing cases,including runaways and to let us know there's a killer out there.Our local cable company has five minutes in the day every half an hour of just useless info for our area.Why can't that be used to find the missing,something of value to our community,these are families in our communities that need help finding thier loved ones.

This is so sad...

equally sad is the fact that she has been missing this long with hardly any info, no searches, no media exposure...just does not seem right

no Nancy Grace....heck she did not even have a thread on this forum until now...

I believe it's over 100 now mostly in the middle of Virginia,there is a serial killer if not more than one.

I asked a friend of mine in the local media about Cassandra and why there hadn't been more info or coverage about her case. He basically said the word among the area reporters is that she was involved in certain street activities and the media, rightfully so, doesn't want to disparage her or report those details.

Obviously no one, regardless of their background, deserves to be abducted and/or murdered. But sadly it does explain why some cases lack the same attention as others.

I asked a friend of mine in the local media about Cassandra and why there hadn't been more info or coverage about her case. He basically said the word among the area reporters is that she was involved in certain street activities and the media, rightfully so, doesn't want to disparage her or report those details.

Obviously no one, regardless of their background, deserves to be abducted and/or murdered. But sadly it does explain why some cases lack the same attention as others.

That is horrible and disgusting. So because she could have possibly been involved in some lets just call them.. non-legal extra curricular activities.. (Which may I add.. they had really no proof.. except some other jerk's word for it.. ) They didn't report on her? That's just shameful! :furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::furious:

That is horrible and disgusting. So because she could have possibly been involved in some lets just call them.. non-legal extra curricular activities.. (Which may I add.. they had really no proof.. except some other jerk's word for it.. ) They didn't report on her? That's just shameful! :furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::furious:

They did report on her. They didn't report her "activities" and background.

Also, while she was missing since Oct. 10, it appears she wasn't reported missing until early November. In a case like Morgan Harrington's for instance, she was reported missing the next day and her parents have been heavily involved in contacting various media outlets and getting her info out. Unfortunately I'm not sure that was the case with Cassandras family/friends.

ETA: Dreamweaver's link above states Cassandra was actually reported missing Oct. 14. For whatever reason, the news reports on her missing weren't made til early Nov.

Hmmm, all these years I thought it was Chandler's Mountain. I went to LU 20 years ago or so. No place is 100% safe, but while I was there I never heard of anything outside of cars being broken into.

May her family find comfort and closure. May her little daughters find love and guidance throughout their lives.

May Cassandra rest in peace.

This is so sad...

<snip>

Who was even looking for Cassandra? One article states that the only reason why the discovery garnered statewide interest was because the body was believed to be Morgan Harrington.

Cassandra was a loving mother, daughter and sister. She had a family who cared about her. She was not only a victim of foul play but also a victim of the disinterested media. Cassandra was last seen on October 10, 2009, but no article was written on her until she was missing for more than a month. To Cassandra and her family: I’m sorry more attention was not being paid to you.

more here

http://www.blackandmissing.org/2009/12/found-dead-and-ignored-cassandra-morton.html

Others are asking why it took so long for Cassandra's case to be mentioned in the "news".

They did report on her. They didn't report her "activities" and background.

Also, while she was missing since Oct. 10, it appears she wasn't reported missing until early November. In a case like Morgan Harrington's for instance, she was reported missing the next day and her parents have been heavily involved in contacting various media outlets and getting her info out. Unfortunately I'm not sure that was the case with Cassandras family/friends.

ETA: Dreamweaver's link above states Cassandra was actually reported missing Oct. 14. For whatever reason, the news reports on her missing weren't made til early Nov.

They did not until almost a month later.

Cassandra was last seen on October 10, 2009, but no article was written on her until she was missing for more than a month.
Black and Missing but not Forgotten

Your great "Journalist" friend explained why.. she supposedly had a shady background.. did anyone actually research it? Everyone who has come forward about her, they family, the store keeper across the street from her home, her friends.. all describe her as a good person who loved her family.. Someone really dropped the ball on Cassandra.. and it's sad to know that in order to get your missing person's case even a blurb in a local VA newspaper, you have to be a white middle class girl. The only reason why Morgan's parents have been so busy keeping her in the news, following leads and what not is because they have the money and resources to keep investigations going. They have lawyer friends and political friends to help them. This poor woman was swept under the rug to make time for some teen-age girl who dropped off the face of the earth after a rock concert.. She didn't have any babies wondering where their mommy is.. Instead Morgan has friends who are just carrying on with their lives as if nothing even happened. Cassandra's family and friends are devastated and heartbroken. She laid out on that mountain for almost two months before someone found her.. and if that kid hadn't been up there, she may have never been found. And the state of VA should be ashamed that they allowed this to happen.

