VA VA - Chad Hunter Austin, 30, Buena Vista, Amhurst County, 27 May 2019 *Vehicle found

Discussion in 'Missing Persons Discussion' started by doodles1211, Jun 2, 2019.

1. StarEyes

StarEyes Well-Known Member

I’ve not seen any working theory from the family. I’ve read the fb page sporadically, so maybe I’ve missed it.

2. EmmaRose

EmmaRose Well-Known Member

I wonder if his own dog could track him.

JDough, Steelslady, LadyL and 6 others like this.
  3. StarEyes

StarEyes Well-Known Member

I wish.
    The fact that his dog was locked in the truck & iirc the windows were up...that is alarming to me. Nobody who loves their dog the way he surely seemed to love his would EVER leave their dog like that unless they’d only planned to step just outside the truck and right back in. The inside of a vehicle heats way hotter than the outside temp. Quickly. He’d never have put his dog in that situation. As to whatever happened to him, I don’t think he intended to be outside that truck more than a brief minute. I’m glad they rescued his dog out of the vehicle. If only our dogs could talk, because you know it likely knows what happened to him.:(
    jmo

bluenoser, JDough, Steelslady and 7 others like this.
  4. Podengo

Podengo Active Member

I worked for a place that trained S&R dogs and that is how we started every one!

5. 2Hope4

2Hope4 Well-Known Member

Too many cases on here of suicide where the person left their pet behind. People commit suicide and leave their human kids behind. One case, the woman had waited a month to adopt a cat, and within a week killed herself.

bluenoser, Cortne, misgrn and 5 others like this.
  6. Lalalou2

Lalalou2 Member

Hello. I am also from Buena Vista and I've been reading the posts from you all until I finally decided to create an account. I think it it important to know that according to the local newspaper, Chad's car was out of gas when it was found. It also said that he stopped at a gas station here in Buena Vista before heading up the mountain. The gas station attendant said he put in a total of $1.22 in gas, paying with coins. This article (which I believe includes pertinent details) was in the The News Gazette paper out of Lexington the week following his disappearance.

7. Lalalou2

Lalalou2 Member

I tried to find the article online but I can't find it. However, I do have pictures of the article on my phone.

StarEyes, misgrn, PommyMommy and 7 others like this.
  8. Simply Southern

Simply Southern Well-Known Member

Welcome to Websleuths!!!

So happy to have a local. I hope they find Chad safe.

Cortne, misgrn, j_in_c and 9 others like this.
  9. Lalalou2

Lalalou2 Member

Thanks! I hope, for his family's sake, that they do receive some answers. I know his mother and she is amazing. I hate that they are going through this.

bluenoser, StarEyes, Cortne and 10 others like this.
  10. Simply Southern

I tried as well, it seems to be a small newspaper with limited archived articles. The Roanoke news has not mentioned the gas.

11. Davia18

Davia18 Verified Human

Sorry for the circumstances bringing you to join us, do you know if there is active daily searches being conducted. Can you tell us about the terrain in which his vehicle was located ?

StarEyes, misgrn, PommyMommy and 4 others like this.
  12. Simply Southern

MOO, Could he have run out of gas and someone stopped to help him/give him a ride? It just seems odd he would leave his dog in the vehicle.

bluenoser, StarEyes, misgrn and 5 others like this.
  13. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

well why would he drive up the mountain knowing he was going to run out of gas and clearly had no other money ... the only reason I can think of is that he knew he was going to commit suicide and wouldn't be needing more gas

if he was just stepping out for a pee or a walk or a minute, he would've taken his dog so his dog could pee too

IMO he knew he wasn't coming back to the vehicle

Vail, hey-Debbie, bluenoser and 6 others like this.
  14. Dre

Dre Well-Known Member

I would 100% agree with this, UNLESS they found his car with all the windows rolled up. In that case i think something else (foul play, accident) happened as he likely wouldn’t want his pup to suffocate while waiting for someone to take notice..

15. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

except that he knew he wasn't coming back IMO
    he knew he wouldn't have gas to get back IMO
    so I think at that point, common sense has left and he's no longer thinking what is best for his dog or he's experiencing a distorted thought process that tells him he's doing the right thing by leaving his dog and that someone will rescue him

bluenoser, StarEyes, j_in_c and 4 others like this.
  16. Gardener1850

Gardener1850 Well-Known Member

17. Lalalou2

Lalalou2 Member

Well I question whether he had a leash for his dog. If he did run out of gas and was trying to find help .. he wouldn’t want to walk a dog down that mountain without one.

originally from: The News Gazette, Lexington, VA

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2019
  18. Lalalou2

Lalalou2 Member

I don’t know if you all are able to see the pictures of the article but I tried posting them

19. cutter99

cutter99 Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting the pictures of the article Lalalou2.

So at the end of the article it talks about Chad being charged with “unlawful wounding”. Does anyone know what this is in reference to?

Here is the criminal definition of unlawful wounding. Pretty serious stuff!

Malicious and Unlawful Wounding in Virginia

20. BlueRidgeCat

BlueRidgeCat New Member

I just created an account after years of looking on. Thanks for posting this! I live & work near the parkway and have been closely following this case. This article has given more information than anything I have seen. There are a few thing that have crossed my mind. The possibility of him running due to his pending case is possible, yet this case is a class 6 felony showing the act was not done maliciously and would not have too much of a punishment even if it went to completion. So it wouldn't really be worth it to run. Maybe he was scared & felt desperate and suicide could have been a possibility but why not leave the dog @ home? Sometimes when searching for someone they neglect to check the trees in the event of hanging (sorry but I had to mention that). Then there is a possibility of him falling into a "fugue state" after an injury or possible mental break. Hopefully he will be found or return unharmed.

StarEyes, misgrn, Lalalou2 and 8 others like this.