/rant. jmo. imo. moo. whatever. :furious:

Does anyone think that Cassandra's case and Morgan's may be connected somehow? Rt 29 is almost a straight ride down from Charlottesville, 1 hour 45mins-2 hrs maybe at most.. i think that LE should search around where they found Cassandra's remains more..

Does anyone think that Cassandra's case and Morgan's may be connected somehow? Rt 29 is almost a straight ride down from Charlottesville, 1 hour 45mins-2 hrs maybe at most.. i think that LE should search around where they found Cassandra's remains more..

I wouldn't be surprised if they don't follow that angle.. I'm sure they might scour that whole mountain. (if that's what it is.. I'm not familiar with that area..)

jmo

Families of Missing Girls Meet to Raise Awareness
Posted: Saturday, December 7, 2013 3:32 PM EST
By Katie Brooke

Snipped:

The family is desperate for closure and wants to know any information about their daughter's death.

"I don't know if it's a cold case of what it is, but we haven't heard nothing in about a year. Not anything at all. Every time we call the private investigator, he tells us the same story over and over again," said Cassandra's Morton's parents.

http://www.wset.com/story/24161880/families-of-missing-girls-meet-to-raise-awareness

An old article:

Central Virginia's unsolved homicides
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2011 10:27 PM EST
By Carrie J. Sidener

Snipped:

A hiker discovered the body of a missing Lynchburg woman in a wooded area off a hiking trial on Candlers Mountain near Camp Hydaway Road in Campbell County.

Investigators believe Cassandra Morton’s body had been there for more than a month.

Morton was initially reported missing from her Campbell Avenue home on Oct. 14.

Investigators impounded a 1996 Chrysler sedan they believe Morton was riding in after they found trace evidence on the driver’s side door.

Morton didn’t really have a set pattern or routine in her life so investigators had difficulty establishing what happened to her in the days before she disappeared.

Investigators have followed up on hundreds of tips but have not been able to make an arrest.

http://www.wsls.com/story/20847880/central-virginias-unsolved-homicides

Another older article:

Investigators still searching for leads in Cassandra Morton case
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 6:33 AM EST
By Lynchburg News & Advance

Snipped:

Investigators have been referring to the case as a homicide, though they have not released the manner of death.

Morton had initially been reported missing in mid-October. Guthrie said the conditions of the body indicated that the remains had been at the site for about that long.

He added the Lynchburg Police Department is assisting in the investigation, as Morton was a resident of Lynchburg, and most of her activities would have been in the city.

http://www.wsls.com/story/20833601/investigators-still-searching-for-leads-in-cassandra-morton-case

An article from September 2010:

Year Later, Lynchburg Family Pleas for Answers in Daughter's Death
Posted: Sep 16, 2010 6:11 PM CDT
Reporter: Jeremy Mills

Snipped:

The Sheriff's Office says it will continue to actively investigate this case as long as it takes. When it comes to homicides, Campbell County investigators tell us there's no such thing as a cold case.

13169275_BG1.jpg

http://www.wset.com/global/story.asp?s=13169275

Families share grief for missing, and deceased loved ones
Posted: Sunday, December 8, 2013 3:45 am | Updated: 10:40 am, Wed Dec 11, 2013.
Barrett Mohrmann

Snipped:

The parents of 23-year-old Cassandra Morton asked that anyone with information on their daughter’s death come forward.

Morton was found dead on CandlersMountain in Dec. 2009, 48 days after she was reported missing. Investigators never named a suspect in Morton’s death.

http://www.newsadvance.com/news/local/article_330b4474-5f83-11e3-9ccd-001a4bcf6878.html

Call to action: Friends, family of Central Virginia victims come together after Jamisha Gilbert’s death
Courteney Stuart
12/11/13 at 12:40 PM

Snipped:

Cassandra Morton’s remains were discovered in a wooded area near Liberty University in Lynchburg, a month and a half after she disappeared, prompting brief media speculation that the remains belonged to Harrington, whose body was ultimately discovered in late January 2010 on a southern Albemarle County farm. Neither Morton’s nor Harrington’s killers have been found.

http://www.c-ville.com/call-to-acti...nd-missing-people-gather-after-another-death/

Families of Missing Women Work Together to Save the Next Girl
Posted: Saturday, December 7, 2013 8:30 PM EST Updated: Saturday, December 7, 2013 8:34 PM EST

Snipped:

The families of Cassandra Morton, Cara Holley, and Heather Hodges also spoke at Saturday’s event.

http://www.nbc29.com/story/24163178/families-of-missing-women-work-together-to-save-the-next-girl

There is a video at the link as well. Direct link to video:

http://www.nbc29.com/story/24163178...art=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=9611251

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back